wow.. wtf 334mb inactive memory

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Inferno, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Inferno

Inferno New Member

i was checking my ministat widget, I have 334mb of inactive memory 370mb active, 60mb "wired" and 4mb free... what in the fuck of shit is taking up 334mb of ram and how do I stop that? is there anything for mac like there is msconfig for windows?

kthx :wavey:

2. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Widgets, Firefox (with a lot of tabs open), and any custom configs you have loading at startup.

3. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

Inactive memory is memory that the OS has reserved for apps/itself, but isnt in use right now. wired is memory in use by the OS, and active is memory in use by your apps.

4. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Oh, so if it says I have inactive memory, I really shouldn't matter?

SO I have lets say 300mb inactive and 300mb active and the rest wired, lets say. So I have no "free" memory, although lets say I want to open up photoshop (lets just say 80mb).. it will take that 80mb of memory from the inactive memory and use it for the active memory? being left with 380mb active and 220mb inactive?

Just checking if I'm getting this right :hs:

5. Devoidarex

Devoidarex Rexversusu v.2.0

Right now I have 1.00GB of inactive memory, 825MB active, 165MB wired, 27MB free and 128MB swap

Used total = 1.97GB out of 2

6. Inferno

Inferno New Member

whoa.. wtf do you have running

7. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

it really doesn't take a whole lot to use the memory like that and i think that's the root of your concern. if you consider just the OS and how basic things like the pixel representation of a window are represented to the OS (i.e. double buffered...after all, you drag a window around, but you still see every last detail in it while you move everything around), it quickly becomes clear why memory is consumed in the way that it is. it's not a bad thing.

what would be bad would be if you were swapping a lot of memory very frequently. swapping is where you need to use more RAM than you actually have, so the contents of RAM (which is fast) get pushed to the hard drive (which is at least a hundred times slower) temporarily and will later be retrieved when that pushed stuff is needed again. thrashing would be when this happens back and forth repeatedly. that would be a definite sign that you need more RAM and that's why adding more RAM might make your computer seem faster.

boy i just drifted all over the place.

8. Inferno

Inferno New Member

lol, well how do I know how often its swapping or thrashing?

9. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

you're fine. Inactive memory is not bad.

10. Inferno

Inferno New Member

okay, thx for clearing that up :wiggle: