wow, staples really cashes in on hard drive installs!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Nov 14, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i was looking at blackfriday.info, i figured i'd stand in line with my girl and get a couple of the 200 gig maxtor drives for $20 (after rebates, but staples has the best and easiest rebates IMO)

anyways, the staples page had a link to have it installed for you, i got a big kick out of all the requirements for the "installer" and the price to drive out to someones house and throw in a drive as a slave, about a 1 minute job at most

[​IMG]

all the upgrades: http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/mobiletech/upgrade.html

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Does that include the cost of the drive itself? I could see it if it were a $120 hard drive and a $30 installation with $10 in taxes, but $160 just to install it is bullshit.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I realllly doubt that includes the drive. No one, especially a big company like that, is going to send someone out to your house for $30. I wonder how many takers they get at those prices. The only one of those that's even close to realistic is the Windows installation. That takes 1-2hrs to do *right* (ie. all drivers installed and fully patched) but they probably don't even do that.

4. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

ninja edit: re-read your post... "read, re-read, reply". missed a couple steps there.

5. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

yeah pretty pricey

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I used to make sick amounts of money off service even when I was charging 40 bucks to put a drive in and 40 to 60 for virus and spyware removal.