GUN Would you trust a gun CABINET instead of a SAFE?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

I need a gun safe large enough to hold at least 5-6 rifles and also have a TON of room for all my accessories, etc. The ones that meet this criteria are just really high in price, I checked out some Sentry safes today at Home Depot and while there was enough room to hold all my guns there wasn't any room at all for storage of accessories, etc. except a small shelf on top.

Outdoor World has this large steel gun "cabinet" that locks with a key, it has a TON of room for all my rifles and a TON of room for accessories.

Here is a pic of it:

[​IMG]

It's not solid steel or anything, it's just steel panels and is almost exactly like those big red Craftsman toolboxes and whatnot. I don't care about fire protection or any burglar breaking into it or anything like that, I just want a good place to store my guns and accessories without anyone (i.e. my parents) getting into them.

What do you guys think? It's $199

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'de go with a regular safe keep the guns in there accessories elsewhere. My safes are pretty much strictly guns no room for anything else, all my extra mags and ammo are elsewhere

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well it'll keep your parents from getting in but isn't much in the way of theft protection. you don't care about theives now, but one day you will be glad you did. I think it would be better to spend another $100 on a real safe for the guns, and build/buy an ammo/accessory storage trunk.

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

You posted in a couple of these.. what is an example of something you would recommend? for someone on a budget.

I would mainly need to get out of reach of children...

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well like soybomb said maybe right now your not concerned at all with security other then your parents but down the road I'm sure you will be, If the pictured cabinets are like the ones I'm thinking a flat head screw driver and you can poppem open. you can get a halfway decent safe for under 400ish if you look around. Theres a couple other threads with safes in them, Lowes has one for $370 or so, Its not fire proof, and its not going to stop a real determined thief but it'll keep any family out and more casual thiefs it can be bolted to the floor. I believe the Lowes one is 12 gun, realisticly 8 guns will fit. If you got a little more to spend check out local shops I got a good deal on my safe it was a floor model and i got a couple hundred discounted off of it. In an ideal enviroment I'de love to be able to keep all my ammo, magazines, etc in the safe too but as long as I can keep the weapons secured I'm happy. Keep your eyes open for any sporting goods places flyers before christmas may find good deals, I know on blackfriday lowes had $100 off the $370 safe

6. Y2kAccord

My Main concern is keeping kids out of it.. not really concerned with fire.. never really thought about theft... If someone wants to be in my house and spend an hour to break open my safe and take my 1-2 guns that would be in there right now.. they need it more than I.. and it would be insured anyway.
    I have an alarm so if they tried this when I wasnt home the alarm would likely run them off.

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well the metal cabinet in the first post you only need a flat screwdriver and pry it right open very easily and quickly. Most other safes at the very least will keep out a common criminal. And as far as kids as long as there well behaved the metal cabinet will keep them out, if their not well like a said flathead screwdriver and a little presure and its open. My safe is suppose to be fire rated but honestly if it was in the middle of a fire I'm pretty sure things would be damaged.

8. Y2kAccord

My thought fire or theft they could be replaced with insurance.. I thought about just a safe that could keep kids out, I dont know about a metal box. My daughter is two and how I am doubtful she could load a magazine and chamber a round and engage two external safetys and get a round off, I am still rather safe than sorry.
    I dont want to spend too much, but again, dont want something that can be opened with a screwdriver.

Also curious about either the electronic buttons or the good old fashion combo lock.. they have some with a keys.. but keys can get lost. I tried in the store to open the combo locks with no luck :hs:

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Talk to some locksmiths and see if they've found cheap safe's with electronic locks to be reliable. I thought it'd be neat...but I have a dial after talking to a few :)

As far as insurance, check into it. Some people have found their homeowners policy only covers guns if they are stored in a certain fashion. Otherwise you may eventually start to accumulate guns that are out of production or hard to find and you might want them safe just for the hassle of having to replace them.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As check to see what your policy says about storage. I dont know what guns you got now but if you got anything sentimental or collectible the money may not replace it, I have a couple rifles that were my fathers not exactly worth much but he passed away many years ago so they do have sentimental meaning to me, Their probably only worth a couple hundred bucks each but I rather lose one of my $2k guns then one of them. Also have a couple others that are no longer allowed to be imported. Your kids young now so any sort of locked cabinet works but may as well think about the future now. I prefer dials over the keypad stuff.

11. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

I have one of those Stack-On cheap pieces of shit. Why? Because when I was younger, I wanted to keep my brother outta my stuff when I lived at my parents house. Did it work, yes. You know why? Because he didn't take a crow bar to it.

They are sheet metal. They are worthless. They weigh, like, 40 pounds -- wet.

Dude, FACE REALITY! Spend pennies, and you'll get equal protection. A fire would melt that bitch in 3 minutes. I can gar-un-damn-tee you that I could get into that thing in less than 30 seconds.

If you want to secure your guns, then sacrafice a gun or two and buy a real safe. End of discussion.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

/thread

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think some people get a false sense of confidence over slightly more expensive safes too though so I wouldn't totally discount the stack-on

For example here is a photo of a liberty safe that met a sledge hammer.
    [​IMG]

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If someones determined enough no amount of security can keep them out, but if it keeps out the average thief I'm happy. I think most thieves want to get in and out as quickly as posible the safe is just there to deter them, if they know you have a valuable collection in it well then I dunno, but if they just broke in to steal some electronics and shit theres a decent chance they'll pass the safe up.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Agreed, I think some people just think that their $1000 safe is fort knox, and a $100 cabinet is going to just fall open. If I was really on a budget, I'd rather have a stack-on than nothing. Adding an addtional hasp and padlock probably wouldn't hurt it either. I'd get a $300 safe and a $100 stack on cabinet for accessories if a safe for everything in my price range wasn't large enough though.

16. Accord

Accord New Member

What if you absolutely positively 100% do not care at all about a thief breaking in and stealing your guns? The only things I plan on keeping in it are my guns and accessories, and if a thief wants them that bad, they can havem. Also if there's a fire, my guns are probably the one of the last things i'd try to save.

The only thing I want it for is to keep my parents/friends out of it, and neither of them are going to be taking a sledge hammer to it.

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

well you answered your question then get the stackon

18. Dranian

Dranian (..)

if all you want is to keep your friends and parents out, and you don't care about fires go for it. as far as burglary, its probably no less secure than a cheap safe. i'm sure it can be opened with a crowbar but with a little practice a lot of safes can be opened with a stethoscope that costs $10 at wal-greens.

outdoor world by i-95 and griffin?

19. Accord

Accord New Member

yup.

20. Dranian

Dranian (..)

wow, you live right by me then. we should go to the range sometime.

21. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm about 30-35 minutes north of Outdoor World.

What range do you go to? Markham Park?

22. Dranian

Dranian (..)

i've been to a few, i don't have much time to go as often as i'd like, theres one in hollywood wich sucks and outdoor world has a range wich isn't bad. i've never been to te one at markham park, didn't even know there was one there. i'm a bit north of there as well, in plantation, not pembroke pines like my location user text says.

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

24. Accord

Accord New Member

When I was at outdoor world a few days ago and they had a sign posted at the front door which said all shooting and archery ranges were closed indefinitely :hs:. Were the ranges indoors?