MMA would you take a fight against a teammate v.debate

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Nomad, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

or would you leave it to the promoter to tell you that you have to fight your teammate for a potential title shot?

reason for discussion

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Tough situation. I don't think I could do it.

3. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

if you have two guys, and they both are going to clean house with potential title contenders, but they wont fight eachother, cut one of them. Problem solved.

4. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Yes. If you're a fighter, you fight. It's your job, and it's what you chose to do with your life.

5. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

This is a job for these guys, right? It's not like a hobby or something like it is for most of us.

That being the case, I don't think they should have the option. If a fight between Fitch and Kos is necessary and it's what fans want to see, and it's what Dana and Silva want to put money up to promote, then they need to fight. Period.

6. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

It's a job at the end of the day, train get paid go in compete and put on a show against your teammate. When the winner's declared shake hands and go back to training.

7. JJ

JJ Active Member

Funny he talks about them but I didn't hear Anderson silva or Lyoto machida once

8. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

they're champs in different weight classes

9. Joe_Cool

- Dana White, TUF 1

Unless your name is Anderson Silva, amirite?

10. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

11. JJ

JJ Active Member

People aren't concerned with titles in that one. It's a superfight. Personally I want to see Anderson vs Shogun more than anything but well see what happends

12. Joe_Cool

My best friend and I train together, and neither of us would have any qualms going against each other.

Well, I would have some qualms, because he'd stomp me. But not because we're friends.

13. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Weak if they dont. Cut 1 of them or both.

14. Toodles

Toodles You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the w OT Supporter

I'll say by the end of this year, the AKA WW trio is going to dismantle apart.

15. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I dont see the problem here. In a division that is dominated by GSP, where people are bitching about him not having anyone else to fight, why are you weeding out two top contenders by having them fight each other. Give them both a shot, one after another. I would rather see Kos or Fitch get a second shot before giving Hardy a first.

16. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I can't do it man. I can't inflict damage on people I care about its fucked :hs: I eat hard shots in sparring because I'll ease up and get caught with a hook when I have him cornered by not going for the "kill".

I think it's kinda unfair because they most likely all spar together and know each others weakness/faults better then even themselves. I know I could never do it but chances I'd ever have to are 0 anyway :hs:

17. Joe_Cool

If you feel like it's something you can't do to a friend, then you're doing it wrong. It's like you're fighting angry or something, not just practicing a sport. Would you play football or basketball or hockey against your friends/teammates? If so, then why not an MMA fight?

18. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I am a very timid person I guess. I didn't find that out till I started sparring with friends :rofl:. I do have to want to actually inflict damage to someone in order for me to actually fight them. I have never been in a fight since I've started training though and it has actually helped me avoid them :dunno:. I've played other sports and yes have gone full out, but that's completely different to punching your friend in the face for real. I am not that type of person and I can't explain why, just who I am.

I can roll 100% if they want but any standup stuff I'll hit them like 50%power and also 50% speed when I really shouldn't be letting up so much.

19. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

because not everyone is wired the same, not everyone has the same feelings or morals. if you want to demand that teammates fight eachother, then fire the ones that wont sign on the dotted line. I am sure strikeforce wont mind holding the ATT and AKA leftovers.

20. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I can't imagine myself ever competing for money, so no. If he is better than me, I'll forfeit.

21. Basil McRae

Basil McRae Fading the public

If it puts you in a spot to up your career or get ahead, then absolutely. Id fight my best friend if I had to, to get a title shot, or make more money. These guys are professional. Its no different than brothers playing against each other in the NFL. You do what you have to do.
    Obviously, there would be no bad blood after the fight, and whatever happens in the octagon stays in the octagon. you COMPETE for the 15 minutes, and its over.

Friends/Teammates have faught in the TUF house, and nothing has been said...but when its two well knowns such as Fitch and Kos to get a title shot...its a bad thing?

22. prophit

prophit OT Supporter

My main issue with teammates having to fight each other is in determining who gets the preferential treatment. One of them is not going to be able to train with the camp they're normally able to train with and that puts them at a very distinct disadvantage. Not really fair to the fighter imo. :dunno:

It's not like the UFC has a fuckload of legit contenders in that division anyhow. GSP has already fought all three of them. With nobody else really knocking at the door just let them fight him in order. Who cares.

23. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

If I had to I would fight a teammate, I don't see why you can't train somewhere else. I mean it's ultimately your responsibility to make sure you're ready, not your teammates, or your team.

24. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

Meh, the second the bell rings and I take a good shot to the face I forget the whole teammate thing and just consider it as another opponent

:dunno:

25. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Its a sport fight don't confuse it with a non sport fight where you hate the guy. So yes I would taken and have taken fights against team mates.