would you take a contract job like this?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Jun 12, 2008.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

assuming you apply and are accepted of course

Hi,
    My name is Cathy and I'm an IT recruiter at Pomeroy IT Solutions. Our records show that you are an experienced IT professional that might be interested in a position we currently have available with one of our clients.
    Our client located in Cleveland, OH has a need for a Senior Desktop Support with the following experience:

Desktop technician position
    This is a 3-6 month contract position that could extend much longer.
    Pay $25-30 per hour depending on experience
    No benefits
    • Set up 500 workstations
    • Establish connectivity
    • Set up wireless
    • Set up printing
    • Add to Active Directory and Group Policy Administration
    • Performs full range of desktop and remote administration and support
    • Performs setup, support, and troubleshooting for all systems, networks, and applications
    • Must have large IT environment experience!
    • Will be visiting end-users doing desktop support, must be very professional
    The hours from July to September should be normal business hours 8-5PM After September, possibility the hours may move to Tuesday through Saturday

Smoke free environment
    Will be asked to take a TB and Nicotine test
    MUST BE ABLE TO PASS A BACKGROUND CHECK & DRUG SCREEN
    Professional environment strict dress code enforced.

wtf tb and nicotine test??
    i would guess that a contract job looks decent on a resume and might lead to bigger and better things. i wouldn't want to be thrown into something without training or a team/partner though

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sounds very easy

i kinda understand the nicotine test, although I'm surprised they actually test for it.

I do not like smokers. They abuse breaks like a mofo. they spend as much time outside as they do inside working.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

yes, i agree.

it does sound easy, like an initial installation at some business. i'd have to figure out the terms of it.
    i just graduated and something like this might be what i need to do
    obviously i wouldn't want to quit my current job just for a contract job though...i need steady work

4. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Easy work, even with minimal experience doing this sort of thing, it could be done in three months.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it should be done in LESS than three months.

500 workstations take 12.5 weeks (3 months) assuming you work a 40 hour week (no overtime) and you waste an hour on each machine.

I think you should be able to setup a machine in 15 minutes. 30minutes would be going slow.

6. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Agreed. If you have multiple computers per room, even less than that. Hook up 4 or 5 at a time, start the imaging process, go set up the next room, start it, go back and finish the others, etc.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yep. no reason you can't do em in batches of at least 10.

500 machines sounds like a big floor of cubicles, or possibly a call center. Should make setup VERY easy.

8. Neuman

Neuman New Member

do it! sounds like it may get a bit boring but I do AD setup/maintenance shit and don't get paid that much....

9. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

FUCK Pomeroy dude. They're based in my area, and they have a bad habit of hiring a bunch of people and then laying them off when they're do for promotion. Also, their quality of service has really gone down the shitter in the last 5 years.

10. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Right now, no. If I was looking for work, in a damn heartbeat I'd go for it. I spent 3+yrs working for a college for about $12/hr. I dropped that long term position for a 6mo contract that paid $24/hr and I'd get to do more stuff. I've now been there almost 9 months with no indication of things ending any time soon. I'd say it's been a pretty good move financially and career-wise, even if it's not exactly permanent and I have no benefits. I pretty much have the experience this Cathy person mentions, but I wouldn't leave where I'm at currently for something that could only be a few months. I'm already established where I'm at and things are going pretty well. But if I was in need of work, it sounds like it would be an interesting and worthwhile opportunity.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

TB and Nicotine and Drug tests for $25-30 an hour? These clowns can get fucked. You could do that job smoking, with tuberculosis on PCP.

12. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I have to say, I'm not familiar with nicotine tests - would you come up positive if you smoked after work the night before, and then had to test the morning after? Or is it only a several hour span?

13. PcH

PcH Guest

There can ALWAYS be a situation where something goes wrong that can slow time. Not even being pessimistic here :noes:

14. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I have to disagree with this completely. Most people (including me) that I have worked with that smoke go outside and have a cig, ~4/5min, and mabey bullshit for another minute or two and go back to work. Those who don't smoke go to the cafeteria/break room for 10-15min and then back to work. Even if the smokers take 1 extra break during the day they still spend less time 'on break'.

There are always those lazy bastards who just completely abuse their breaks but are non-smokers just as much as smokers.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not from what I've seen. The smokers were always taking more breaks. When I cracked down on it, I noticed productivity went down considerably as they all bitched at each other on how much they need a cigerette.

I have a good friend that is an excellent electrician... But we always have to have our discussions outside because he inevitably has a fag in his mouth. Whenever I need him to do some work for me, it always takes him longer than expected. I've helped him, on occassion, and we'll be in the middle of something and he just gets this glazed-over look in his eyes and says "I need to smoke". he does great work, but come-on.