TAT Would you still get a tattoo if your family/spouse was completely against it?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by KeeWee, Jul 29, 2008.

1. KeeWee

KeeWee New Member

I've been thinking about getting a small tattoo in honour of my son. It will be somewhere on my back where I can show it if I want to, or keep it hidden for work. I do not have any tattoos, so I'm a fresh canvas!

My husband is dead set against this, and because he is my husband, his opinion does matter to me. He does not like tattoos at all, and looks at me with disgust when I mention it. I know if my family knew I had one, they would be disappointed in me because they are so against it as well. I am extremely close to my family and I don't want to cause problems.

What should I do? I keep postponing the idea because I'm worried my husband or family will think less of me. :(

2. MarshyTheKid

MarshyTheKid New Member

Family should love you regardless of what you choose to do. If they think less of you for getting a tattoo for something you believe in, what does that say about them?

3. ihaveanevilplan

ihaveanevilplan Everybody wake up, wake up, it's time to get down Moderator

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (i has an evil wap device: LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

i've been wanting to get a tribute tattoo for my mom who passed away...one of the main things stopping me is my family's traditional asian values. My dad and grandmother would be less than thrilled

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  4. kiss kiss bang bang

kiss kiss bang bang New Member

my life my way

5. eelliiss

eelliiss Active Member

True.

I'm from a very traditional Asian family as well and I have a fair amount of very visible coverage. Your family will come around. Although they may be less than happy with your decision, they won't fault you as their daughter, wife, etc., etc.

At least I'd hope not.

6. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

why are they so against them?

7. Original

Original OT Supporter

:werd:

:werd: there are tons of things people will encourage you not to do.. but it's your choice and they should stand by it regardless.

8. nvusgt

nvusgt New Member

hate to be just another person jumping on the asain boat....uh lol but ya.

my mother and her side of the family weren't that happy about my tattoos, but being family they accepted me for me.

no one knows whats gonna happen till it happens.

9. Two toys

Two toys New Member

my mom said no tattoos so i had my skin peeled off instead.. lol

do what you want with your body. thats somethign you should discuss prior to getting married. granted its not a deal breaker and shouldnt be, its still a big part of my life and i wouldnt want my wife (when i have one) to tell me i couldnt get tattood. I date some girls that think its terrible, and in the back of my head i know i'd never stay with them, i want my girl to be full of tattoos.

10. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

No. I would like to get half sleeves, but my wife is not a fan. Mostly, I think it's the money issue. There are far better things to spend that kind of money on right now. She like tattoos, but she does not like sleeves. I'll be honest, if she wanted to get a face or neck tattoo, I'd be completely against it. I find it very unattractive.

11. FrozenSTi

FrozenSTi This site WILL get me in trouble......

IMO, since you don't have any tattoos already then don't bother with this one. I'm sure that you want this tattoo to have a deep meaning to you. It sounds like the only real feelings you will achieve with it is bitterness towards your family that choose not to support you. Find a new way to honor your son.

12. KeeWee

KeeWee New Member

Thank you so much for your comments! I don't want to cause problems with my hubby or parents - their reactions were less than desirable when I got my ear pierced at the top! I just find that a small, tasteful tattoo can be really sexy and attractive and just beautiful. For me.

I guess I will have to rethink this (again)...the reason I hold back is out of respect for my husband (he wants my skin to be "untouched" by ink), and like what ihaveaneveilplan said...it seems that asian families seem to be more against it, from what I've seen...

13. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

I'll ask again... WHY DOES HE NOT LIKE THEM?

14. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

my mom went through the same thing, always wanted a tattoo, but my step-dad was dead set against it... needless to say when she left him, the 1st thing she did was go out and get a tattoo.... a really shitty tattoo, but at least she got it done.

I'm lucky that my wife is supportive (for the most part) of me getting tattoo's and has some herself and is talking about getting a sleeve.

15. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

sounds almost like a body=temple type thing....

16. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

got tatts before i meet my wife, she has no problem with them, in fact when we meet she didn't have any, now she has 5 and wants more

my mom is now gone, was not thrilled, but she told me it was my body and i can do what i want, just not expect her to like the tattoos, but it was not going to change her view of me

17. Hogzilla

Hogzilla New Member

Growing up my dad instilled in me that "women with tattoos are whores" and forbade me from ever getting one. I am now nearly 30 and have a half sleeve and most of my back done. He still makes me feel like garbage every time tattoos come up in conversation, fortunately i live 3000 miles away now.

I already had all my tattoos when I met my boyfriend, he hated tattoos and piercings and wanted me to get them lasered off. We've been living together for 3 years now, he says he doesn't even notice them anymore and has even recently encouraged me to get them worked on again.

18. blaq19

blaq19 New Member

My family has and still does hate all of my tattoos and think I'm going to hell for them! I've had holy water splashed on me, yet I still get more.

Why? It's my body and I love the culture and your own creativity expressed in your own way. You shouldn't have to worry about anything other than.

19. sorryforya

sorryforya New Member

"Do everything you want to do before you die." I tell everyone that when they ask me why I got my tattoos or why I do what I do. Why? We only have one life. It would suck not to do something because someone else thinks you shouldn't do it.

20. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Yeah, see...that's not cool to me. Not liking the way tattoos look in certain areas is WAY different than a blanket statement of "untouched." Does your husband want all your freckles and birthmarks any any other blemish gone from your skin. My wife wouldn't divorce me if I went and got another tattoo. She'd be pissed I spent the money. She has more tattoos than I.

21. Lindsay Loo

Lindsay Loo ミ★ Mikel's POZ Partner ミ★

mother fucking dot. everytime i get something new, the first person i show is my mom... im trying to warm her up to my crazy ways :mamoru:

22. kiss kiss bang bang

kiss kiss bang bang New Member

when i got my hand tattooed i was like "HEY MOM! LOOK! NO TURNING BACK NOW!!! YOUR KIDS SCUM!!!", but her first reaction was "thats pretty cool"

23. Tron

Tron New Member

my mom has more tattoos than me :wtc: its not fair

24. KeeWee

KeeWee New Member

Well, those are not exactly put their on purpose.

As for the question about why they don't like it, it was like when I kept getting my ears pierced - they thought I wouldn't look lady-like, and that's pretty much their opinion on tattoos as well.

25. SmokeDog420

SmokeDog420 New Member