Would you pay $4000 US for a Pulsar GTI-R?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Diesel Fumes, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

Im greedy and want another one. Found one in pristine condition with 100,000km on it. $4000 would be the final price to have it in my driveway. As far as Japanese cars go, this is a grade 4.0, the highest for a car of this age. No major issues with anything on the car. Slightly modded as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have one coming already, but I figured I should buy two, so I can sell the one I dont like as much. I know the market price of this car will be roughly 10,000 CDN or like 9000USD. At least from what I have seen. You think its a good deal for 4 grand? Im looking to finalize this offer on Monday.

2. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

It's a 1991. Even if the engine is bad, an overhaul would make this car worth close to 15k on the used market. Insane really. But its like a game of Russian Roulette. I know it has no accident history, but I could get it and realize that it runs poorly, needs a clutch job or other drivetrain work done to it.

If you're not familiar with GTI-R, it uses the SR20DET and AWD. HP figures vary, but stock they make 230-237hp and can easily be tweaked to 300 :noes:

3. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I had a chance to buy a modded one for the same cost... I wish I were in a better position to buy one, it seemed like a killer deal

4. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

i'd say its a good deal. i have do disagree with the resale value being between $9-15k, though. i'd say a pretty well modded one in great condition would go for more like $7k tops. its not a skyline, lol.

how do you plan to make it legal in the us? or do you plan to at all?

5. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

You will probably need 2, so you will have a spare to drive when the other is off the road.

Should probably make that 4, 3 spares would be sufficient...

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

that thing is weird lookin

7. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

I live in Canada so its legal here and can be driven into the states, I guess?

http://www.canadatrader.com/usedcarcanadasearch/details/26249220/car/prince_albert/saskatchewan/1991_NISSAN_PULSAR_GTI-r_26249220.html

They regularly sell for these kinds of prices in my area.

Heres one for 13,900
    http://www.hoobly.com/0/0/163431.html

10000 for this one
    http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=25345466&pgno=1&srt=1

The right person will buy it on impulse for up to 15k if its properly modded and in great shape, I have no doubt about that. CDN dollar figure though of course.

This guy wants 15k USD for his off-road use only GTIR's
    http://www.rallyclassified.com/detail.php?cat=41&de=1996

Tastefully modified is with a BOV, boost controller, upgraded fuel pump and front mount and other minor mods and 320hp.

They aren't GTR's, but you could argue that they are just as fast and sought after :)

8. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

I would have to say, I would take one over an R32 GTR. Only because despite how unreliable or troublesome they are, they have absolutely nothing on what I have seen people spend on gtr's.

9. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

ah, i thought you were in the US, because thats the currency you were reffering to.

i guess if you can make a profit on it. go for it. i'm sure i would!

you canadians are getting some pretty sweet cars these days, as far as japanese ones go. gt-r's are overrated, though. its all about the r32 gs-t 4-door!

10. sub9lulu

sub9lulu LSx RX-7 in progress krew

for 4k minus whale buy it

11. Maverick

Maverick Guest

How effective are the TMIC on those cars?

12. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

Ok for short stints but they suffer heat soak pretty badly for any sort of track work.

One of the first mods is often to get a front mount. Allows you to get rid of that cheese grater of a bonnet if you so wanted, but they look pretty bad without it.

13. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

i heard that they can't really handle much more than stock boost levels. And they overheat in congested traffic. FMIC upgrade is only like 300 bucks for something that can handle 600bhp :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2007
  14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

damn that looks shitty.

15. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

The bonnet alone is worth a small fortune

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Nissan-Pulsar-GTI-R-Hood-SR20DET-FWD-Turbo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33646QQihZ019QQitemZ7921294546QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

But finding one without a hood scoop might be a problem. But it would increase the sleeper factor because everyone will just think its a EF Honda Civic

16. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

But it isn't.

17. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

Yeah my brothers came with a stock flat bonnet. They are by the shit load here. All the ricers put them on their non-turbo pulsars.

The stock flat bonnet does look pretty shitty though, just looks like any other hatch back :).

Ill post a quick video soon, his gti-r with dropped exhaust and front mount versus celica gt4 alltrac at the strip.

18. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

19. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

whats all done to the engine? That took off really fast.

And yea, I went ahead and paid for it today. 2 GTI-R's coming, what a treat. Are they really that bad/unreliable to own as a daily driver? What could possibly go wrong with it that would give it downtime? I've heard a clutch job is hard, but it shouldn't be any different from any other 4wd car should it? Im nervous to say the least :noes:

I never noticed the Nismo steering wheel before. Damn the excitement is unbarable

20. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

That car just has a front mount and the exhaust was dropped at the cat. That run was a 12.9 i think. Now it has full 3" exhaust and about 12psi boost or so. Tad faster but not much.

They arent that bad, they just arent a quality car. They are just a bloody quick version of a cheaper car really. Just somethings look like an after thought, like the notches cut near the top of the firewall for the clutch and brake cylinder, look like they were done by some jap with some tin snips.

My brother has been through a few clutches, I think hes been using an 8 puck clutch, which is fairly grippy but drivable.
    Clutch changes are a pain because they are an engine out. We have done a few now over the course of a weekend. They can be done with the engine in, but bloody hard because of the location of one single bolt, located behind the speed sender, under the plenum and tucked around by the transfer case. You need midget hands. First time we did it I took 30 mins to undo this bolt using 3 different spanners of different curvature. Next time we found a better way.

Not much else has gone wrong really, power windows are dodgy because the doors are fairly long and interior trim isnt great quality. Clutch hydraulics have also been about a 4 time affair now too.

My advice for you would be to keep it simple, maintained and sensibly modified. The people i know that have had the most problems are those that go too extreme with modifications. Thats the same with any car though isnt it.

My old house mate had a SSS attessa bluebird, which is a GTi-r drivetrain with s13 style sr20 (not quads) in what you lot call a nissan altima. It was fairly ferocious for braking boxes purely because of the extra weight. It did a stock one first, followed by a straight cut box which wasnt built properly.