SRS Would you ever look down on a person who has a learning disability?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JakobwithaK, Mar 4, 2007.

1. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

I am LD and ADD as well, went to a private school from grades 7-12 who specializes in treating people with Learning disabilities. Yes I will admit, I did not feel comfortable in the past, telling people where I went to school when they would ask. Especially with girls..."oh you went to a private school...you must be stupid."

Well, a lot of people tend to look down and think people who have this disorder are just stupid. For instance, most movies I watch I have to watch 2 or 3 times to fully understand it - its very rare that I can watch a movie just once and fully know what it was all about, the characters, plot, yada yada yada. Its kind of embarassing because I will watch with people, and usually I dont ask too many questions about it (if any at all) or else they will laugh because I didnt fully understand it
    and just figure Im half retarded or something.

Same with books, I remember back in high school (I hated it :() I was always embarassed when the class would be reading shakespear or whatever, and then at the end of each chapter the teacher would ask me the simpliest question and I wouldnt be able to answer it :( Want to know the worst part of it all? Everyone knew I was by far the worst person in our class (heck probably the worst ever in that school) in comprehending, therefore she would always pick on me. I would read a chapter over and over and still couldnt understand it. So would you ever look down on a person like this? Its not that we are stupid, but just that it takes us longer to comphrehend at times. But trust me, going from experience, I can assure you that 99/100 people will just assume we are stupid.

Even at times when Im around family, and my ADD clearly shows, my sisters just assume Im mental or something. THey know Im LD and ADD, but when I have to go over things a few more times than the average person, it doesnt mean Im in capable of learning it.

Besides, a learning disability doesn't have *anything* to do with being stupid, so it wouldn't make sense to look down on a person for it. It's just a matter of learning differently - ex. Im a visual learner, I learn much quicker and easier by seeing things and hands on than reading and comprehending it. I swear I could attempt to read a grade 5 book, and I wouldnt know what it was about. :( Thats how bad my english is, I finished with Eng 30/33 mixed and barely passed it with 51% (and thats taking it that my instructor was bit generous in marking my grades too because she knew how much of a struggle it was for me and wanted to see me pass).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  2. BradUF

BradUF Guest

If it is that bad, just take some pills.

mod edit: out of curiosity, how will taking pills(plus what kind of pills are you referring too?) make this person smarter

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2007
  3. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

I generally look down on those I know to have or perceive to have less than the accepted median IQ but I also understand that almost everyone (outside the hopelessly retarded) can contribute in different ways. Call me an asshole, but at least I'm honest...

If it helps you understand where I'm coming from, I support eugenics programs.

4. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Stupidity is not appreciated, but people should learn to love people unconditionally, they put all kinds of demands on everyone, while in reality you should be able to decide for yourself what load you want to carry in your life, if you have a disablity then it should actually be normal that people would take that into consideration, however lots of people look down on handicapped people or redicule people with disabilities, but you don't have to worry these kind of people are moving backwards into the darkness, being smart isn't a justification to be nasty and mean towards other people. Everyone can have an accident, or having things going worse for them so that their learning capabilities are severed. We should bring understanding and not condemnation to people who have a hard time because of their disability or handicap.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

I would never look down on anyone. Unless that person was a jerk. But if you're not a jerk, I would never look down on you.

BTW, I grew up with mild dyslexia.

7. Sloi

Personally, I don't ridicule the handicapped or retarded... but I understand the burden they end up being on society. It's kind of hard to love that, you know? I'd much rather we take steps towards permanently eliminating those problems instead of playing the goddamn natural lottery and taking what "god" gives us. Like it or not, undesirable traits will be eliminated from the pool sooner or later... Gattaca/Brave New World, anyone? :hsd:

8. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Hell no, some of the best people I know have trouble learning stuff in one way or another. I was dyslexic for awhile, and my brother has/had ADD; and now I read faster than anybody I know, and my brother is pulling almost straight As in junior college.

But yah, dont let it get you down. If a girl acts like that, then they probably are not worth it anyway.

9. OrionDartanyu

OrionDartanyu I don't think I'm as revolutionary as Galileo, but

I look down on people who don't try.

It sounds like you try, so that's good. But I get pretty sick of people who just because they've been labeled with a LD that they just give up... they use the LD card whenever they can... screw that.

Now if you have a LD and you actually apply yourself, that's all I'm concerned about. I'd happily help you twice or more on the same task, as long as I can see that you are giving it your all....

10. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

how are the handicapped or retarded a burden on society as a whole?

those who cannot help themselves shouldn't be labeled as a burden in my opinion

11. Sloi

I'll give you an unrelated example... a wounded soldier becomes a burden because perfectly fine allies have to care for him, taking them out of the battle.

When you have to create a system in order to care for mentally handicapped people, you're throwing away money and other limited resources at something that will never contribute anything of value... or "pay back", so to speak. It's wasted time, money and personel to deal with breathing vegetables.

Wouldn't it make more sense to take steps towards completely eliminating the "disease" rather than treating the symptoms?

12. 7960

7960 New Member

according to this logic we should kill every child at birth :rolleyes:

13. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

I have ADD :dunno:

So not I dont look down upon people with learning disabilities :mamoru:

As far as shakespeare is concerned, I cant understand old english for shit :o

14. Xtreme2k2

Are you on any kind of medications for it?

Myself, I take 40mg adderall xr daily (have 20mg xr pills for boosters during the day if I need it :o)

15. Electric_Church

Electric_Church New Member

No way at all would i look down on you mate. Im the same, i have to watch movies 2-3 times to understand them.

You sound like a great person

16. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

do you also apply this opinion to people with physical disabilities?

17. Xtreme2k2

:wtf:you wanna play god, and decides who lives and dies? :ugh:

18. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I'm not sure what kind of advice you're looking for exactly, but in your case, I think the best thing you can do with any person that you're getting close to or working with is to be honest rather than dodge the issue or try to play it off. If the person has any heart whatsoever, they would be understanding and accomindating. The worst thing you can do, and this might sound condescending, is act on a higher level than you are at. You will get caught in lie after lie and only frustrate yourself and other people.

I am currently training this guy at work who CLEARLY has a mental problem. He's either autistic or slow or something. He's already been through three other people that have attempted to train him. He's not getting the job at all, not even the most basic concepts, and he's been there for almost a year. When I teach him something, I will repeat it several times, ask him a few minutes later, and he will not know the answer. I could go on and on, but to save time, it's very obvious there's something wrong with this guy. He will not be straight up with me and say, "Look, I have this problem." I know, he doesn't have to disclose that to me, but the way he acts is as if he knows what he's doing, when he really doesn't, and it's extremely painful to deal with. The fact that he requested me to train him, I would think he would have enough respect to at least tell me what will help him learn better. Instead, he acts as if all is "normal," and in the end, he's only hurting himself and his learning process.

19. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Absolutely not. I do my best not to look down on anybody for anything that they can't help. But you sould definitely be open about it so people can be more understanding.

20. zonedoubt

zonedoubt New Member

I share your comprehension problems to some extent, and I've rarely felt looked down upon because of it. Sometimes I know I sound pretty dumb in a given situation, but it doesn't bother me because I know I've established my competence and intelligence in other, larger areas of my life.

Accepting your situation and being able to make light of it can help a lot. Find your strengths and use them to improve your confidence and skills. Confidence in yourself and your abilities goes a long way towards changing how people percieve you.

21. Sloi

The difference being that 95+ % of children grow up to become functional human beings. You know I'm right.

22. Sloi

We do that every fucking day; don't be hypocritical. In the end, it's for the betterment of humanity and whether you like it or not, it WILL happen a few decades down the road when we have a better understanding of genetics: if there's a way to completely eliminate certain diseases, do you really think they won't take steps towards doing so? Apply this logic to mental illness and retardation... same thing.

Ninja edit: Eugenics doesn't have to be agressive. (we're already practicing a passive form of it now)

23. JakobwithaK

Just because someone is learning disabled or ADD doesnt mean they have a low IQ - it just means they learn differently.

24. JakobwithaK

You cannot eliminate a learning disablity or ADD - you just have to find ways to cope with it. The first step for someone who has either one is to reconize that they have it, and second to find ways to cooperate with it. You have to work with it not against it.

25. JakobwithaK

Well I have an anxiety disorder as well, and I was on celexa many years ago. FOr ADD and LD, believe it or not mine is nothing severe...at least not enough to warrant drugs. Its just my reading comprehension is atrocious :wtc:, so bad that I went to private school for 5 yrs for that alone.

But other than that, I learn fairly quickly for the most part - as long as it doesnt involve reading lol. Thank god Im no longer in school, so most people cant really notice the LD in me, but at times my ADD definitely shows. :hs:

I know if I watch movies with my sisters and ask questions after they will get mad (its happened in the past when I was younger). they were like "what are you watching....are you even paying attention?.....are you stupid or something?" :( So I keep my mouth shut now.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007