SRS Would you even talk with sibling if they always called drunk?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kendog, Feb 2, 2010.

1. kendog

kendog Active Member

My sister is close to homeless she drinks so much, my mom is paying a room for her to stay. Every time she calls me she sounds super groggy/drunk and burnt out. After chatting for awhile she always tells me she has me on speaker phone for her drunky boyfriends to hear :ugh: Which pisses me off. I told her it's unfortunate she's choosing such a loser path in life and may end up dead. Should I even answer her calls anymore? What is the best way to deal with this without being too cruel and messing her up more?

2. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

Just because people are related you can't expected them to get along.
    If she wasn't your sister, would you talk to her? If the guilt of not speaking to her wasn't there would you do it? Where would that guilt come from? What do you get out of the relationship?

3. Toxica

Toxica New Member

Ah, I know what you are going through. My mom was an alcoholic and she was the same. She was drunk all the time so most of the phone calls I'd receive from her she was wasted. I would just say "Call me when you're sober. I gotta go." or something. It's hard to tell them that because you are afraid something might happen to them and you'd end up regretting what you said and not talking to them when you had the chance. At least that's how I felt. After telling her that every time she tried to call me, she ended up getting the message and she'd only call me when she was sober.

(She's been going to AA meetings now and has been sober for several months. Hopefully she stays on this track...)

4. teo

teo . => ? => !

Does she call like this at all hours of the day?

Also, go to AA. It's a support group for family members affected by alcoholics, not just for the alcoholics themselves.

5. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Next time she calls drunk, simply say "I'll talk to you when you're sober" then hang up.

Repeat as necessary.