SRS Would you do it??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fahrfrumlosin, May 16, 2006.

1. fahrfrumlosin

fahrfrumlosin OT Supporter

I am thinking about writing a letter of complaint against my town's First Aid Rescue Squad. They are volunteer, but funded by the local municaplity. A little background info below:

At 12:05AM 5/5/06, my father died in his sleep. This is the worst day of my life to date... He was 70 years old, turning 71 on 5/18/06.

I had just spoken to him hours ago, he was perfectly fine. He takes his high blood pressure / diabetes / cholesterol meds, is physically fit, exercises everyday, eats healthily, drinks plenty of water; he is the model of good health.

The last words hes ever said to me was "So did you get those headlights on the BMW? Everything works, high beams, low beams....everything??? WHAT?! You bought headlights that didn't come with bulbs....OMG! ". As funny as it sounds, I will remember it forever.

Around 11:45pm, my mom hears my dad snoring and as always, nudges him so he can wake up, correct his sleeping position and stop snoring. Well tonight he didn't. He had just finished watching the Yankees game and finished a re-run of this week's Soprano's. He kissed my mom goodnight and closed his eyes never to open them again. My mom began to scream, so I along with Marah in my room jump out of bed and run over. I knew something was gravely wrong. She was sobbing saying your dad won't wake up. So I tried to shake him and it was just dead weight. His tongue was relaxed in his mouth and every so often his body would gasp and snarl for air. The first thought in my mind was a stroke. I ran downstairs, found a bottle of Bayer headache medicine, took one pill, and a glass of water ran back upstairs and tried to push the pill into his mouth, hoping it would thin his blood. With his tongue in the way, this proved difficult. I finally managed to get the pill in, and tried to force water into his mouth, again no go. It just spilled all over him. I told Marah to call 9-1-1 while we kept trying to revive him. This was 11:47pm. Marah placed the call and was asked all sorts of stupid questions, is he conscious, is he having a heart attack, etc....we just wanted the damn ambulance to get here, we live 1/8 mi from the hospital. I kept thinking, maybe I could carry him into the car and drive him to the emergency room, but thought I might hurt or kill him and shouldnt move him. 12:05AM and police car and ambulance pull up. I rush them inside. They saw his tongue out and I assume they didnt want to attempt CPR like that. They tried to call out to him to see if he responded and got nothing. 12:15AM, the ambulance finally parks delicately into my driveway and the guys come out, not looking too concerned or rushed. The cop comes out and see this and screams at them "STEP IT UP, hes unresponsive!!" at which they started to rush. It must've been 4 EMS workers, then a fat EMS lady coming up the stairs, again not too rushed...(I became agitated) I watched them cut open my dad's shirt, lift up his body and put him on the floor. He really was dead weight at this point and beginning to turn cold.

They kicked us out of the room to do their "work". I tried my best to calm my mother down, at this point very hysterical. 15min later the fat EMS lady comes downstairs telling us, hes not responding to CPR, no pulse, not looking good, they're moving him to the hospital.... I COUDLNT BELIEVE THIS!!! 10min later they finally have him in a stretcher, face exposed...no o2 on him. Marah's like wtf, he should have oxygen. The cop made me wait till they got him in the ambulance, secured him then drove off...This took another 10min. Mind you, I had called my bro in Iselin, NJ 30min away, at the time of the 9-1-1 call and by this time, he was already waiting at the hospital for us. We finally get to the hospital and I park my car in the parking lot and run inside to meet my bro. We get into triage and I give the guy my dad's insurance info. They then took us into a room and a doctor came in to tell me he was dead.

I would later find out that they didnt get him out of the ambulance till 10min after I had walked into the hospital!!!

Its been truly hard these last few days dealing with the reality my dad is gone. He leaves behind his dog, his cars and the house he maintained for 10 years. My mom is an emotional wreck, and my brother and I are doing our best to cope. My nearby family has been as supportive as they could have been, but it is very lonely now just the 2 of us living in the house. Reading back on what I just wrote, I find good reason to file an official complaint against the West Orange EMS. I keep trying to tell myself that my dad probably died in his sleep/unconscious and in no pain of his situation. There must have been nothing I could have done to save his life...

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I would talk to a lawyer. I know this is a sue-happy society, but that is over the top.

edit: While I agree with 7960, if it truly happened the way you described it, the lack of concern over time is what makes me say this.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2006
  3. 7960

7960 New Member

sorry for your loss.

but I doubt anything they did could have prevented what happened. All that time you're talking about, the dispatcher had the ambulance on the way as soon as you answered the first question. Even though the dispatch was asking questions that doesn't mean the ambulance was waiting.

find out the cause of death and then possibly consider doing something, but with what you've said, I wouldn't.

again, sorry for your loss

4. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

It defininitely would not hurt to call a lawyer to see if there's anything you can do. It sounds like they waited to long, but I wasnt there so can't say for sure :hs:

Sorry for your loss :hug:

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Ambulance response times are often not all that great. Its most definitly a good idea to sue the city you live in. In which you claim that you have the 'right' for professional healthcare. Its a cheap as hell solution for a city to hire volenteers who as such cut back down on city costs in order to provide proper healthcare. And im not being racist when i say that generally fat people can't go as fast as thin people.Regardles of the quality of help that a person can give, in terms of response time this can be a matter of life and death.You want to be 'rushed' to the hospital,right? I personally think that the 'formalities' on the phone are a discrace too. First help, questions later. Once the ambulance is dispatched questions can be asked. I had it in my hospital too, i had to go thru a washing list of written forms while i was bleeding in pain and depressed from my accident. How about help first ,questions later or during the help? We have it as a law here that a ambulance must be at the scene within 15 minutes(theorethically). With these kind of service that take up to an hour its no wonder your dad ended up dead. Even if it was his time to come, i still dislike the whole arrangement of the hospital services. When i had an accident, they called a taxi instead of an ambulance, id be sure that next time i'll call the batmobiel ,cuz im sure that thing goes faster then the poor community responses. Even tho its volenteer and they probably are doing their best, things just basically have to speed up, and you should be getting professional treatment 'at least within 30 min' any response that takes up longer then 30 minutes just means that the service is garbage.

I personally would sue the city you live in. Yeah it aint going to get your dad back, but maby other people will live because of faster response times and less formalities right after the emergency. My condoleances for your dad.

6. YouTube

YouTube Guest

:ugh:

Since when does the US allow fat people to perform life saving jobs??? Who in their right mind would allow a fat woman to work as an EMS when she is supposed be ready for any situation which might require physical activity, like running upstairs in your case.

Maybe in your letter you can recommend that the Rescue Squad have more strict employment standards, like say, you can't be FAT.

In any case, I am sorry for your loss. You are handling the situation better than most people. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when I'm in your position.

7. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Well, if it bothers you (and why wouldn't it?), have somebody look into investigating the situation -- I don't know if the hospital has any internal office that looks into these claims or not. For both your piece of mind and out of concern for those who might need emergency services in the future...I think it's worth looking into it.

BUT, also, this is a time to mourn your loss and have your family walk the road of emotional recovery. This process may be delayed indefinitely once you get into this whole mess of legal issues with the hospital or the State. In the end, you have to ask yourself will it be worth it?

8. fahrfrumlosin

fahrfrumlosin OT Supporter

So far my only solution to coping with my problem is getting it out there on OT and to my friends and family. I literally haven't left my house to do anything on my own since he died nearly 2 weeks ago, my main concern was making sure my mom always had someone closeby. I'm going to draw up a timetable with my fiancee tomorrow regarding the events I posted.

I swear everytime I see an EMS ambulance (since i live on the street of the hospital), i wanna flip em off but cant because I may need those assholes again!!!

9. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

The couple times we have called our ems service we have to tell them where are driveway is because to the city/county our house doesnt exist. People think if there is no mailbox there is no house. They have even passed it a couple of times after we tell them where it is. Luckily, the stuff we called for wasnt death defyingly serious.

Im very sorry to hear for your loss, I wish you the best in coping with this. I dont know what I would do if I lost one of my parents. At least you lived nearby to help your mother and dad in time of dire need. Thats one of the reasons why my parents moved to where we are now is becuase of my mothers aging parents, and it definitely come to be helpful in more ways than we can count.

10. The Secretary

It depends on when one is considered fat and who holds that standard. You can be stocky and be more physically fit than the average "skinny" person. However, it would be discriminatory I believe for a place of business to discriminate of physical appearence. If they can do the job it shouldnt be an issue.

11. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

Good advice...just make sure you talk to a laywer first and it wouldnt hurt to see what was going on with the delay, and get their side...but rembember that you should take time to mourn and consider this first over any legal matters...peace of mind is the most important

12. Plasma

Plasma New Member

"However, it would be discriminatory I believe for a place of business to discriminate of physical appearence. If they can do the job it shouldnt be an issue."

That may be right in an office desk job, but for something where its between life and death and you wont be able to run up some fricken stairs, heh, they shouldnt be hired - and be told its because they are overweight and cant pass a physical.

13. The Secretary

Did you not read that part? If they can run up and down a flight of stairs(everyone doesnt live on the first story) then they cant do the job and shouldnt be ems. But if they are fully competent in their position then there is not grounds for removal.

14. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Even if they could it be much harder for a fat person, however yes if there is a physical test standard that they could live up too (sort of test of running up a stair case) within a very short period, then i personally don't care if its a fat or skinny person who runs in 8 seconds up a staircase.

15. Burns45678

Burns45678 New Member

A very similar situation:
    Once a kid on my freinds hockey team shot the ball and scored then turned around to skate away then just collapsed. The EMS arrives walk around calmly look at the kid for like 5 minutes walk back to the truck get a stretcher then drive away in another 20 minute period. The kid died soon after, very sad situation, and i dont know if speeding it up would have helped save his life or not, but i cant help but think that it couldnt have hurt. You shouldn't enter a feild such as that if your not willing to try your best every time.