Would you date someone who is unemployed?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by D7, May 13, 2009.

?

Would you date someone who is unemployed?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2009.
  1. I am a guy and I would date her/him if she/he is collecting unemployment

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. I am a guy and I would date her/him whether or not she/he is collecting unemployment

40 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. I am a guy and I would date her/him if she/he is NOT collecting unemployment

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. I am a girl and I would date him/her if he/she is collecting unemployment

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. I am a girl and I would date him/her whether or not he/she is collecting unemployment

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. I am a girl and I would date him/her if he/she is NOT collecting unemployment

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. D7

D7 OT Supporter

Thoughts?

Edit: sorry, I forgot the option that you wouldn't date them period, but I'm more interested in hearing the reasoning behind any answers

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Depends on why and if they are currently actively trying to find work.

3. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

yes. i have even (husband was unemployed when we first started dating)

of course, the reasons why they are unemployed come into play. if its cause they are lazy? hell no.

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Honestly....at this time in my life I could never start dating a guy that was unemployed. If his story was that he was laid off due to the bad economy I would feel bad, but I know for a fact I could go out right now and get a part time job in 2 weeks, so I just don't by the excuse of "no one is hiring."

Now of course if I was dating a guy who suddenly became unemployed that's a little bit different. As long as he still had the motivation and drive to immediately find a new job I'd be happy and fine with his status. Money has absolutely nothing to do with it, I just cant respect someone that doesn't strive for a career.

5. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

I've done it. It sucks and I will never do it again.

If I am in a realationship with him at the time he becomes unemployed, he better be looking hard to find a job or I am gone. I just have too much to worry about on my own withouth having to deal with someone elses problems that can be solved.

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

:ugh:

7. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

If I was starting a relationship, I would NOT date someone who was unemployed for any reason. BUT if I was already dating the person, and they lost their job for legitimate reasons, I would stay with them.

8. Reign

Reign Banned

And here is a prime example of why I never want to get married.:hsugh:

9. Drifter87

This makes you sound like a gold digger...

10. Deborah

Deborah Seeing is believing, but I don't want to know.

:werd: she basically say she is just with her partner in good times :hsugh:

11. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Yep, not looking for a real significant other to spend your life with.......looking for a fucking meal ticket.

12. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

Okay, I will tell you all my relationship where it was the cause, and you can see if you find fault with me after.

I dated a guy that lived with his mother, and had a job with her. Well, he stopped working for her and didn't make enough money anyways. He would go half ass look for jobs, and then when he found one that wanted to take him, he would either A)take it or B)bitch about how he didn't want to do that type of work, didn't want to go there, uniforms were bad, etc etc. IF he took the job, he would probably be there a few weeks before he just up and left in the middle of his shift, citing people being mean to him or just not being able to handle it. This went on FOREVER. He could not get a job at the mall because of how many jobs he had been at and left.

While all this was going on, his mom gave him a little bit of money, but he would come to me and ask for gas money, money for ciggs, ask me to buy him beer, take him for food, etc etc. It got old fast. And I didn't indulge him in everything, but he would constantly ask, and feel that since we were in a relationship that I was supposed to help him out, when he clearly could not hold down a job.

Now, I said that I would be gone NOT because I am looking for him to pay for everything, I clearly stated that I have a lot to deal with on my own without having to worry about another human being at this point in time. Yes, from my experience that may be skewered, but its NOT because I am looking for someone to pay my bills. I feel uncomfortable with guys paying for all the dates, and I am MORE than willing to share when he makes an effort to do so back. The relationship I am in now its mostly all 50/50, sometimes he gets pays, sometimes I pay, theres never an issue about it, and I have never demanded him to pay for anything for me.

So before you all start throwing around accusations based on two little sentences, you should prob get the rest of the facts.

13. Abomb

Abomb New Member

uh there is a big difference between being unemployed and a worthless bum :rofl:

14. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

No kidding. That guy was a loser. Dumping someone who otherwise has thier shit together because they lose thier job is a totally different story.

15. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

Well, you can also have unemployed and actually caring about finding a job, and unemployed and not giving a shit(IE, a bum)

I never said that I wanted to be with him for money, but being able to atleast try to look for a job shows some innitiative. There are so many threads in the asylum and such about how their SO doesn't have a job and mooches off the other person. Is it really too much to ask to want a partner that can take care of themselves and not be a lazy bum?

I said that if they were looking for a job it wasn't an issue, if they didn't thats where it becomes an issue.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The sort of part time job one finds in two weeks generally isn't what I'd consider career material. It is a job. Someone that actually has a career and finds themselves laid off would get more money from unemployment insurance and have more time to look for that real job than if they took a job as a checker or burger flipper.

Maybe its an age thing. Unemployment isn't really too scary of a thing for me now. It happens to people that work most professional jobs several times in life and you should have been earning enough to put some back to last you through those times.

17. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:mamoru: I didn't mean the part time job would ultimately become their career, I was more saying I actually know a few people who have been laid off recently and they've spent months broke because they can't find the "perfect" full time job when they could find a part time job for months until they find something more substantial.

18. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

if she can pay her bills and entertainment budget, I don't have the slightest care what she does.

If she is in a tough spot and has to budget carefully, id be a bit put off, but still consider it for the right person.

19. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

i wouldn't start dating a guy if he were unemployed. but if he were my bf and suddenly became unemployed due to laying off, etc (not quitting) then i would continue to date him as long as he were looking for a job

20. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I would totally date an unemployed girl.

21. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

short term thing and was looking hard for a job, then not a problem.

No desire to work and was just lazy? hell no

22. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

:werd:

23. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

ditto

24. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I am more interested in how a man handles his finances and the priorities he has in regards to bills, purchases, savings, etc etc

Whether or not he has a job, isn't the deal breaker.

25. Drifter87

This is important!

It is a big turn off if the person I am dating has a budget, sticks to it, and they are not living pay check to pay check.

I would hate to merry someone who would just take my money and blow it away on shoes every month and not think about buying a house or putting kids through college.