MMA Would you consider Anderson's resume as of late, impressive?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by JJ, Apr 4, 2010.

1. JJ

JJ Active Member

I'm not so sure. I love Anderson Silva but the Thales Leites win? meh.
    Forrest? Yeah, even Sardine and Evans beat Forrest.
    Lutter? He got CUT and he had Anderson in some trouble

His most impressive wins imo are, Hendo, Nate and Rich.

I'd go as far as saying that for his weight class, GSP's battles have been tougher and more challenging.

edit- Just wanted to add, I am a huge fan of Anderson's. I love watching him fight and when a fighter wins repeatedly.. it's always impressive. This thread was just food for thought.

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I don't see how he really could have done much better against Thales Leites. He fought his fight. He didn't want to grapple and Leites kept falling down every time Anderson mounted any offense.

Jardine beat Forrest like 4 years ago, so that fight doesn't matter. What matters is that Anderson Silva moved up a weight class and destroyed a guy who was champion just months before worse than anyone has ever destroyed him. The most important part of this is that he moved UP an entire weight class. With that huge disadvantage, he still dominated.

The Lutter fight wasn't very impressive. That fight was probably the worst example of takedown defense that I've ever seen from Anderson Silva. That was probably Anderson's least qualified opponent to date. That being said, Lutter has came closer than anyone in the UFC to beat Anderson Silva.

Yeah I'd agree that GSP has had tougher battles. Koscheck, Fitch, and Alves could all move to 185 and be title contenders. Not many guys at 185 could come down to 170 and challenge the title.

3. JJ

JJ Active Member

Yeah but Forrest also couldn't even damage a shitty exhausted Tito Ortiz in his last fight. Just sayin'. And it's MMA not Muay Thai so you have to ask, well why didn't you want to grapple with Leites?

And the move up to 205 with Forrest was the second time he had done it so it wasn't a huge mystery how he would look and feel. Forrest WAS champion, but he also will probably never be champion again. It may have just been during a very weak hour in the UFC's 205 division. So here's another question. If the win over Forrest is the standout in his resume as of late.. does that qualify him as P4P King?

4. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

because you dont play into your opponents strengths... Hmm ima better striker, so let me go try and submit someone who is a better grappler than me.

5. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Who else is there for him to fight?

6. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

I have been making this argument for months. He beat Forrest at 205, big deal. He walks around at 210-215. He beat someone with shitty striking who decided to stand up and throw big slow wild punches with one of the best strikers in the UFC. If Forrest uses his fucking head and says "Fuck putting on a show, get the take down, use my size advantage lie on him, beat him" he wins that fight instead he says "Fuck yeah im gunna put a show on for the crowd!"

Lutter had him in trouble, Cote was in that fight untill his knee shit the bed,

Id say in terms of impressive wins, Mardquart, Hendo, Rich 1&2.

I think BJ Penn at 155 and GSP at 170 are both better fighters, have had tougher competition, and have done the same job dominating their oppenents.

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

He needs to beat Rich Franklin a few more times before I'm convinced.

8. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

Every one wants to say Fedor cant be the #1 P4P fighter because his hasnt fought anyone worth talking about in 3 years. Well Silva has who? Franklin, Hendo and Nate? Then what, he beat guys like Leites, Cote(who was in that fight), Lutter who has had a up and down career, fucking Chris Leben, James Irvin and Forrest. Sure he dominated them, but lets throw some lower tier fighters at GSP and BJ and see what the results are.

9. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

they did... Frankie edgar and Diego Sanchez for BJ, and Dan Hardy for GSP.

Except Anderson literally destroyed his opponents in the 1st round. and moved up weight classes to do it. GSP has yet to move up and do the same.

and Forrest walks around 230-235. so dont think that there wasnt a size advantage between forrest and anderson

10. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

I said there was a size advantage, and Forrest forgot how to use it.

11. Socrates

Socrates New Member

We could play that game all day. Yeah, Forrest couldn't damage a shitty Tito Ortiz, but just a year before that he beat a prime Rampage Jackson. Forrest isn't any better or worse than he has ever been, and it was enough to become the 205lbs champion. I personally think Forrest Griffin sucks, but it was enough to become the champion at one point.

I'm not even going to touch on why he didn't grapple with Leites because my head is going to explode from you not understanding why he wouldn't do that.

12. JJ

JJ Active Member

yeah he didn't do shit to leites and cote ate some pretty good shots
    and was unphased. So.... You might wanna rethink that.

13. Cro Cop

Cro Cop OT Supporter

No, but at the same time I don't blame him for it.

After he destroys Maia, I think both Belfort and Sonnen will present some interesting challenges to him. Hopefully that scumbag Ed Soares doesn't try to duck Chael.

Alternatively, it would be nice to see Silva go for the LHW crown. We need Shogun to win his rematch with Machida for that to be a possibility though. :x:

14. SubOptimal

SubOptimal New Member

I've been saying Silva is overrated for years for the same reasons brought up in this thread. The MW division is weak. Silva needs to fight GSP then move up and try to dominate LHW like he did MW. If he can do well against top LHW fighters, then I'd give him some credit.

15. Basil McRae

Basil McRae Fading the public

LOL at this thread? how can you not be impressed...

Silva has FINISHED everyone he has faught in the BEST MMA organization, besides Leites, who basically refused to fight.
    edit: yes I Know Cote hurt his knee...but you cant blame Anderson for that

He took the title in his 2nd fight...defended it against everyone put in his way, and even has victories in a weight class above his....

He has STOPPED 3 former World Champions....Franklin, Hendo, and Forrest

and in his last fight..he completely out schooled, out boxed, and completely made a fool out of Forrest who like him or not was the world champion at a weight class above Silva's at one time.

and the main point..the the worlds top MMA organization

he is 10-0

what else can the guy do?

Definetly impressed...

16. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

Sonnen will be an interesting matchup

17. AnoesisX

AnoesisX New Member

unfortunately he can't fight the current lhw champ since there in the same camp. the ufc could put him up against the winner of rampage vs rashad then get a title shot if shogun beats machida....again

18. Kuet

Kuet New Member

stupid fucking thread

19. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

These threads are so fucking stupid. He has beat everyone they have put in front of him. People bitch if he doesnt finish the fights, then when he does he doesnt get credit for fighting tough fights. What the fuck? Even if the weight class is weak, everyone he has fought (except for lutter) has been a worthy opponent and most of those fights ended fairly quickly. Even against opponents much larger than him. You used toe argument that he walks around at 210ish so it isnt a big deal that he fights at 205. Guess what? The guys at 205 probably walk around 220-225.

IMO a quick knockout or submission is more dominating than a 5 round lay and prey. How many ROUNDS has he even lost in the past ~5 years?

Also, I'm not bitching to anyone specific. But give credit where it's due.

20. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

No one is saying hes not a great fighter. But for Dana to suck his dick and make the claim that he is the the best fighter in the world is stupid. He has 3 big wins.Hendo, and both Frankin 1&2. He beat Leben, Lutter, and Irvin...nothing really impressive there. Nothing impressive about the Leites win, and yeah, he beat Forrest who was the 205 champ, cant argue that so sure add that to the impressive win category, but really...Forrest is fuckign stupid, hes bigger stronger, and has a great ground game. But instead of using that to his advantage he uses his shitty stand up and gets fucking destroyed. if you wanna call a guy the best fighter in the world. he needs more that 4 big wins.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  21. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Sonnen will get his wig split

22. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

every weight class has it's strong and weak times.

not Anderson's fault if there aren't enough guys out there for him to beat and impress everyone.

23. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

No he doesnt not need to fight GSP. That would be GSP-BJ II all over again, Only this time GSP gets to look like Penn. GSP is too small to move up and challenge Silva.

24. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

Well right there you said hes fighting weak competition. How can you call a guy the best fighter in the world if hes fighting in a weak class. He is an amazing fighter, he really is. But Fedor, Penn, and GSP are all going through people the same way.Hell so is Machida (if you dont mind looking past the shogun fight that is :hsugh:)

25. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

Even when they were both standing, Anderson hardly threw any strikes. He is just a boring fighter when he's going up against a guy that's not aggressive. When he saw that Leites was going to be flopping around all night he should have initiated some offense while on the feet. Same story with Cote - will be the same story with Maia.

I'm not too interested to see Anderson Silva fight anymore unless I know he'll be getting someone who will initiate action while standing - and no one smart is going do to that.