Would this set-up work?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by advocatusdiablo, Jan 11, 2008.

1. advocatusdiablo

advocatusdiablo New Member

Pros?

Cons?

All from newegg

I plan on doing some gaming, video editing and movies. Thanks, this is probably a lot better than the BB PC I mentioned about a few days ago. :o

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

For the same price or less as the CPU/Mobo, you could could get an Intel e6750 and a very good P35 motherboard for better performance.

Get a G92 based 8800GT or GTS. The G92 GTS will be about the same price as the older GTS you have spec'd. The GT is about a $100 cheaper. Both will outperform the older GTS.

3. advocatusdiablo

So the P35 would mean I would need DDR3 memory instead of DDR2?

sorry I am just learning about all of this :o

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

most P35 boards use DDR2.

5. advocatusdiablo

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Skip the water cooler. Ever had a radiator spring a leak in your car? Not fun. Now surround it with expensive, non-waterproof electronics. Even less fun.

If you want a trick-looking case, get the Antec Nine Hundred. I put together a build with that case for a friend a few days ago, and I have to say I'm impressed by all the ventilation. It actually makes that "Smilodon" case look claustrophobic. It badly needs dust filters, but a roll of cheap air-conditioner filter foam and a pair of scissors will take care of that.

Get a Corsair power supply. It will work as well as any top-notch power supply, and you'll thank me for the recommendation when you see how good the modular power cables are. They actually made them work well, instead of just looking cool.

7. advocatusdiablo

I have, and It's off the list

I see what you mean about that case :eek3: and noted about the filter foam

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply - Retail added! thanks :)

Now I need to get the memory situation figured out.

and vista or XP

8. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Nope, that one is DDR3.

I would skip DDR3 at this point. Gigabyte DS3L if you're looking for cheap and no raid, DS3R if you're looking for a few more goodies. Both use DDR2.

If you're using a 32 bit OS, 4GB is the most it can address, this covers processor cache and video ram, so most systems will see between 3 and 3.5 of your 4GB. If it's a 64bit OS, then you're good for 32GB or so IIRC.

9. deusexaethera

No point spending money on a board with built-in RAID. Either you don't really want it, in which case you shouldn't waste your money on RAID-capable parts, or you do really want it, in which case you'll need a standalone RAID card with its own CPU to really get any benefit.

(though someone -- maybe crontab, I don't recall -- DID point out that RAID1 requires almost no overhead and doesn't even really need a dedicated processor, if you're cool with having to buy double sets of hard drives.)

10. advocatusdiablo

Thanks guys! I switched over to the DS3L and keep the DDR2

I think i should go with a 32 bit OS and decrease to maybe 3 GB of ram

11. deusexaethera

No reason to go 32-bit unless you're going to use old hardware that you can't get 64-bit drivers for. Since this is a new build (though you might be pulling in ancillary parts from an old machine), you should have no issues with 64-bit.

BTW: the drivers for XP 64-bit are the same as for Vista 64-bit, so you shouldn't have any problem if you want to run XP 64-bit and dispense with all the pretty-but-useless Vista crap.

12. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I have the 64 bit disc that i've never used, but is there anything I would want to run that requires 64 bit? Or even that would run better?

I mean, if there's no real difference, then why bother?

13. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

You'll probably end up paying the same or more for a 2GB + 1GB combo, so I wouldn't worry about it.