GUN would this need to go through an 01 FFL?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cent, Nov 21, 2009.

1. cent

cent New Member

step dad and I live in the same gun friendly state. step dad's mother (she lives in florida) is going to be put in an assisted living care facility. she has 3 pistols and a shotgun. step dad wants me to have them, i'm the only gun person in the family. step dad drove step mom (and guns) back to our state. for me to receive them, would they need to go through an 01 FFL and do a 4473?

2. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

What "gun friendly state" do you live in?

3. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

I ask because, if he is the legal owner of the guns now, he might be able to do a FTF to you with no dealer.

4. cent

cent New Member

mississippi

5. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

I'm obviously not a lawyer, but from what a quick Google search tells me, FTF transfers are legal without going through a dealer in Mississippi.

6. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Florida to MS? Just pick them up and take them to your house, it's still family.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

take possession, done

8. cent

cent New Member

i didn't know that family mattered. i thought that since the change of ownership of the firewarms was happening over state lines that a form 4473 would need to be filled out.

9. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

That may be true (I don't know about family), but since the guns are coming from a no registration state and going to a no registration state, I say who cares? You've already got them, so just take them.

10. cent

cent New Member

yeah but when the guns were originally purchased years ago, they would of been on a form 4473 to my step dad's mom. and if they are in my possession and the police ever run the serial numbers, they'll ask me how did they get to me in mississippi without being on another form 4473.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  11. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I'm not sure why you want these guns.

you sound like kind of a pussy

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

The guns aren't registered. The police will never run the serial numbers, unless they are used in a crime. Even so, the only thing that will come back is if they were reported stolen or not.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Don't even worry about this. The way the records are kept it's a non issue. If for some reason they want to run a trace on the gun they run the serial number. It take a while and I mean a while it gets traced back to the place the gun was orginally sold from. It is up to the orginal FFL to provide info on who he sold it to. Then it is up to an agency such as the ATF to follow up. They call the purchaser and ask if they still have the gun. The purchaser can say "Nope I did a Private party face to face transfer. Only papers I check was the color of his money. Yeah I don't remember what he looked like I'm pretty sure he was a white male, 30 something maybe. Hope that helps".

Well you get the idea. Your step mom can say she strait up gave you the guns and it's legit and legal. Any records from the NIC is only kept for 30 days iirc. Only record they have is who is the original FFL and he better have his 4473's

14. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member