A&P Would this have worked?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TtamNedlog, Jul 4, 2007.

1. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Last night I pull in my driveway and my headlights illuminated a large spiderweb. I got out and looked closer to see a large spider wrapping up a bug. I went on my mary way only to wake up this morning and think, "damn I should have tried to take a picture."

Recently I saw some threads here about lighting for pictures where your subject (say a model) is exposed but the backgrounds are dark and underexposed. Metering for the background, dropping down a few stops, and illumating your subject with flashes.

My question is this. Keeping in mind it's dark, could I have used something like 1/200 f16 and my D80's flash to take a picture of the spider where the spider would have been lit by the flash, but the background would be black? There was nothing behind the spider except a tree maybe 10 feet back. Think the flash would have shown up on it as well?

Basically could I have gotten a picture like this:
    [​IMG]
    Except with a black background instead of a blueish-grey one.

2. Beeno

Beeno New Member

Probably, depending the power of your flash and the distance between the web and the background.

EDIT: Saw the 10 feet back. Yeah, you could do it.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

very easily done, though it may take some adjustments to get it right if ettl try and exposes for the bkg or the highlights of the mist.