would this be over doing it ?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by AKing, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKing

AKing It's like we've got each others backs

this summer i wanna take some martial arts classes but i still want to stick to my workout routine. My workout routine is hard and i pretty much do my workouts every other day. like cardio one day, Weights the other. Is it bad to have martial arts or another form of excercise mixed in with these certain routines. Can anyone vouch for it ?

2. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

Can't you replace cardio with martial arts?

3. AKing

well i guess but i still want to do cardio.

4. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

Go with how your body feels, and eat more to make up for the energy expenditure then. I really don't know the intensity you guys are going at it in martial arts. If you start feeling lethargic after a couple weeks, take a break from excess cardio. Its up to you though.

5. AKing

so basically my body says, "Not today" then i just dont do cardio today.

6. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

Yeah, or if your lifts suffer or you aren't making enough gains in the gym. Things like that.

I used to overtrain a lot, so now I'm more mindful.

7. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

if i listened to what my body was saying everytime i got onto the elliptical trainer, i would be 20lbs heavier than i am right now.

8. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

:rofl: Not wanting to do something versus being totally lethargic feels quite a bit different though.

But I know what you mean. I was doing cardio in a starved state (stupid) and I wanted to give up so many times, but then my window overlooked the this slanted hill. I would always see 80-90 year old women holding heavy ass grocery bags trudging up along this very steep hill, so I figure I would just man up and try harder and finish my session.

9. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

haha.

i just use straight up willpower. and some self psychology. i'm a retard. :hsd:

10. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

alot of it depends on the type of martial arts you are talking about...

trying to lift regularly while training is something most mma fighters have to deal with. The ones who don't lift ( at least in the upper weight classes) can only go so far b/c eventually everyone is pretty good technique wise and it goes back to who is in better shape, faster and more powerful. The problem is that the training is so brutal sometimes that lifting is just not possible. What I try to do is schedule my lifts around when I know I will be beat up from sparring and grappling. I usually lift 3x a week and I will typically lift in the early morning and grapple that night. The days I don't lift are the days I do standup stuff, and I always take a day off from lifting after sparring. So overall yeah, martial arts can be a great workout and can fuse well into a strength program but you will have to modify your workouts somewhat to compensate if the ma are at all strenuous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.