Would this be anything but a bad power supply?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hartman, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Hartman

Hartman New Member

I recently built a new computer. It consists of a ECS micro ATX board, C2D e7300, 2GB Crucial RAM, and a 500gb WD HD. I'm using the on-board video until my video card comes in. I reused a cheap Thermaltake 450w ps from my old computer.

Anyway, I shut the system down to put in my TV tuner card. The card is PCIe X1. That's ALL I did, took the cover off and put the tuner card in. I finish everything up and try to power it back up. First time I push the button, it does nothing. I push it a second time, It tries to start for about 3 seconds, then shuts off. I try again several times, and it's completely dead. I'm thinking great, the power supply bit the dust. Five minutes later, I try to power it up and it starts right up.

Could this be anything other than my power supply?

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Yea could be the motherboard. It is an ECS after all.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1) Does it do this every time you try to start it up?

2) Does it do this even if you remove the TV tuner card?

3) Yes, it could be the power supply going bad and overheating as it wears out; you did add a little extra load, after all. Then again, it could also be the motherboard's onboard power conditioners not playing well under the extra load added by the tuner.

Basically, I'd replace everything. That should fix the problem. :mamoru:

No, seriously, if you're going to start replacing stuff, get a Corsair power supply (520W should do fine) and a better motherboard, maybe from ASUS or GIGABYTE -- it doesn't have to be a fancy board, just something decent from a company that hasn't always been known for making shitty cheap boards. *cough*ECS*cough*

4. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

I was going to post this, but I didn't want to be the guy who thread-craps on the first reply. Congratulations! :rofl:

5. Hartman

Hartman New Member

I got the motherboard and the CPU in a package deal, that's why it's ECS. I looked at the reviews of this particular ECS board beforehand and it got great reviews.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I used an ECS board that I got as a combo for a few months until I had the cash to get something with a few more features. The ECS worked fine while I used it and I might put it back into service if I don't sell it, but across the board they don't have a shining record of reliability.

What good is withholding the truth?