would like a little feedback on engine choice..

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by DoucheBag, Oct 10, 2004.

1. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

ok.. this is a question among many that i will have. but for now.. i want some opinions on a few things. What would you recommend.. a supercharged chevy 350 (crate motor) and carb'd.. or a 502 fuel injected (crate also) Now between the 2.. itll run me about hte same money wise. im looking for about 500-550 crank HP.. obviously the 502 already comes with 500.. and the 350 can easily get 500 with like 4 or 5 psi on the blower. Any experiences/stories/comments are welcome and appreciated. btw.. this is all going into a 67-69 camaro. With a new TKO tremec 5sp... or possibly 6.. dunno yet. personally though.. im leaning towards the 502.. i love torque curve/numbers.

2. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

:werd: on the 502

theres no replacement for displacment, and with the 350 youve gone pretty close to as much change and staying street legal, with the 502, you still got a LOT of room for improvment

add the big boy

3. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

another thing i forgot to mention... is gas mileage. now im not looking to get like 30MPG... but if i could get around 14-16MPG.. id be really happy. Its got a 9.5:1 comp ratio.. so im thinking its possible. Theres also an add for some fuel management thing from CompCams.. like F.A.S.T. or something. said they got a 665 HP engine to push 22MPG. anyone know anything on this? I dont know what size engine they were using or anything.

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Wanting something like you're talking about (engine wise) and then asking for 30mph seems backwards. Honestly, I wouldn't even expect the 14-16 you mentioned either. It sounds like you want a drag racing car, which obviously wouldn't get that good of gas mileage. If you're looking for something that gets better mileage, get a 350 w/ a turbo. You might gain 1 or 2 mph, haha

5. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

What do you really want to do with this car? You need to get us more details about what you plan on doing before I can get into detail. Things like axle ratio, transmission choices, and what you're planning, and expecting from this car can wiegh heavily on what you want to do. Remember that you want to opimise the powerband in the range were the engine spends the most time.
    In either case you are going to want to stay away from the carb, and go FI if you want both power, and gas milage. It's really the only way to go, and the ease of tuning is well worth the money over a good carburator. As far as getting to your goal of 500-550 crank HP, both of those engines would get you there. However the 350 (or even a 383) would get you a higher rev limit over the 502 generaly.

6. MAD PUNK inDC

BTW if you are going FI, the F.A.S.T system is pobably the best ECU to come out in the last 5 years. They can put together an entire fuel/ignition system for you based around your needs if you want.

7. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

ooo good to know. everytime i wanted to check out their site it couldnt get in. so i couldnt really find out anything about hte product

And yeah.. i kinda forgot those few things you mentioned. i think the 5th gear ratio is like .64:1 on the tranny. and i was thinking anywhere between a 3.23 and a 3.55 rear differential. now im not looking for raw spin the tires every stop light kinda car. i do a bit of driving and an occassional trip across the state. so if need be.. i can just swap out the rear end for a trip or something. Im actually more concerned with a good cruising car. you know.. tach around 2500 doing like 70... but still has some good get up and go when you step on it.

8. MAD PUNK inDC

5th gear on a Trimec is typical .70 or .68. Sounds like you want something with some civilility on the street, but with power on demand. If money is not a big object, I would go with a turbo small block hands down. Just to give you an idea of the potential, my Camaro used to run a T76 Turbotechnology kit on it's tock LS1. This combination made very close to 500hp, and almost 600lbs of torque with a good tuning program. Without putting my foot into it all the time I was making an average of 22mpg combined driving. In my opinion the ultimate in street performance, is definatly the turbo V8.

9. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

would you care to go in a little more into detail about your setup? on another note.. ive never been too fond of turbos. dont know why.. just never liked or trusted them.

10. MAD PUNK inDC

basicly my kit was just a bolt on LS1 kit from turbo tech. http://www.turbodepot.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=277&idproduct=480 A single t76 turbnetics turbo was bolted to a log style manifold on the drivers side, and a crossover pipe was routed from the passenger side, around the back of the engine under the trans and over to the drivers manifold to supply the turbo. I sent my ECU out to be programmed, and upgraded to 30lbs/hr injectors. Even this larger turbo spooled pretty quick, and the power was just unreal from around 3000 to redline. However the power was also too much for the F-bodies pathetic 4L60e transmission, and after my 2nd rebuild in 4 months I sold my kit to a friend with an M6 Trans Am and he's now running solid low 11s in full street trim.
    You dislike of turbos may be from the reputation they used to have. Before fuel injection was the norm, turbos were a bitch to tune because they had to blow through a carburator. Any carb used for forced induction really has to be setup differantly that a normal carb to work properly, or you can have all sorts of problems. Not to mention that people neglected thier turbos often, didn't maintane them properly or idle them when they came off from driving hard,ect. These two factors gave turbo cars a bad reputation for many years, however now with fuel injection, and more durable turbos, the problems associated with them are nil.
    Turbo kits are expensive as hell, easily $4k and up. If you're good with a tig welder, and have some time and a little education or guidence, you can build your own for much less. Salvaging turbos and an intercooler from the local junk yard, a friend of my was able to build a turbo system for his Chevelle for under $1000. Believe me there is are few things sicker, meener, and more intemidating than the sound of a turbo V8.

The nice thing about having one is that you can build a relitively mild small block, using a conservative cam, and mildly worked heads. The only thing you want to do is make sure you have a solid bottem end, and good head gaskets, like a set of Cometic MLS gaskets. After than you want to make sure you have a good fuel system, and get your tuning right. Not all that hard if you take your time. The reward is that you bascily get power on demand. You can cruise around all day running a low boost setting and driving normal, and get great gas milage. I usualy saw around 22 combined, and as much as 27 on the hiway if I kept my foot out of it, and stayed around 75mph. When you hit the track, simply turn the boost up, stomp the pedal and watch tires go up in smoke. Seriously, if you have the money, go turbo V8! You will never get the same level of performance, drivability, and fuel economy combined from a big block, or a hot small block. Only word of caution is if you go this way, don't get gready and keep turning up the boost, or you will fuck it up.

11. travisdb

travisdb What do you wanna do?

502 and maybe some nitrouse.

12. killercamaro

killercamaro New Member

as far as the gas mileage thing goes, get a Richmond 6-speed. the 6th gear is a very tall .50:1. i have an equation on my calculator (came out of edelbrock catalog) and on my 68 camaro with 13 in tire radius, 3.73 gears, and the 6th gear, i'd be turning about 1900 at 70 mph.

13. MAD PUNK inDC

the Richmond unit is only rated for a max of 450lbs of torque. I wouldn't even consider putting it behind an engine making 600+, but they are great for what they can be used for. He would be better off find a rebuilt T-56, or if he's got the money, a Getrag. Both have a 6th gear with in the .50 range.