Would it make sense for Ford to add more Mustangs?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Seeker, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

[warning]
    Ramblings of an Import/Euro enthusiast who is slowly learning more about Domestics.[/warning]

Okay, Ford is doing pretty good with the new Mustang. The V6 model is actually somewhat respectable, and the GT is a pretty good performer. The upcoming GT500 should be a big hit, too.

Only thing is, there are a couple gaps that Ford could fill.
    *The GT500 will have about 475hp, which is a huge jump over the GT's 300hp.
    *At over 3800lbs(3850, according to C&D), and 475hp, the GT500 won't quite be able to keep up with a 3150lb, 505hp Z06.

In my opinion, Ford could easily add another Mustang to the lineup. For the first gap, just make the '03 Cobra again with a supercharged 4.6. Leaving out IRS would help keep the price well under the GT500.

For the second gap, things get a little more interesting. How about a hardcore GT350? I remember reading how the old GT500 was a softer(but more powerful) version of the GT350. This new GT350 could be built in the same vein as the older Cobra R. Lighten it, and make it handle(not that current Mustangs are bad). With a bit more power, such a car might be able to give the Z06 more of a run for its money.

This GT350 should be cheaper than the Shelby GR-1, too. The GR-1 is also pretty heavy, and uses the more expensive platform of the Ford GT. The hardcore Mustang could have lighter body panels(aluminum??), less interior amenities, and perhaps even forged wheels(not sure if the GT500 has them).

To really make sure the GT350 is a handling machine(skidpad isn't everything), why not take it to the 'Ring? If Ford and GM can take their sport compacts out there(Focus RS, new Focus ST, Cobalt SS) and GM also took the Z06, why not bring a Mustang to 'The Green Hell' for some development time, too? A pricetag of $50k wouldn't be too high for a 'Super Mustang,' would it? It would still undercut the Z06 by quite a bit, even if it didn't quite match it's performance. Ford could probably sell more of them than the GR-1.

I've also been thinking about the GT350 name. It might be a turnoff to some people, since the number is lower. I know, I know, some people just don't know any better. There was a GT500 model called the KR, for 'King of the Road.' Would that name make more sense?

Anyway, what do you guys think? Again, I'm a bit of a fast road/track kind of guy, so my ideas reflect that. :o

2. St. Anky's

St. Anky's www.ZBoardShop.com OT Supporter

just as with bullits and mach1s in recent years, 2007/2008 will likely see a 3rd tier mustang to fill the gap (210hp v6 --->300hp gt ----> 375hp ??? -----> 475hp gt500).

there are big debates on stang forums as to what it might be named, but gt350 seems like a viable candidate. many seem confident that it will sport a NA 5.4 (NA gt500 motor) to give it the advantage over a gt

3. Seeker

Oh yeah, I forgot all about the Bullitts and Mach 1s.

4. ices

ices New Member

personal opinion: I don't think that the mustang really "needs" to compete with the z06, much less the corvette in general. This is for two reasons. The "heritage" of the mustang is a cheap, powerful car that goes fast straightline. keyword(s) cheap/affordable, which is why the new GT500 won't have IRS. In order to make the GT350, a new suspension would need to be reworked into an existing chassis. An upgraded suspension is nice, but a whole new one would just make all the other models look "inferior" and "outdated", rather than making the GT350 look "upgraded".

I think that Ford is doing well to in keeping it's intended audience satisfied. You have the v6 which is a nice, entry level car for people who like the style, but don't care much for the power. The v8 for people who care more about the power. And upcoming GT500 which will be a beast straightline, and will probably best 99% of cars on the road.

Ford already has a car in the "supercar" category. However, it would be interesting if they introduced a small, handling inspired car, somewhere along the lines of the S2000, and keep the focus as an econocar.

5. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

Boss 302 "cammer". 400hp/irs/3200lbs. probably cost more then the 500 though, with similar acceleration numbers. Or maybe just a 4.6 slightly tuned to 350 for 30-35k.

6. matrix243

With the GR-1 or whatever the GT replacement will be, there's going to be a ~40k gap to the GT-500.

7. Seeker

Well, the GT500 is pretty much aimed at the C6. :dunno:

Don't forget that the new Mustang is based on a different chassis. It's basically the same chassis as the Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type, if I remember right. I think both of them have IRS, so it shouldn't be all that hard to equip a Mustang with it.

But not for long. The GT is only going to be produced for three years. Sure, Ford is considering the GR-1, and while it should cost less than the GT(still not 'cheap,' though), it will probably be a good bit slower. It probably wouldn't be much faster than the GT500, so what's the point?

I like that idea. I wouldn't mind seeing an RX-8 restyled and rebadged as a Mercury Cougar, and equipped with the upcoming 3.5L Duratec V6(if it'll fit). Mazda and Jaguar did a nice job giving the 3L Duratec a sportier character, and I bet their version of the 3.5L would be very nice. I bet they could sell this car in Europe, too, which would help them get more sales.

That's what I was thinking. If I had my way though, Ford wouldn't even bother with the GR-1, and just make a faster Mustang that would be cheaper than the GR-1.

I love that 'Cammer' engine. I just don't see Ford being able to get a Mustang down to 3200lbs, though. :sad2: Even the stripped out 5.4L Cobra R was over 3500lbs. The '03 Cobras were over 3600lbs, and I wouldn't be surprised if the '05 Mustangs weigh even more with that new chassis. The GT500 is supposed to be in the 3800lb range. :eek4:

For the kind of weight you're talking about, the car would need to be stripped like the Cobra R(no back seats), and have lightened body panels, etc. That would probably be pretty expensive. That's why I was thinking such things could make up a top of the line 'GT500KR' model. :dunno:

8. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

i think ford knows how to keep its mustang fans happy, while we dong get everything we want but they have a lil somthin for everyone, probably bit down the road after the gt500 im sure there will be another varient, just time is all that holds us bak, specially with the new body style, new releases of the older versions are sure to come, and if not by them, then by saleen, roush and others

9. Seeker

True. I'm not a huge Mustang fan, so Ford wouldn't care what I want. :o

10. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Just bump the HP on the Stang a bit to compete with the GTO and undercut GTO pricing by a couple thousand.

As much as I'd hate to see another GM RWD V8 platform die, if GM won't try to save itself, why should I worry about it.

11. Seeker

That'll work too. I think GM will have to go through with the new rwd platform, at least for the sake of the Aussies. They probably don't care if we get it or not.

12. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

There will be some additional models above the GT like the last Mustang, probably another Bullitt.

I want a new Boss Mustang, stripes, dark yellow, louvers and all, but Ford let the copyright slip away from them. :o

13. Seeker

You're right, a Boss would be cool.

I know, instead of a GT500KR, how about a GT350R? Basically a new Cobra R that would slot in under the GT500. The GT350R would be a stripped out road racer, and maybe have another NA 5.4L.

Of course, maybe I should just give up. Ford won't built a track monster Mustang for me. :wtc:

14. matrix243

With the IRS that kind of weight is getting to be unrealistic but these guys were able to shed the weight with a suspension swap. 380lbs. I'm sure SVT has the capabilities, taking consideration for developement from the GA cup series.

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/113_0501_first/index.html

15. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

This just in Ford is not using the GT500 to go after the Z06. Thank you.

16. Seeker

No one said they were. It's more of a match for the C6. The GT500 is too weak/heavy to take on the Z06.

I'm asking if there's any merit in developing a faster Mustang to target the Z06.

17. you know me

Two different classes of car. So I'm going to say no.

18. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Judging by the sheer VOLUME of cars they are selling, they sure DON'T need to add another model to maintain profitability--the only thing companies give a fuck about.

19. Seeker

Judging from the last model lineup, you know they will...:o

I'm just hoping it'll be something cool.

20. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

They will be making different models. Sopposedly a new Bullitt is confirmed for 2008 or 2009 but who knows. It would be sweet to make a new Boss 302 with maybe a slightly detuned 350-375hp version of the 5.0 "cammer" engine that they sell in the Ford Racing catalog.

21. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Ford should build a motor that doesn't suck first.

Maybe something with an in-block camshaft around 300 CID and that doesn't suffer from excessive valvetrain losses.

22. you know me

Ummmm there is nothing wrong with the Ford Mod Motor.

23. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

until Ford actually puts a decent drivetrain on the 4.6, it will be shite.

C'mon, DOHC 32V motor is a much more efficient motor.
    That or lose the extra weight and height and use an in-block cam and pushrods.

24. you know me

03-04 4V? New 3V?

25. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

I think it's ok... personally I'm falling more and more in love with the new Stang - going back to the dealer to see how low they'll go on the pricing.

As I'll be going from a lifted 4.0 Jeep to a low 300+hp sporty mustang I think the standard V8 option will be fine for at least several years. In the future when my pockets are deeper, hopefully I've not totalled mySELF yet and I want something faster, then the GT500 would be the way to go.

I personally wonder why anyone would want a V6 mustang, it just seems wrong, but it seems to sell well in the US. I'm just glad in the Middle East it's not imported, same goes for the 2.5L Jeeps. Might explain our weather ;)