GUN Would it be possible to own an Ak-47 in Canada?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by terminator1010, Sep 26, 2002.

1. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

I im really interested in legally owning an AK-47 in Canada. Is this at all possible considering our strict gun laws? Does anyone know the laws considering automatic rifles in canada? I have an FAC by the way (if it helps)

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i'm not positive, but having a similar style weapon may very well allow you to purchase an AK-47 variant now.

i believe MerkurMan has a few such rifles up that way, i don't know that he comes through the Arsenal often, but if you PM him, he may be able to be more informative.

3. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

What i dont understand is why are people buying 47's?

They are more then half a century old.

buy Ak-100 or something :)

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

hmm, i wonder if anyone else noticed the "automatic rifles" part in the original post. are you trying to get a select-fire ak?

what are the great white north's laws on autos? here in the US, you need a tax stamp, but it's legal.

5. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

Well AK-47's do fire in full automatic don't they? What's a select fire AK? Is it one where you can select semi or full automatic? In Canada they are considered "Prohibited firearms" But you can still own them and use them. You are just really restrited. I'm trying to find out more myself.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

unless canada is like california, semi-auto ak's, which are eleventy billion times more prolific than select-fire, should be legal. however, if they have a ban on "assault rifles" then you're screwed and you might as well move south to the US. we have handguns, too.

yeah, you're right in your guess, select-fire means it's switchable betwixt semi- and full-auto.

7. SuPa

SuPa I ruin Naders fun

nope, the only way you can have an ak-47 in Canada, is if it has been passed along in your family for years. You cannot even buy a semi-auto ak, they are banned, but, I can go out and buy an SKS.

Rule of thumb here, If it looks "mean" then it is banned.

edit:

I noticed now that you were asking about owning full auto's. Nope, they are all phrohibited weapons and there is no way in hell you can have one, unless someone in your family had one before they were prohibited like 20 years ago.