would i benefit from adding extra ram?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Apr 1, 2009.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

currently at work, we have 1gb in our dell computers. after bootup and loading up all my programs, i check the amount in the task manager and I'm down to around 350mb

there are 2 more slots for ddr2 on the mobo, i'm thinking about just bringing in another 2gb of ddr2

I would just get the IT dept to do it, but they have been dragging their feet for months now. last time i told them the computer runs sluggish, they deleted my profile so i could recreate it at the next login. that didn't help

some web pages take 10 seconds to pop onto the screen, the computer is just hanging, then all of a sudden they pop up. we are working with an internet connection of 80mbps down and up

2. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

350MB available isn't really that much. I don't see why upgrading would hurt anything. Either way ram is cheap so if you upgrade and don't see an increase then you arn't out much. But I am guessing you will notice a difference.

3. dorkultra

thats the only thing. does 350mb free mean that i'm eating into a page file? i'll just add the ram and see what happens

4. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

You may have an 80mbps down and up connection but that doesn't mean the site's server can supply you that.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

adding ram might not help, but it definitely won't hurt.

it's the first thing I'd do.

6. that is a good place to start. generally if ur pc is paging a lot all the time, than ram will help... u can check that in task manager...

7. dorkultra

yeah i know, but my macbook with 2gb of ram can load up engadget in a couple of seconds on 3mbps connection

this work computer takes around 10 seconds and just hangs because it seems like it can't process all the images at once

8. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I would add the ram first and see where that gets you. Ram is cheap these days. What are the other specs of this computer?