Would Christopher's routine be good for a 51-year-old man?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Tard Carnival, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

I'm heading back home in a week. I'm not going to have a lifting partner. My dad is 51, has lifted for about a grand total of 1 week in his life, and is somewhere around 170-180lbs and somewhere between 17-20% bodyfat. I haven't seen him in a few months so it's hard to say exactly.

I'm 21, 22 in less than a month. I've been up to 180lbs at around 14% bf. Currently I'm 155lbs at 12% or so, and I haven't been in the gym in a few months. Long story.

Regardless, I'm going to be lifting with my dad in a week. I know Christopher's routine would be perfect for me, considering I'm looking to rebuild both strength and size, but I want to know what would be best for him, considering I'm much more worried about him continuing to lift once I move wherever the fuck else I'm going.

Basically, I want to get him the best results possible as quickly as possible, to motivate him to keep lifting once I move.

As an additional question, should I try and force him to get his doctor try prescribe him some sort of test or HGH therapy? :o

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

if you want him to get fatter then of course it would work.

3. ChutUps

ChutUps New Member

your joking right

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Serious reply: I think it would be fine depending on a few factors.

-The lower volume and lesser number of exercises in comparison to a lot of other routines could be better in that there is less wear and tear on the joints.
    -The strength aspect of the routine would definitely be very beneficial to an aging but still young person. Moreover the compound movements that it focuses on are extremely beneficial in that it builds a well-balanced body, and doesn't neglect some areas or focus more on others (well it does focus a bit more on the legs but my point is that you won't be doing all isolation stuff where you might end up with strong bi's/tri's and weak delts that cannot support the arms when

Things that could be problematic are any existing joint or spinal problems. Knee pains, scoliosis, kyphosis, etc could all get in the way when doing strength training especially with lifts like squats and deadlifts.

Now I'm a stupid noob so I could be wrong about the back probs, there may be some way to work around that. Also if I'm right there's definitely things that I missed.

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

you're*

Oh by the way, Tard, the proper abbreviation of the routine by Christopers would be the Christophers' routine, or, if Christophers is actually supposed to be Christopher S., it would be the Christophers's routine. kthxbye. Either way that bastard Bill Starr stole it from him and claimed it, so it's really called the Modified Bill Starr Routine (as done by Christophers).

6. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

Do you REALIZE how much alcohol I have currently coursing through my blood stream? Honestly, I'm amazed I even rememberd what an apostrophe is.

Actually, I am drunk as hell, but I'd honestly forgotten Christophers had the s in his actual username. :embd:

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I'm just fucking around, you could own me a billion times about spelling/grammar in every single one of my posts on OT... I really don't know shit about the technicalities of the English language. I write well but I don't even know what a "conjecture" is (although I'm sure I can do one properly whatever the fuck it is).

8. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

:rofl:

Man this thread is already horribly derailed. I should probably remake it tomorrow.

Or not. Whatever.

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Fuck that, too much work. This is what happens when you get two OT ninja's in a subforum that actually has a purpose :o .

10. Durk

Durk New Member

11. Layman

Layman New Member

I doubt it.

I had issues with recovery on "Christophers" routine, and I'm only about 30 (for me it had to do with a lack of sleep, though).

Keep in mind that the routine was made for college athletes who are in very different situations than me, let alone your dad. Regardless of what the oh-so-hardcore people here say, not everybody can or should be doing multiple, heavy compound movement three times a week (and expect gains).

The "christophers" routine is awesome. It helped build me a good base and I'm glad I did it, but I burned out on it pretty quickly (again, those are personal circumstances). I don't imagine it would be ideal for your 50yo dad who hasn't lifted a day in his life...

12. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I think I'll try to use something similar to it, but possibly cut out one compound movement per day, or make my dad cut down a little (a lot) on the volume.

13. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i think it's fine as long as you take things into account such as father's "cns reserve". he's not going to be doing 5rep max's 3 days a week. tone down the intensity a bit and he's good, add in some daily cardio (something easy on the joints, biking, swimming, water aerobics, stairmaster, something like that that can stilll be done with more intensity than just walking 2mph for 30 mins). make sure to monitor/adjust/inform him about his diet and it's effect on his lifestyle.

14. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

:rofl:

15. hitmikey

hitmikey DRIVEN FROM WITHIN

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

jesus christ those are some crazy glutes

17. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

It looks like he has two space slugs controlling his mind through his anus.

18. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

he'd be safe in prison.

19. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

obviously on creatine and fish oil

fuckin cheater:rolleyes:

20. dirtysouthboy

dirtysouthboy New Member

holy shit that guy is crazy.

21. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Yea its fine my dad is about the same age and he was doing great on it

22. Durk

Durk New Member

OMG NEW KRISTOPHERS ROUTINE LOL lc :ugh:

23. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

HGH is supposed to be the fountain of youth, I actually believe all the hype from the reading that I've done. If you can get a doctor to give it to him then absolultely, but there are side effects like high blood presure and insulin intollerance.

I would recommend a two day split, one upper body one lower. low weight, moderate reps, decent amount of low impact cardio. I assume he's going to be working out for health reasons, and that is enough of a starter program to keep from from not getting burned out (this is key) and to see some progress.

agreed.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  24. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.