GUN would-be robber crashes party, tastes cheese & wine then leaves

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Jul 13, 2007.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19740787/?GT1=10150

A gate-crasher’s change of heart

Gunman bursts into party, tastes cheese and wine, gets hug, then leaves

WASHINGTON - A grand feast of marinated steaks and jumbo shrimp was winding down, and a group of friends was sitting on the back patio of a Capitol Hill home, sipping red wine. Suddenly, a hooded man slid in through an open gate and put the barrel of a handgun to the head of a 14-year-old guest."Give me your money, or I'll start shooting," he demanded, according to D.C. police and witness accounts.
    The five other guests, including the girls' parents, froze -- and then one spoke.
    "We were just finishing dinner," Cristina "Cha Cha" Rowan, 43, blurted out. "Why don't you have a glass of wine with us?"The intruder took a sip of their Chateau Malescot St-Exupéry and said, "Damn, that's good wine."
    The girl's father, Michael Rabdau, 51, who described the harrowing evening in an interview, told the intruder, described as being in his 20s, to take the whole glass. Rowan offered him the bottle. The would-be robber, his hood now down, took another sip and had a bite of Camembert cheese that was on the table.
    'Can I get a hug?'
    Then he tucked the gun into the pocket of his nylon sweatpants.
    "I think I may have come to the wrong house," he said, looking around the patio of the home in the 1300 block of Constitution Avenue NE.
    "I'm sorry," he told the group. "Can I get a hug?"
    Rowan, who lives in Falls Church and works part time at her children's school, stood up and wrapped her arms around him. Then it was Rabdau's turn. Then his wife's. The other two guests complied.
    "That's really good wine," the man said, taking another sip. He had a final request: "Can we have a group hug?"
    The five adults surrounded him, arms out.
    With that, the man walked out with a crystal wine glass in hand, filled with Chateau Malescot. No one was hurt, and nothing was stolen.
    The homeowner, Xavier Cervera, 45, had gone out to walk his dog at the end of the party and missed the incident, which happened about midnight June 16. Police classified the case as strange but true and said they had not located a suspect.
    "We believe it is a true robbery," said Cmdr. Diane Groomes, who is in charge of patrols in the Capitol Hill area. But it's one-of-a-kind, she said, adding, "I've never heard of a robber joining a party and then walking out to the sunset."
    The hug, she said, was especially unusual. "They should have squeezed him and held onto him for us," she said.
    Rabdau said he hasn't been able to figure out what happened.
    "I was definitely expecting there would be some kind of casualty," Rabdau said this week. "He was very aggressive at first; then it turned into a love fest. I don't know what it was."
    Was it the wine or the cheese?
    Rabdau, a federal government worker who lives in Anne Arundel County with his family and lived on Capitol Hill with his wife in the 1980s, said that the episode lasted about 10 minutes but seemed like an hour. He believes the guests were spared because they kept a positive attitude during the exchange.
    "There was this degree of disbelief and terror at the same time," Rabdau said. "Then it miraculously just changed. His whole emotional tone turned -- like, we're one big happy family now. I thought: Was it the wine? Was it the cheese?"
    After the intruder left, the guests walked inside the house, locked the door and stared at each other. They didn't say a word. Rabdau dialed 911. Police arrived quickly and took a report. They also dusted for fingerprints -- so far, to no avail.
    In the alley behind the home, investigators found the intruder's empty crystal wine glass on the ground, unbroken.

2. t1h

t1h Guest

I heard this on the top of the hour ABC news radio break on the local talk radio station i listen to. The ABC host said the police said that the party attenders should of held the robber until the police got there. and I was like :ugh: :wtf: do you want them to do, the robber is the one with the gun, and law abiding citizens can't legally own guns in D.C.

3. no7fish

no7fish New Member

:See, if you just give them something you won't get hurt. I mean if they had guns it would have probably lead to bloodshed.
    :ugh:

Strange shit...

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

"give me cash, or i'll blow your 14 year old daughters head off"

"why dont you have a glass of wine with us"

what fucking morons.

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Upon further consideration, this must be made up. Handguns are illegal to own in DC. There's no way the robber could have gotten ahold of one.

6. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I think that's the one time a cop has actually encouraged someone to apprehend a suspect. And I bet anti-gun peoeple are going to make them the new poster family.

7. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

IBthecopsfindacrackhousedownthestreetwithseveralcorpses

8. Yeah what they should have done was try and hit him in the head with the wine bottle while he was pointing his gun at their daughter...:ugh2:

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:hsugh:

10. Thats what you would have done right?

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:ugh: no. im saying that why would you offer someone wine in that situation.

12. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Who thinks this is just a group of people that are anti-gun and thinks criminals are just misunderstood and what others to think if you're nice and understanding things work out?

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:dunno:

14. Well everyone got out alive so I don't really see how you are criticizing them. They could have just stood there and said nothing, they could have gave the guy all their shit. I think they did fine but as for the usual wmd bandwagon lets jump to conclusions about them being liberal pussies and gun haters.

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

this is true. im not really criticizing them, i guess im just supprised that the would-be crook had a change of heart :hs:

16. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket NOLA Saints crew, True Blood Jessica crew, Communi

:bowrofl:

They found the glass afterward!

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Um, if he walked out with a crystal wine glass, then something was stolen.

18. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

That was my thinking as well. :hsugh:

19. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

technically they gave it to him :dunno:

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

at gunpoint.