Would a ported box be better sutied for me?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IspitHotFire, Dec 4, 2002.

1. IspitHotFire

IspitHotFire 3 Greatest rappers of all time ? Dylan, Dylan, and

I just got my 2 12' Shivas powered by a JBL 1200.1 in a sealed box. It's loud but it doesnt have that boomy bass I like. Would a ported enclosure help it any??

2. IspitHotFire

I don't know if boomy is the right word. My computer subwoofer is ported ( I geuss, it has a hole at the bottom and lotsa air comes out of it) and I love the sound of the bass it makes. My subs are just different dunno how to describe it.

3. 04

04 Guest

The problem with adding fiberfill is that while technically it makes the box larger, it hardly affects the sound at all. Your looking at a 1dB difference usually.

But fiberfill helps dampen standing waves, and if the woofers were also playing midrange, it would be helpful.

4. 04

04 Guest

First of all, what size is the enclosure they are in now?

Also, if you just want loud bass, run a ported enclosure. I would get a subsonic filter though...

5. IspitHotFire

its not a very large enclosure, the back of my maxima isnt terribly large.

Im leaning more towards porting.... but should I buy a new box or just port the one I have now?

6. 04

04 Guest

I'll need to know the details about your current box before I can answer that. How many cubic feet of airspace does each sub get?