GUN Would a .38 have enough stopping power

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4bangin, Jul 27, 2005.

1. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

..to make you feel comfortable carrying it? I am wanting to get a revolver to carry. I just feel like if my life was in danger enough that I need to use a gun, I don't want that to be the one time it decides to jam. But the selection of revolvers sucks. I want something more powerful than a .22, but not quit a .357. I have some short .357s and I don't like them too much. I honestly get confused dealing with all of the differant caliber bullets, so I'm not sure where the .38 fits in. Any opinions?

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

get a .38 that will shoot +p ammo and load it with a good hollow point.

3. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:love:

4. amt8951

amt8951 New Member

.38 is a good defense cal. But dont forget you can get a .357 and shoot .38 Special out of it. This is my carry gun S&W M65 .357 3in barrel. [​IMG]

5. attomica

attomica Active Member

Look at Ruger's SP101. Great carry revolver.

6. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Anywere you hit some with a .50BMG will stop them

7. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

shoot me in the arms, legs or shit miss me all together (since shot placement also meens you kinda gotta hit them....), shit hit me in the shoulder, and see how many rounds out of my weapon I can get off into you until I drop...

8. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

If it's a .50 BMG, you won't be getting off anything :)

9. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

People who say shit like this have never been shot.

A lead slug ripping a path through your body is traumatic, and probably 90% of the time will put you into actual clinical shock.

10. sundevilmike

sundevilmike New Member

just get a desert eagle .50 cal. no one messes with you when you carry that on your belt.

11. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

OK, you get a .50BMG and shoot me in the finger.

I'll take a .38spc and shoot you in the chest.

I win. Gimme a High 5!!! uh...er...High 4!

12. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

exactly....

As per the person who said just buy a DE .50, I have one, an IMI too. It is the biggest peice of shit.

Every thing on the gun works horribly hard, the trigger is soft, and has no real shooting point. My H&K and my SA 1911 both have really solid triggers where I know exactly down to the pressure where it is going to discharge. I also don't like the way the safety works on the DE, I feel better knowing I can cock or even chamber one quicker, than I can work it's safety... sad.

It is a beautiful gun, and very scary, but is impossible to conceal, the only holster I have to carry it is, uses both shoulders for support and aposing side belt clip and it still pulls up on my belt...

Have you wear a hoody all the time if you want to conceal that bitch, than it is impossible to get to fast.

13. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

:hsugh:

Who do you think you are, Scarface? When you're arm gets blown off, you'll be a little too distracted to shoot accurately.

14. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I know that shot placement is the most important factor. But I also think if I have to fire quickly in a panic and the shot isnt exactly going to hit the person where I want, will it still have the power to do damage. I can shoot targets all day long, but I try not to base what I can do then when my life is in danger, because I have no idea how I will be able to shoot in a panic. Thanks for the replies though!

15. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I would get a .357 S&W revolver and shoot .38 self defense loads out of it. The heavier weight of the .357 gun will keep you on target more easily.

16. eh_D

eh_D 0.13 posts per day

Years back people used to consider the +p semi-wadcutter hollowpoint in .38 Special a viable defense round. Of course it's been years since I've talked to anybody under 50 years old with a wheelgun.

17. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Does your mommy know you are using the computer?

18. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

word

Not only that, you can't carry a DE .50 on your belt... I have one, only way to carry it is in a double shoulder sling, under arm holster... (mother of god, wtf is the name for it).

Even with it going around both shoulders it still pulls up on the opposing side's belt clip... more for show than praticality.

I think the suggestion of a .357 S&W with .38 specials would be your best bet, who knows you might end up liking the .357 mag rounds.

Definatly a smaller caliber is going to give you a faster recovery from shot to shot, allowing for hopefully a more accurate shot.

19. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

I carry a .38 spl. I wouldnt worry about stopping power, im more concerned about placement. little short barrel is really great for close range which i figure if im in any sort of altercation that this will be my best bet. I could strap on the 9 and about 5 mags and be a commando around town. But the reason for having it in my opinion is to get the fuck out/away of a bad spot, so why would i need to carry a ton of firepower? I practice with the .38 more than anything else.

20. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Okay, I'm about to get into this a little, and dabble in some other stuff as well. This gives us a great learning opportunity here, both in caliber selection, and in mindset.

People who say this stuff above have never actually researched what happens to your body when you get shot. It's almost completely a psychological reaction at first, compared to a physiological one. A single round of anything that does not strike the base of the brain, where all involuntary functions are controlled, will not guarantee that the person "drops" right there. Studies have shown that the real reason people have a tendency to drop the first time they're hit is because that's what's trained into their mind to happen. They always see people in the movies and on TV get shot, and just drop. They play cowboys and Indians, and when they get hit, they fall down dead. They're preconditioned to do so subconsciously when they get shot.

Now, that said, you're counting on your adversary to be of normal mental capacity and stability. This is a horrible track to stay on, because you're setting yourself up for failure. People don't just stop functioning when hit. Some people have the proper mindset to stay in the fight so long as they can function, and some of those people will be bad guys, and should you ever be in a position to have to address such an individual with your blaster, you should make hits, first and foremost, and continue to make hits until the threat is no longer a threat. If you pretend for an instant that the person will drop after any certain number of rounds entering his body, you are going to risk some serious consequences upon yourself. If you have to keep shooting until he hits the ground, you do so. If he's still presenting a threat to your life once he's on the ground, you keep shooting. The biggest thing is to make hits, yes. But if you make too few hits, you'd better have some other way out of the situation.

Now, a little anatomy and physiology. People do not go into shock upon the impact of a bullet into their flesh. Doesn't work that way.

Assuming a NON-altered mental status:
    An attacker will likely be in "fight or flight" mode BEFORE he begins the conflict. He knows it's coming, and his body has already started the physiological response. The sympathetic nervous system has already begun the release of catecholemines, which will cause vasoconstriction, an increase in heart rate, and diaphoresis (sweating). Vasoconstriction will actually make it HARDER for the person to go into shock, which I'll discuss below. The epinephrine and norepinephrine released will also help metabolize fat into glucose for immediate use, and will prepare muscles for immediate use. These are all physiological advantages your attacker now has over you.

Let's say you make a COM hit, and optimally hit a major vascular structure. Depending upon the attacker, he may hit the ground and no longer be a threat, just from that one hit. But, he may be one of those guys that just wants to kill you worse than you want to kill him. He may be completely in control of his faculties, and may still have full motor function for quite some time. You see, blood doesn't just pour out in buckets, unobstructed. The vasoconstriction already present from the epi and norepi will keep bloodflow to the area a little lower, AND will help maintain higher blood pressure than without such actions. Shock, simply put, is hypoperfusion, or lack of perfusion. There are a LOT of types and causes of shock. Hemorrhagic shock is just ONE of them. The body immediately compensates for shock through more vasoconstriction, an increase in heart rate, and an increase in the rate of respiration. The body can maintain compensated shock for quite some time. Then it goes into decompensated shock, which can STILL allow a person to function enough to pull the trigger to a firearm. This relates to a person being a major threat to you, even if they're on the ground, bleeding out. What you have to realize is that unconsciousness from shock is generally classified as irreversible shock. That means that they're probably going to die, because you can't put shit back into them fast enough to fix what's been done. It may take quite some time to make them that way, but most people in the US these days never get that far with their firearms-induced wounds. Firearms aren't some magical Thor's Hammer that just immediately crush your foe and knock him down into unconsciousness.

Now, this is all assuming you have hit an optimal vascular structure. The time frame will be very swift, and the person will die quickly, even if shock is compensated for a little while. But, if you miss those really important places, you're probably not hitting the head either. You're hitting organs, you're hitting bones, and you're hitting fat rolls, and you're missing. And in that case, you keep doing that shit as many times as it takes. Just because it's a .50 BMG doesn't mean anything. People also may not even realize they've been hit at all during such a conflict. The mindset cannot be stressed enough. That is probably the most determining factor in how you and your body will react in a life and death fight. Some attackers will have plenty of mindset, and you'd better have plenty of it, as well as plenty of training in putting it to use. All the mindset in the world won't make hits on your opponent.

An opponent with altered LOC
    Now, all this shit flies out the window when you start dealing with people on mind and body altering substances. They do not think through the same thoughts that normal people do. Hell, they may not even be thinking at all. There are substances out there that have the potential to render a seemingly harmless dude into the fucking Incredible Hulk-type rage machine. Anything from alcohol to the ever-popular example of someone on PCP or similarly functioning drug could result in an attack upon you by someone who will NOT recognize in their head that they have just been mortally wounded. They will quite possibly die later due to that wound, but they will have plenty of time to return fire, or keep stabbing, or whatever it is that they're doing to threaten your life. .50 BMG will cause greater physiological results in this case, to help cause either immobilization of limbs, or actual irreversible shock and unconsciousness, but it is not guaranteed to do so unless you hit certain spots.

To address Joe Cool's response by itself, yes, you'll almost certainly go into shock no matter the caliber, eventually. But aside from great hits or massive calibers hitting COM, you're looking at a delay between the hit and the actual incapacitation sometimes. You should NOT count on anything being immediate, because to do so is a failure in proper mindset. People who train to do doubletaps are training to fail. If you stop after any set number of rounds, the one time you need to shoot someone, it might take one more round to put him down than you have always practiced. Train to shoot the threat until it's not a threat. There are people out there that will NOT drop until you devoid their body of a copious amount of blood or physically restrain them, or both. Tasers work well for some of those instances, but multiple high-speed lead injections may be the prescription of the day.

Hopefully, that will sink into some noggins.

21. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Holy Thread Hijack!!! :eek3:

22. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Hey, I didn't start it, but I think I finished it.

23. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

As a nurse, I will complement you on your accuracy in this post.

24. Triad

Triad I deficate locomotives.

The California Department of Corrections uses a .38 as its sidearm of choice (mostly because any idiot can shoot it) to kill inmates.

25. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Thats cool, Footrat is a nurse too.;) :p