Worth it to sell my 2 macbooks for 1 new one?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by aCab, Jun 16, 2009.

1. aCab

aCab New Member

I'm thinking about selling my two macbooks (1st Version Blackbook May 2006 2.0 Core Duo, 80gb, 2GB), and newer version blackbook (Jan 2008 2.2 C2d, 320gb / 4gb) for a newer macbook pro. I hate the glossy screen of the macbook (I do a lot of photo editing) and also hate that the new unibody macbook pros don't have FW400.

What do you guys think? Sell both and get a new one? Try and find a refurbished older (non unibody) MBP with matte screen and FW400?

2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

what's wrong with FW800? you can get a FW800 to FW400 cable.

3. aCab

aCab New Member

Nothing is wrong with it at all - it's better in fact. I just have a lot of things that are FW400. I never knew there was a Converter cable though.

4. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

make www.firefold.com your best friend....I had to as well. Luckily, I found that my Western Digital My Book FW400 drives act as a firewire hub and allow me to connect my HDV Canon cam to one, then daisy chain the two drives, then connect with 400-800 adapter into the MacBook Pro....genius.

5. aCab

aCab New Member

Yeah, all my stuff is daisy chained right now, then I could just finish off the last link with the 400-800 cable.

Thoughts on moving to a new MBP? I guess its the glossy screen I hate now.

6. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

yeah, daisy chain I was aware of but never knew I could use one of the drives to stream DV tape through firewire THEN to the laptop itself.

I think you should go for it...sooner or later, you're going to have to. It doesn't look like Apple is budging from it's glossy screen stance. Besides, you could always get an external display. But, seriously, the brightness does help somewhat to offset the gloss.

I currently have both the new unibody MBP and also a first gen MB and I still use them both but one would be sufficient. If you'll be fine with one laptop and think that liquidating the two you've got will justify the price difference then go ahead and do it. I don't think you'll be disappointed

7. FireFold

FireFold New Member