Worth it to bulk for 2 more months? (ATTN: Pur, Timb etc.)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by JeffMerr, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

So I've been bulking for my first show which was in the middle of May, this means that my cut begins sometime next week. Only problem is I am not where I wanted to be at this time. I was trying to hit 230ish before my diet, I'm only at about 220ish on a good day. I also haven't trained for 2 weeks for various reasons. There is another show that is exactly 2 months after the one I planned on originally. Would I really notice any difference with an additional 2 months? I'm sure I can gain a couple more pounds of muscle, but when it's all said and done and it's the day of the show, will I really notice a difference? I'm stuck between the 2 shows.

2. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

How long have you been bulking for? And how long have you been 220 for?
    I would probably maintain the 220lbs without bulking any further for an extra two months. I think CEAZE posted awhile back that you're more likely to retain more lean mass from what you gained once you start dieting the longer you maintained the weight rather than getting at a certain weight and immediately cutting. And by staying at 220lbs rather than trying to hit 230lbs, you're not putting on any more fat.

3. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

Saw one of your ads at the grocery store today in Fitness RX. Looked pretty sick.

4. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

I've been 220 for quite a while. I think I'll do the second show and put it off for another 2 months, I'm not really mentally prepared for dieting right now anyways. By then i should be a strong 220-225. thanks timb.

5. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

Post some pics of what you look like at 220lbs. You trying to compete at light heavy or middle weight?

6. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

These are all I got, can't remember the weight when I took these, I'm guessing around 215. The show that I am doing goes by height, I'll be in the tall novice group.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

Dont worry about adding more poundage at this point, if the show is in May you should start your cut now and ease into it. Crash dieting a month out will get you no where. Bodybuilding is about being lean just as much as it's about being big. Focus on getting LEAN, that is by far more important at this point. 2 months worth of bulking isnt going to make a shit of difference.

You look good, I'm sure you'll do well. Now GET YO SHRED ON SON.

8. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

Thanks for the advice.

One question I had for you, I tend to lean up really fast, I'm guessing I'm not going to need 3 months, at what point do you know when to ease off? I want to obviously maintain as much muscle as possible. I'm going to be basically running the cut diet.

9. Mass

Mass Active Member

conditioning is always more important than size

10. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

no point in bulking at all, you have plenty of bf and water as is. If the shows in may you have 12 weeks on the button to get ready. Thats enough time if you start now. THis is your first show, and you tend to lean up fast upto a point...8-% is my guess. Its a whole different world when you trying to get truly show ready. Timbers conidtion is the norm for a good show. If he were to get ready i would even have to pull about 10lbs off of him and you know how he looks. Are you tall? Is this a natty show? Your about 10-12% in these pics and look good as well. Im not ripping on you at all.

I want you to do this right and understand to be show level bf under those lights you will be a leaness you have never thought possible. You have a good base and structure. Esp the legs. Which is good because you have size to spare in that area when you diet down. The first time sucks because your body is going to fight you all the way.

Once you commit be prepared to get down to whatever it takes, even if it means losing a little muscle to get ultra shredded. Your going to have to rely on condition as you strong points. You need alot of thickness and size to be truly a force one day. So for this first time just go with getting as lean as possible. And use this as a platform to excel your growth after the show. Once you strip it all off you will be ten times the bb'er after and the next time your 230 it will 2-3% leaner then you are now

You always come back bigger and better and denser. Im guessing you will end up in the 185-195 range, probably more toward 185. Weight means nothing, its all about how you look. PLease do whatever it takes to do this, it will be the most rewarding thing you have done. Since your 12 weeks out and doing this if you want any help at all please by all means pm me and we can talk or meet up or whatever you want to know. Good luck man, your looking good and i hope you do this.

11. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

Thanks a lot. I'm 6'2, it's a natural show (California Natural Bodybuilding Championship). I'll most likely be PMing you, especially nearing the last month, thanks for the support.

12. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

Ok the magic i do doesnt really come into play until 4-5 weeks out anyway but if you want to talk a little now and let me know how your training and eating i can adjust something if need be. I like getting natty guys ready, so much easier to get you dry and shredded, hard part is doing it without losing all your mass but i got that down to. Either way good luck man, glad your going for it. You obvioulsy put in alot of work to be 230 at 6'2 and clean, might as well strip it down and show the hard work. And at 190ish on stage you will be one of the bigger guys there believe me. You also would be a heavyweight in other natty shows to. Not to shabby starting off at the top of the heavys in your first show

13. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Good luck man.

14. Abomb

Abomb New Member

good read. would read again

15. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

Good luck brotha

16. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

Pur already pretty much covered this but you will need every minute of the next 3 months to get lean. So hit that diet and cardio hard. May the force be with you on this journey, for the diet can break even the most disciplined of Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.