Worth getting Grand Cherokee V8 for DD?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TotalEclipse, Jan 7, 2004.

1. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Guest

I will be buying a Grand Cherokee in a few months (2000 or 2001) and wanted to know if the trade-offs are worth getting the V8? (Gas mileage, power increase, etc.)

I know the V6 does a pretty good job on it's own, how big of a difference is it?

2. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Well damnit, I don't think that the 4.7L V-8 was ever actually tested because I can't find the specs on the fucking thing. I'd go with the 4.0 unless you're going to be doing off roading. With the 4.0 you're looking at 195hp and 230ft/lbs, more than adequate. Although my Explorer will be faster than you.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

There is hardly a difference in fuel economy between the two.. so it comes down to preference. If you stomp on the V8, yes, your economy will be worse..

I have the 4.0L, and I get 14-16 city, 18-20 highway. Good friend of mine has the 4.7 and gets almost exactly the same..

I wish I got the V8.. The 4.0L is a dog on the highway.. its OK in traffic, but when I need to pass someone on the interstate, I feel like I have to turn the A/C off and close the windows. :rofl:

Go V8.

4. icecreaman420

icecreaman420 OT Supporter

I have both Jeeps the 4.0(1999) and the 4.7(2000). Let me be the first to say, stay away stay far away. The a built like shit, this spring they will both be sold. They have had more problems than u could imagine. I have a couple diffferent friends with them and we all expierence the same problems. The dealerships suck, they give u the exact same speach everytime u take your car in. They suck. Do not buyy one save your self the hassle and buy like a trailblazer atleast the inside is 100 times nicer. Sorry just had to vent.

5. :rofl: at trailblazer. have fun with that solid piece of equipment. :cool:

6. jdmlude2000

jdmlude2000 Guest

the 4.7 is one of the best v8's ive ever driven with. it gets good gas mileage and what not. its got good power. well atleast the overland does. my dad has a normal one but he says he loves the motor and he hasnt driven mine soo im sure its good