Worst workout ever tonight. What would you guys do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by xpinchx, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I think we've all had those days where you just don't feel like you have much energy. Last night I only got about 3-4 hours of sleep, and on top of that I probably didn't eat as much as I should have, but I still ate pretty heartily. I didn't get a chacne to workout until about an hour ago (11pm) and I was already tired and distracted. Today was

squats 5x5
    incline BP 5x5
    bent over rows 5x5
    tricep extensions 2x15
    incline twist situps 5x10

I usually try to get 10lbs more on squats than I do on Monday, but lately I've been getting closer and closer to my limits, and probably should slow down to +5lbs/week to my squat. I started out and I was having a difficult time going down far enough, so I dropped 5lbs lower than I was supposed to be (to add 5 lbs), so I was on-par with Monday's workout. I usually add +10lbs every set until I get up to my approximate 5RM on my last (5th set.) Well on my 5th set I decided to add 15lbs instead of 10lbs just so I could say I beat Monday's weights. Bad move. I did my first two reps with shitty fucking form, barely got back up. Third time down I start to come back up and it's really really shaky with really bad form.

Regardless I went back down and kept my back straight and went down past parallell, not quite ass to the grass. I decided to go for it against my best judgement, and IMO that was a poor decision without having a spot and not having safety pins in my squat rack. I started to push up and my legs were trembling letting me know there was no way this weight was going up. I squatted back down to regain my balance and I tried again. Holy motherfuck, it was a 1 on 1 battle with gravity. I struggled and I started to black out and get dizzy/go numb. I pushed even harder until I could to start to feel convulsions and I puked. I gave up and fell backwards dropping the weight.

So in the end I got out of this one with only a cracked cement floor, and a bruised arm and ego. So my question is, on those days where you know you just don't have enough energy to get through your workout, what do you do? Save it for the next day? Lift lighter? Skip it altogether? :dunno: I'm still pretty shaky. I got cleaned up and finished up the rest of my workout without too much trouble without adding any extra weight over last week's routine. :hs:

2. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

dude, if you did not have but 4 hours of sleep and waited until 11 to workout, you are a dumbass... What the fuck did u expect to happen, listen to what your body si saying, sometimes it is ok to not lift, or wait one day.

3. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

Actually, I think its good that you went and gave it a shot even though you weren't at 50% potential....at least you went in. Eat more and go through w/ the routine stronger on monday when you hit the squats and deads. Even though you're beginning to plateau, just keep eating and continue to beat your last week's #s and youll be fine.

4. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

If I feel like shit for whatever reason, sometimes I skip it, Sometimes I just power through it. In your situation I probably would have still hit it up just not so hard.

5. Trungtastic

Trungtastic OT Supporter

I had a horrible shitty gym day friday. I went and just kinda went through the motions at 50-75% of the weight

6. blam

blam New Member

Listen to your body not a piece of paper; your routine is just a GUIDE.

Most experienced lifters will tell you to play it by ear. On days when you feel like crap dont push it as hard and on days when the weight is going up easy push it harder then planned.

7. V!

V! New Member

I feel ya, sometimes i've partied too much the night before and haven't ate or slept alot before going to the gym

I use those days for low weight, high rep days

I can't tell myself i won't go to the gym because I feel like shit, I just modify my routine to adjust to my situation

8. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

So, If i feel like complete shit and I know I am going to have a bad day, I should lift, Risk injury, and not hit any PR's just for the hell of it....
    I think NOT, he could have put it off for one day..

9. elysium

elysium New Member

When I feel like shit and it is a workout day I will usually just go to some lighter squats and deadlifts and get out of there. Or else I will just put it off a day and rest up depending what my schedule is.

10. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

To an extent. I mean if you're gonna die, etc. There's a limit. But if its generally like a "oh I'm tired but i still have enough energy to do it." It's still good as long as youre still within your limits. But I guess that's just me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.