Worst computer problem ever!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Socrates, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Socrates

Socrates Guest

Ok! Last night I went into BIOS and I can't remember the exact name of what I changed. It was cpu speed stuff or something, and I changed it from like 100 to 160 something. I don't remember exactly!

Now....When I turn on my computer, it just sits on a black screen (nothing loads, I just hear my comp fans going) and my CD drive just keeps clicking. I am guessing my computer can't handle the settings I put it at, but I don't know. I realize I shouldn't have changed stuff if I didn't know what I was doing, but please help me to fix it! Thanks!

2. Silfx

Silfx New Member

reset your BIOS, should be explained in the book that came with the motherboard, or simple remove the battery on the motherboard for like 10 sec wich will have the same result as resetting.

and the thing you changed was your FSB.

3. Socrates

Socrates Guest

hey thanks man! I'm in class on the computer so I can't see my computer right now, but the battery....even though im sure they are all different and I am not sure what kind of MOBO I have, can you give me a description of what it might look like or where it might be?

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Typically looks like a larger sized watch battery.

5. Silfx

Silfx New Member

6. Socrates

Socrates Guest

I'm sure I can figure it out when I see it, but do I just grab it and it snaps out?

7. Silfx

Silfx New Member

should be able to come out with out to much problems, might need a screwdriver to flip it out.

8. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

no need to reset bios, just move jumper near chip to force it into setup mode, reset the multiplier and you will be ok

9. Silfx

Silfx New Member

moving the jumper is the same as resetting.

10. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

no its not, all settings will be retained, it simply forces you into bios, popping the battery will reset

11. Socrates

Socrates Guest

Well, I turned the computer off and took the battery out, then turned it on. Nothing happend. I turned it back off and put the battery back in, turned it on...nothing. Then, I tried to take it out while the computer was on.

Then! I dropped the battery on the motherboard and sparks flew and I fried the motherboard. In 3 hours I am going to buy a new motherboard. SON OF A BITCH. Problem solved I guess...

12. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

:eek3: OMG lol, that sucks! ....when you take the battery out you have to wait several minutes (maybe 1-2 hours).....shouldnt have had to do that anyway.....expensive lesson to learn....sorry man

13. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Sounds like you might have set the clock speed faster than your CPU could support. :dunno: Turn on the computer and hold F2, often it can pick up the bios even if you cannot see POST. When you do that, press the option that says "Reset back to defaults".

EDIT: Oh man, just seen your last reply. That shit sucks. :mad: Sorry to hear about that. Oh well... hey, look on the brightside. It gives you an excuse to upgrade to something better. :mamoru:\

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that is why you never remove the battery, and you use my friend, mr. reset-cmos jumper.

:rolleyes:

oh well, this is the computers way of weeding out the ignorant that think their crappy 100Mhz FSB chip will magically take 160Mhz.

15. Socrates

Socrates Guest

It wasn't me being ignorant about thinking my computer could take more than it actually could, but rather ignorant that I had no idea what I was changing. I guess me being a dumbass cost me $75.

I blame this on Half-Life 2. I was so anxious to get my comp running better to play Half-Life 2 smoothly :(

16. baby steps next time ;)

17. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I always take out the battery when I'm doing machines at work, the reset jumper can be a bitch to find.

That said, I probably wouldn't risk it on my own hardware :embd:

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

in todays jumperless-mobos, there are only a couple jumpers on mobos -- and the reset cmos is always easy to find -- it's even usually right near the battery.

but because there are capacitors in addition to the battery, it's much better to properly use the reset-cmos jumper.