workout while injured?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by poostik, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poostik

poostik member

I hurt my back on Monday on my 3rd rep of 5x5 DLs . . . Before the soreness really set in, I finished up through the pain (probably not the smartest thing to do) and finished the rest of my routine.
    I felt and heard a crack in my lower back. I was really concentrating on form and such. Sucks cause I lowered the weight because a few weeks ago this happened and I thought it was due to too much weight. Anyway, when I did it a few weeks ago, it took about a week to go away.

Yesterday I skipped cardio (usually do 20 mins of HiiT) because just the impact from walking hurt. I could barely get out of the car w/o cringing. Today it feels a lot better, but I'm still phuctup if i'm holding weight and I turn in certain positions. I just changed the water jug at the water cooler and it hurt when i turned to put it on the thinger. I'm guessing it'll go away in a few days (this is probably the 5th time in a year this has happened).

Today's line up is:
    - light squats 4x8
    - GM's 3x12
    - DB sh press 5x5
    - pullups 4x max

I'm guessing all those except for the pullups is gonna compress or put a lot of stress on my back. I hate missing days but I don't wanna make my back worse. Was thinking about just doing some chest and arms. I never do arms. I've been doing the big compounds, 5x5.

Anyway, do you guys workout if you're phuctup or do you skip until you're better? What would OTF&N do?

2. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

I'd see a doc.

3. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

i would just do those... but it's ur call really

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

I would take a day or two off, rest, and the next day in the gym I would have a nice walk on the treadmill and maybe finish up with some slow stretching of hams and lower back muscles (I like candlesticks myself).

I have injured and re-injured my back so many times I just work around it now. And try to figure out how NOT to re-injure/aggravate it.

edit: I mean, are you going to place second in a competition because you missed a day or two at the gym to heal yourself? :o

5. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

the majority of people shouldn't be stretching their lower back, and especially not if they're injured

6. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

I would just take the rest of the week off and focus on recovery. Honestly all of that is going to put stress on your back. When you grab the db's to walk over to sit its going to strain again. Stay away from deads for awhile.

7. Buzz Killington

I did a little experiment for about two weeks recently. I basically stopped stretching my back after workouts and just finished up and left the gym.

My back has gotten progressively worse and I restarted the stretching. It's now getting back to normal.

Your mileage may vary, please consult your doctor, this post may cause oily stools and heart palpitations.

8. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

the lower back is a stabilizer its not meant to be stretched. You should be stretching your lats, serratus, supscap and traps obviously though

9. Buzz Killington

Well, if I don't stretch it, it hurts, I can't lift, and activity hurts.

If I do stretch it, I feel good, I can lift and be active and sleep through the night.

Until someone posts a pubmed study saying that I should be an immobile cripple, I'll keep stretching :o

10. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

(McGill, Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance, p9)

Stretching of the low back is perceived by many to "feel good," yet very few with bad backs actually qualify to train with this approach. Flexion and rotational stretching overloads the annulus fibers often exacerbating the spinal tissues which can occur unbeknownst to the individual. Yet they continue the practice reporting that it "feels good." They are perceiving stretch, probably via the muscle based stretch receptors, which provides the illusion of something helpful. Generally they are ensuring that they remain chronic and will not make advances until stretching is stopped!

11. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

Have you ever thought that maybe your hamstrings, IT band, piriformis could be tight and the stretching that you are doing has a direct effect on your lower back?

12. poostik

poostik member

thx for the replies. still on the fents on what i'm gonna do. i know i should just be smart and wait til i get better. i just feel like a lump when I don't go.

good luck on straightening out the lower-back-stretch debate. looking forward to the outcome.
    I know I don't stretch as much as I should.

13. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

i'd like to guess the hips...

did you ever think about your hips??? huh? bird-dog can work on that along with glute activation.

14. Buzz Killington

Yes, I have. And tight hams really tweak my back.

I also know that the two times I staggered out of a neurosurgeon's office I was clutching in my hot little hands specific back stretching excercises.

15. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

so a surgeon whose main goal is to do surgery and make money gave you some back stretching materials?:hs:

16. Buzz Killington

That's like saying the bodyshop should not give you driving tips.

Guess what, you're already there, and you're already fucked :rofl:

17. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

Considering at my last job I dealt with surgeons each day... The majority don't want to talk to anyone, help anyone, all they want to do is surgery and make money. Neurosurgeons are the highest paid surgeons.

18. Buzz Killington

These stretches were for post-surgery BTW to keep me limber.

So there was no way these could have induced me to do anything to get me on the operating table.

Although the second surgeon cut me open in the wrong place; stopped surgery, had me wheeled into imaging for more x-rays, figured it out after the film was exposed, and then cut in the right place. That about tripled the length of time I was under.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.