working with PHP and MySQL

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quzur, Jun 19, 2003.

1. quzur

quzur Active Member

I am very new to programing...I bought a book on PHP and MySQL and am going to try and teach it to myself. (the only other code i know is HTML) Do I need to have PHP and MySQL and Apache all set up on the same computer to get it to work? I have an old 350 PII that I am thinking about fixing up just for this stuff. Would that computer be too slow?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

That computer, plus Linux, plus MySQL, Apache and the MySQL libs for Apache, and you will be all set to learn.

Plus it can all be had for free.

3. :boink:

true that.

plus setting it all up, you'll get some awesome administrative experience.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Silly me, by MySQL libs for apache I meant MySQL libs for PHP. Or is Debian the only one that doesn't compile those together? :hs:

5. :dunno:

my Linux experience is unfortunately limited only to RedHat.

6. quzur

quzur Active Member

what about the set up on Win98 ?

7. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

2000 at least.

98 will crash every 5 mins!

8. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I've got Apache/PHP/MySQL up on a W2k box. It runs well. For the hardware you specified, W2k is going to choke a bit.

I think it would be easier to set it up on a Linux box. Do a new install. Mandrake and RedHat both have installers (and I'm sure other Linux distros will do this too) that will let you select Apache, PHP, and MySQL and presto, you're all set to go.

9. Khabi

Khabi Guest

For just learning how to program php/mysql the PII would be fine. If you're planning on running an actuall website off of it that would be a different story alltogether. I would suggest Linux, but thats not for everyone and really wouldn't be helpfull right now if you're trying to learn PHP. There are really good tutorials out on the web for getting Apache/php/mysql working together. Just google it and you'll be fine.

10. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

As for the processing power - a 350PII with Linux will be fine - even running a personal site or a site or two will be fine (I'm guessing the home bandwidth cap will become apparent before the processor gets too bogged down). Running W2k/XP is doable as well, but you've got a lot of overhead and you'll need a boat load of RAM to keep W2k/XP from thrashing the hard drive. Just depends on what you want to do...

I'm running PHP (v4.x), Apache, and MySQL off a P100 box. The silly bandwidth cap is what kills my site performance.

11. quzur

quzur Active Member

I think i am going to go with the Linux set up. I am already getting into 3 programs I have no idea about...might as well make it 4 :)