A&P working photogs

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by The_Eagle_Has_Landed, Mar 23, 2010.

1. The_Eagle_Has_Landed

The_Eagle_Has_Landed New Member

For the working photographers here full time or part time, do you guys collect and pay sales tax. i know some states you have to pay sales tax on the prints and books and also on session fees. i have noticed in my state allot of photographers dont collect them but by state law you have too.

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I collect and pay sales tax on everything that is for local customers. This can amount to over a $100 on some of my wedding packages. I'm required by law to charge sales tax for the entire package. I have a few out of state clients that I don't charge sales tax.

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

this is another thing that applies to those who are registered businesses.

I'm not a government recognized business, so I don't report income, claim expenses or pay sales tax.

Chances are most of the photog's you see are like me.

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Whether you're registered as a business or not, you MUST report all income and pay taxes on it. You can report it as "other" income, but you still need to report it to the IRS.

5. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

yep.

6. The_Eagle_Has_Landed

The_Eagle_Has_Landed New Member

i think everyone knows that, i was talking about sales tax at the state level , that differs from state to state. in my state you have to pay sales tax on the tangible goods you sell like prints and books but you also have to pay sales tax on session fees too.

7. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

Certain states have different media rules too. We get a lot of tax benefits here in TX.

8. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I was responding to jared who says he doesnt report income or pay taxes on it.

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I don't.... :dunno: Well, not for the photography stuffs... But I don't make nearly enough doing it to even consider it a dent in my overall budget... But really, if you count the stuff I buy vs. the $$ I make, I actually lose money every year in photography.... It would really blow to claim the $$ I make, considering it's only off setting my expenses - and I can't claim the expenses.

next you'll be telling me I should be charging tax on the canvases too...

:wiggle:

10. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I am legal and collect sales tax. My wife is a bank manager and she sees lots of self employed people who collect the sales tax, but don't pay it, don't report any income, aren't registered businesses, and don't have their accounts set up correctly.

Its actually pretty bad how many there are.