Working out with Set of barbells

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by cassetti, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Working out with Set of dumbbells

So i'm 21 years old - just turned 21 - alwasy been the scrawny skinny guy - very low body fat - just who i am.

But i'm tired of beign small - and for the past 2 months - i've been working out EVERY weekday for about an hour after work - i have been making awesome strides (i am not entirely a newbie - my brother has always read fitness books, magazines, even made me read alot of the complete encyclopedia of bodybuilding by arnold (old edition however). - And i am aware of all the usual things people tell you when you start working out - no need to repeat the simple stuff)

Anyway - I'm looking for people who can help me. I work out with machines - at my appartment complex near campus to start - because i'm very modest shy kinda guy at times - and don't feel like working out in a big gym to start - when i can't lift weights really. But now i'm getting more and more built up - i'm going to be ready to start going to the gym with friends that have been working out much longer than me.

I have a bench at my appartment - for doing work with barbells, and crunches and whatnot (its collapsible for putting under my bed). And i have a set of barbells - with a total of 45 pounds of weight - not a lot by no means - since thats total weight - but its small - nice, cheap - since i got it used.

I'm good for advice on what stuff to do on the machines - and later at the gym - but for the weekends when i don't go to the gym - or like now - while i'm at the beach for a few days - i want to look for exercises to do with two barbells and 45 pounds of weight.

I want to find exercises that really work out the body - give me the most gains for my effort. I obviously want to get GREAT definition later on - but for now - i need to bulk up.

My brother has always told me - to do the "Tricep Dumbbell Kick Backs" - That one from what i have read - really is great for hitting all three heads of the triceps. - it really is a good exercise - doesn't take a lot of weight to really work my triceps.

I'm looking for more exercises like that - don't need a lot of weight to start with - yet give great gains.

I feel stupid asking for help but everyone has to get help somehow. And this is not like my other 'just give it half my all and thats it' - no i have a goal in mind - and i am determined - everytime something in my life happens (i don't have drama at all - just stuff - anything) - it could be moving around a heavy unit at work, or flying my traction kites at the beach - and getting worn out so fast. Or my ambition to take up kiteboarding (an extreme version of surfing) - Everything just keeps on pushing me to eat healthy, drink my protien which my body CRAVES like crazy after i work out (before i started on whey protien as reccomended by several people - i was eating over 50 ounces of steak a day - which is a lot for me -seeing as how i am 5'10" and i weigh 142 pounds)

Thanks a LOT guys! (note - i'm looking for exercises with 45 pounds to work out anything i can to give great gains - i need to bulk up everwhere)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  2. cassetti

cassetti New Member

oh yeah? lol - yeah - someone definately help a newb out

3. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

squat, deadlifts, and bench press

4. cassetti

cassetti New Member

uh - yeah - kinda hard to do that with onyl 45 pounds and two dumbbells- no bar - made mistake with subject- woops - fixed that.

anyone else with some suggestions on dumbbells

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  5. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

If you really want to gain mass you gotta do those

6. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

dude i hate to be a broken record but unless you have great equipment...just shell out like 30 bucks a month for a gym pass

7. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Oh i do - i do go to a small gym - at my appartment complex - and work out - i do squats, bench press, incline press, etc. though i cna't do deadlifts here - but i do enough of that at work lol.

But i'm looking for certain exercies to do with dumbbells - on days when i do not have access to a gym because they are closed, or the place is closed because i worked late

Thats what i'm looking for - i already know how to do stuff wiht barbells and that - well enough to get me by for now in that section of building mass

8. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

thats what im saying...buy a pass to a real gym where youll always have access...

9. PepsiMax

PepsiMax New Member

qft.

You really just need to go to a real gym and lift freeweights.

10. armond

armond New Member

I agree with getting a membership, or get better equipment, like more weights. Eat, lift, shit, sleep, repeat.

But here are some dumbbell exercises...

Hammer curls
    Curls
    Dumbbell Squats
    Overhhead Dumbbell Press
    Flyes
    Dumbbell Pullover
    Kickbacks
    Overhead Tricep Extensions
    Weighted Crunches
    One Arm Dumbbell Rows
    Lateral Dumbbell Raises
    Dumbbell Lunges
    There are more, but I do not feel like trying to get them off the top of my head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.