Working out too much

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Super(man), Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super(man)

Super(man) New Member

I'm 16 years old and usually hit up the gym after school because its become a habit. I rarely miss going to the gym after school since it's on the way home from school (I walk until April when I can drive).

Sometimes I find myself going 6 times a week and resting on Sundays...

I workout certain parts of my body every day (it's not the same muscle group every day) and when I do workout 3 days a week because of going away on a weekend or something I feel like I am not working out enough.

When I read on the forums here it seems that most of you guys are working out 3-4 days a week, is that because that's the most you can fit in or because thats just how much you should workout in a week.

Lemme know guys, :bigthumb:

2. V!

V! New Member

I work out 5-6 days a week, and everyday i don't work out, I do about 2-3 miles of running

Some people may go 5-6 times a week for only 1 hour versus someone who goes 3-4 times a week for 1.5 hours, all depends

Your body does need time to recover to get back to it's full stength, I try to mix up the times i go to work out to give my body that extra time

Prehaps go on Monday morning and then again late Tuesday night, been working for me so far

3. Super(man)

Super(man) New Member

Good thinking... Because of school I am limited to 3PM to 10:30PM and also I play a lot of hockey which is usually at night so that's why after school is so convenient for me. So, maybe I should schedule it how you said, Monday afternoon, Tuesday night, and so on... That might work a bit better.

BTW, I feel fine, I am not sore or anything so maybe I'm not overtraining (if that is possible).

4. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

It's different for everyone, it depends on your intensity, experience, rest, supplementation†, and genetics. Some people respond well to one group a week, some people need to work groups twice a week. Just monitor your progress and listen to your body. If you're not progressing and you always feel tired, you may want to not go so often. But if you've been progressing at a nice pace (lifts going up), then just stick with it and ignore 99% of the responses you read here. You can trust a few people††.

†By supplementation I mean steroid usage :mamoru:
    ††I'm not one of them.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I used to work out 5-6 times a week, but I found that my body responded a lot better to 3x a week. I was able to keep up a high level of energy and intensity during my workouts and my strength went up at a faster pace. There are lots of hockey players that work out 5-6x a week, but you might want to modify your workout on or before gamedays.

6. onslaught61

onslaught61 OT Supporter

i wish i could work out 6 times a week, but i think its too much, so i replace the off days with cardio, grip training, bodyweight training and of course resting. always have something to do which is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.