Working out tomorrow for the first time. Need some tips on diet.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by PC Principle, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

I purchased a gym membership and am going to start working out M-F 6AM every morning for at least 30 minutes. I recently started a low carb diet in July and have lost 65 pounds as a result of it. I now weigh ~270. I have a lot of muscle mass already naturally so I am not just some flabby mess. I am strong, fast, and very agile for my size. I think my job has something to do with it.

What I am really looking to do is to tighten up some skin around my belly area as a result of my large amount of weight loss. It isn't terrable but it is pretty noticable and my stretch marks have shrivled up big time. I would like to also do some sort of activity that would help me burn fat and replace it with more muscle as well.

I also need to know what to do about my diet. I realize that if I intend to work out in the morning I should at least eat something beforehand that contains a lot of carbs, like a granola bar or something to give me the needed energy. Any ideas on something quick to eat on the way to the gym that would give me the needed energy?

Now I am pretty new to this type of stuff and have not worked out since high school so please be a little patient with me and my questions. I know probably 99% of you all dislike low carb diets but this seems to be the only thing that really works for me, so I am sticking with it. Protein intake will not be a problem since that is what I mainly eat everyday. Thanks for your time.

2. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Nothing wrong with low-carbing it man. Many of the leanest dudes on here are conscious about their carbs and I too cut carbs down considerably (130-150g daily) when trying to lean down.

Now that you will be lifting you do have to realize the importance carbs have though. Try to get some carbs in your system in the morning before your workout... Nothing too crazy but half a bagel or half a cup of oats will do the trick.
    After your workout your body needs carbs to replenish and help recovery/growth of the muscle. So after your workout take in a majority of your daily carbs in a simple carb form.

Other than that, keep doing what you're doing because obviously it is working for you. You're new to this, so don't let it get too complicated yet. Keep protein high, keep good fat high, keep your carbs in check... but make sure you consume about 25-30g pre workout and then another 50g post workout.

3. Foty

Foty Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/528; U; en))

Stickies bro stickies

4. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Thanks for the info man, this is the exact type of info I was looking for. I guess a lightly buttered piece of toast beforehand and a couple granola bars afterwards would be good, right?

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

You've actually got it backwards.

You want complex carbs (oats, whole grains, fruits) prior to your workout for slow digesting and sustained energy.

You want simple carbs (white bread, sugar, candy, gatorade, etc...) post-workout to refill glycogen stores and help with muscle recovery.

The granola bars will be good post-workout only because they typically have tons of sugars in them, but the oats themselves are not typically what you want.

But of course, you're pretty new to this, so as long as you are getting in some carbs pre-workout and post workout you'll be fine... and I assume I don't have to tell you it is also super important to get a good helping of protein in post-workout as well.

6. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

I doubt I have any problems on the protein end. I generally eat 32-40oz of chicken/beef/fish/deer daily. :coold:

I'll grill me some chicken breasts and eat a couple after the workout in the morning. :coold:

7. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Sounds like you've got things under control.

As you progress throughout time read up on carbs a little more and later down the line you can start doing carb manipulation stuff for even better results.

8. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Motorola Q: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Today went well. Spent 20 minutes on the eliptical machine where the resistance kept going higher while I was peddling. My legs burned big time, lol. I ate a sausage egg and cheese on a bagel right after so I could get some carbs/protein. Tomorrow I start on my upper body. :coold:

9. deznutz

deznutz New Member

Nothing is going to make your loose skin go away, unless you have plastic surgery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.