SRS Working nightshift

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GaveUp, May 15, 2006.

1. GaveUp

GaveUp New Member

Does anyone else here work nightshift? I work 6 days a week doing nightshift in the office alone. To be honest, I don't think mentally it is the best to sit here night after night by myself, but I have been doing this on and off. Does anyone know of any long term health effects of working nightshift that I should be aware of?

2. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

i'd kind of like working alone. the serious drawback to night working is on fridays and weekends your friends can go out and u cant

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I work nighshifts, but its shuffled every week with a dayshift, its pretty well organized. Wether its mentally bad for you, honestly it 'depends on the person'. Some people can't stand it, other people like me thrive on it. It really goes good with my absurd lifestyle which i love, so for me it works fine.

I know the long term effects of being alone, i know a co-worker who is always alone and has to work nightshifts. When he finally is with people he gets uber-social, talks for 3 and laughs and smiles a lot. I gues its to compensate all the time that he is alone. It doesn't have to be bad if your mind is mentally challenged all the time. But you get 'distantiated' from normal ordinairy life. But the trend is 24 hour economics nowadays, im doubting that it is a good thing, your missing out the lives of other people because you don't live parallel to their time schedule and thus you won't meet those who aren't on the same shifts. Plus you have to ask yourself do i live to work or do i work to live. These are delicate decisions because you have to schedule, work vs life. I know people who do nightshifts for many many years. They are still normal, just a bit repetative.

4. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

Umm...I don't think there's any health risks...it might make a social change in you, but the worst that could happen is you could have a harder time working with people...I honeslty love working night shifts...I guess it depends on the person...

5. kakariko

kakariko Purple Member OT Supporter

i worked a job that had me 06:00-18:00 for 3 weeks then switched to 18:00-06:00 the next 3 .. after about 8 months time i couldn't even go to work anymore.. i had developed very severe panic disorder (that i'm still taking medication for and trying to get over).. i don't think it was necissarly the hours, but the amount of caffeine i took and not letting my body get rest when it needed it for 12 hours at a time.. just be careful, it was not worth it.. the extra few thousand robbed me of 2 years of my life in recovery time

6. noola

noola New Member

It's proven that people never truely adjust to night shifts.

7. GaveUp

GaveUp New Member

Well with my personal life, it kinda sucks because I dwell a lot of things, and being alone and such I think is having a negative effect on me.

8. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

A few years back I had to work the night shift for 30 months. If you play it right, you can learn to love that shift. I worked 10pm-6am. So, you are on your way home and everyone else is starting their day while you are ending yours. One good thing about night sift is that you miss a lot of the drama that happens on daylight shift. Make it work for you. When you get home go to bed , get up around 2 or 3. (The daylight crew is still locked into 2 or 3 more hrs. of work.) Stay up late on your days off and you will stay in sync.
    If you think it through, a good social life can be had on this shift. If you have spare time at work, fill it with reading and listening to some good stuff. Now you got me thinking about it...I really miss that shift.

9. 2500

2500 Guest

the only thing i've heard health wise, is that some people who work night shifts don't go out during the day as much. sunlight is a major factor in people health. it can change mood, self esteem, and vitamin D. so, if you have to work night shift, always try to get outside during the day in the sun. other than that, i wouldn't see any problem with it. i'm a night owl though, so i love the night time. but i always try to get my share of sunlight and fresh air.

10. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

My bf works night shift 6pm to 7am for a trucking company as a mechanic. Coupled with a ldr it wreaks havoc on our relationship. I work days 11-10 during the summer, and go to school full time, and work part time in the school year, and him nights on alternating days. Ive begged him to go back to days, and it is very difficult for him to stay on a steady sleep schedule sometime by his own valition other times because of other obligations. However, he is making decent money and doesnt seem to mind it so im out on the hang with the bf time.

He only has one other person there with him at night, and telephone with idiotic truck drivers to talk to. It would drive me insane if I didnt have anyone competent to talk to, or even incompetent for that matter. I hate being by myself it creeps me out.