SRS Working for a family run business sucks. Dont do it!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LaserRed, Aug 25, 2009.

1. LaserRed

LaserRed New Member

I worked for a family business for over 3 years as a service technician. In my 2nd year of employment the owner hired on his nephew to work under me, and so I can have some help as well.

Due to the crappy economy, business has gotten slow and I knew layoffs were coming. The shitty part about it is, I knew it would be me and not the nephew. This past Monday, they laid me off and I was pissed. They said they would call me in about a month or so, but I wont come back.

Not only was this guy the nephew, he was an habitual liar(the owner told me that himself), he has a 5th grade education, poor people skills and cannot spell worth a damn. I would have to apologize to some customers and read out their receipts to them because he would write them up and misspell the simplest words. Oh, they would also give him random raises because he knocked up his "girlfriend" twice, and they couldn't make it on his wage. She didn't work, so he gets a raise, meanwhile, I work my ass off and haven't seen a raise in 2yrs, and I have a wife and kid.

Cliff notes: don't let yourself get in a situation like mine..

2. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

What do you know, family comes ahead of strangers. Shocking stuff, huh?

3. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

Did you tell them you wouldn't come back? If no, then avoid saying that. You may need money when that comes around and you can go back to working there until you find a better job then you can just go ahead and quit whenever you feel like it since they treated you that way. You might also be able to talk them into paying you better.

In defense of the owner of the company or whom ever is in charge. *IF* they do not know the type of worker he is and they assume he's good because they aren't looking at his performance then you can't blame them for laying off you instead of him.

I def understand your frustration towards what happened. But maybe they feel as if their nephew is going to be with the company for a long time and they view you as just being temporary (from your own decision of being temporary).

The nephew is obviously somebodies son that is the brother or sister to the owner. Well, it might be harder to tell that brother or sister that I'm going to lay off your son. You never know what's going on in their family.

4. LaserRed

LaserRed New Member

No, I didn't tell them I wouldn't come back. This is actually the 2nd time they've laid me off. The first time I worked in the warehouse, and then an opening in the svc. dept. opened up and I took it. I worked under a guy, business got slow, so they laid me off...

They know what kind of person he is, but not so much a worker. They know he'll do anything they ask because they did him a favor giving him that job. He would even come in saturdays when the owner told him to and not do any work related to service. They basically told him to come in to sit around and get overtime while I would have to get permission from 2 people to work a saturday.

The nephew is the owners' brothers' son...His dad died of AIDS, was gay and beat on him and his sister. I think the owner feels obligated to "baby" him because the nephew's dad was the black sheep of the family.

They lay me off, keep some incompetent people to run the front counter, meanwhile, the other two sons (and their families) of the owner are supported by mommy and daddy even while they are in their 30's...And the owners are having their house remodeled as we speak..

Life's great huh!

5. amac88

amac88 New Member

Id find a totally new job, that sounds like a pretty messed up family and situation.

6. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

People always look out for the familiar. If it wasn't nepotism you'd probably be exposed to the huge company that promoted some hot bimbo with her legs spread or some guy that does shitty work but networks a lot. The best people don't often get the job or the fair deal. I'd say that getting good at socializing is more important than your actual skills, outside of the basics. And even then a likable person makes up for that.

7. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

Well there ya go. Makes more sense since you mentioned his dad dying of AIDS. He probably knows that by laying his nephew off he'll possibly ruin his life for good and really hurt him.

Don't feel bad just keep your head up. When one door shuts the other opens. Look at it on the bright side. I'm assuming you're probably not that old so at least you can learn from this now instead of later. Put yourself in a position where you're irreplaceable.

8. LaserRed

LaserRed New Member

Its funny you mention the part about the bimbo. They opened up another store in another city and one of the sons was in charge of hiring...take a guess what kind of person he hired. Yup, an ex-hooters waitress that knows nothing about the line of work associated with the job. And there were rumors of her giving bj's in the bathroom there at the store....

And I am looking for a new job in a totally different line of work. I might even go to back to school. I've been looking for an excuse anyway.

9. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

bj's in the bathroom? where ya work :o

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Sorry to hear what has happend to you, family bussinesses don't always have to be bad, it depends on the family and size of the bussiness. And there's a (or multiple) black sheep in almost any family. The family made the wrong decision for firing you instead of the nephew.

You are and should remain to be a quality technician and skilled, professional worker. But you need to know something important. My dad worked hard all of his life, and he got tons of the same shit that's happening to you over and over again, the problem was that he thought that 'working hard' entitles you to certain rights. While in reality you're just shit that they can flush along with your rights at any time convienant to them thru the toilet.

Work for yourself and don't expect anything.

11. LaserRed

LaserRed New Member

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

12. dokebi

dokebi Commentator

This kind of problem exists everywhere. They call it corruption if on a higher playing field.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This episode was brought to you by the word: Nepotism.

14. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:rofl: :werd:

i was called in for a interview for a family owned business. i came to find out i wasn't being interviewed for the position i originally applied for because the owner's granddaughter got that position.

to make this short... this was a chemist position. i have a science degree. the granddaughter has a business degree. :ugh:

i got offered the granddaughter's position, but i turned it town. i didn't even want to step foot in a company like that.

15. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I'm sure if it was your business you would lay off your nephew before someone else amirite? :hsugh:

16. HoVa

HoVa New Member

i guess thats why they call it a family business.

even before murdoch bought the wall street journal, it was a family business.

in-n-out is still a family business.