MMA "worked" fights in pride?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by brolli, Oct 30, 2005.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

As you may know, pride has had some worked fights in the past (I think they admitted that every takada fight was a work). Anyways after watching the latest pride, I am fairly convinced that they still are putting in some worked fights here or there. I am pretty much suspicious of all fights that have pro wrestlers in them such as ogawa, giant silva, yoji anjo, etc. I realize that many people don't want to accept this as it would hurt the integrity of the sport... but I don't know I am starting to become convinced. I think that if they really are doing it, it is unfair to the public regardless of how exciting the fight ends up, because it takes away the competitiveness and realness of MMA, which are basically two of its best aspects.

Then again, maybe I am completely wrong. What do you guys think?

2. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

they definitely had some in the first few Prides...but just to get the MMA movement built up in japan...once they got it started they didn't really have a need for them anymore...which fights are you referring to? all those pro wrestlers you were referring to got their asses whooped...anjo almost got his arm snapped off by that psycho ryan gracie

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Anjo has 0 wins in his mma career. Yet he is fighting in pride. I mean... that alone makes me think that he is sent in there and paid to lose to make some fighters look better.

Also having sumo fighters like Henry Sentoryu Miller fight Giant Silva... I don't know.

Other fights I think that were worked:

Ken Shamrock vs Don Frye
    Minowa vs Kimo
    Ogawa vs Giant Silva
    Takayama vs Don Frye (don't hate me, I really think it was worked)

4. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

i dont believe in works anymore...but what i do think is that the matchmaker's of organizations are very clever in setting up fights so that the fighter they want to win has every advantage coming into the fight...especially in tournament setups...if they want certain fighters to advance...they'll give them easy routes...and give their opponents very short notice to prepare for fights...etc..stuff like that

i guess we have a different view of what works are...but with anjo...pre-setup outcomes with him are not necessary....your right his sole purpose there is to lose...but they dont have to pay him to take a dive...he'll lose regardless

i don't get how you can think frye vs takayama is a work...first time i heard that

5. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Think about it, if pride called you and said you had to fight Don Frye, would you go into the match and start eating 50+ punches from him? Either Takayama had a REALLY bad game plan, or was paid to make the fight exciting and lose.

6. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

he wasn't punching frye like he was trying to lose...your view of a work is different i think...what did you think of the Nick Diaz vs Koji Oishi fight then? is this a work? cause Oishi's sole purpose in the UFC was to lose...and give the perception that other organizations(pancrase, Pride, etc) are weaker...and also foreign fighters...Oishi fights at lightweight...and had to fight diaz in UFC at 170...he comes in at like 161 fat...point is matchmakers know what they are doing....i dont consider this a work...just a product of clever matchmaking

7. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

tons of fighters are brought into lose

gassaway, sinosic, basically all the fighters brought into fighting TUF fighters are there to lose quickly and make the TUF fighters look good.

8. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

:rofl: did anyone actually care who won this fight?

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

heh not really but the fact that giant silva was actually even part of that GP was stupid.

10. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I think sentoryu is one of those 'record padding' guys in pride.

after this last show I believe more and more that, while they may not be total works, the combination of creative matchmaking, and judges that will call a fight for which ever fighter they want to win, makes for the perception of actual worked fights.

11. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Well I sort of meant worked as in pride telling both fighters which one is to win, and to put on a good show for fans b/c that = $$$$. I don't know though.

12. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Supposedly Shamrock broke Frye's ankle. He didn't tap out only because there were only a few seconds left

13. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah my point being, they probably aren't works in that sense, but there is sometimes a VERY good chance of a certain fighter winning in certain scenarios.

14. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i fidn it annoying how everyone calls WORK! everytime something looks fishy.

people were saying ken/saku is a work. I mean, yes there have been works in the past, but not to the level where we should be thinking half of every card is full of them.

15. damiand

damiand Proceed

Coleman vs some asian, ill find outwho was a work, as addmited by Coleman. He was offered a good amount of money and took the fall. Minowa vs Kimo was too hard to believe, Kimo had what 80lb on Minowa? He could of shook that fucking leg free, or kicked and flailed.

16. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Coleman vs Takada

In some book Takada admitted all his mma fights were works.

Kimo/Minowa didn't look worked to me. Minowa isn't that bad... and Kimo has never been considered top 10 material.

17. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Kimo is supposedly a bjj black belt and has a TON of weight on Minowa. I dont' know, getting caught in a straight foot lock so easily looks pretty suspicious to me.

18. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

Takada has kinda redeemed himself, he has made a pretty damn good matchmaker for pride

19. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

It looked fishy, but I dont personally feel it was fishy enough to call work. I'm also pretty sure he's not a legit black belt in bjj.

20. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I agree. I dont really mind works in the early days. They had to do something to build the sport and Takada was already a huge name from his pro wrestling career, so they involved him in works to get people interested in Pride.

I also think Coleman redeemed himself after winning the 2k hw gp.