Work Tabata method into a CP routine?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by sprite, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprite

sprite Active Member

Have any of you guys ever tried incorporating any Tabata method stuff into a CP routine? I think I'd like to give it a try.

I was thinking of working them in every-other DE day. Where I'd do my primary movements, then replace the supplemental & accessory movements that I'd normally do with Tabata method front or overhead squats on DE squat day, and maybe push presses or split jerks on DE bench day.

Any opinions?

2. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

what is tabata?

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Pick an exercise & weight. Do as many reps as you can do in 20 seconds. Rest 10 seconds. Repeat 7 more times.

4. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

i dunno, does nto seem like something that would work, why are u doing this?

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

Basically, its HIIT with weights. It increases aerobic & anaerobic capacity, and is supposed to be a great fat burner. I'm trying to lean out, so that is the goal it works towards. I guess its worth saying that even though I follow a CP routine, I'm not purely interested in "powerlifting" per se, so I already incorporate a few exercises that don't fit in with a normal CP template, and not everything I do is strictly oriented at increasing my numbers in squat, bench, & dead.

This is the article that really got me thinking about it. I like & agree with most of Dan John's ideas, but his routines are usually more focused on oly lifting and athletic performance, not so much pure strength development from a powerlifting aspect.

The Tabata Method

I've tried to find some more research on it, but pretty much all I come up with is a bunch of articles like the above... which can by synopsized with "it's an ass kicker, it will improve your conditioning, it will help burn fat."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.