SRS Work Stress

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ldaggerl, Sep 24, 2009.

1. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Does anyone else get really upset with the way things go at work? I work in tech support for a software company and lately people have been making stupid stupid decisions. We're putting out software that hasn't been tested, and if it has it was done so half ass its not funny. Then on top of that I'm stuck doing shit that doesn't have anything to do with my job. Its shit other people are starting and then dumping on us. Its not me soley that feels this way here, its basicly the whole tech department. I'm growing tired of all the shit that goes on here. Our software has so many issues it not funny. Its causing me a lot of stress when programming or testing puts out pieces of the software that just don't work. Its simple shit, like trying to export or lets just simply print something. No none of it works correctly. I'm sorry, this is more a rant than anything but I'm sick of this crap. I've only been here a year too.

2. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

1) Stop complaining about it so much. Negativity feeds negativity, and it can cause you to blow things completely out of proportion. After having a job once where I joined the group of complainers (and eventually getting fired due to it), I vowed to politely distance myself from complainers. Lo and behold, I enjoyed my next job quite a bit more, although I could see myself hating it if I'd joined that group of complainers.

2) Just do your job. Unless your job is quality control, don't worry about whether it's being sent out incomplete or not. Focus on doing your job right. When people keep looking at someone else, paying attention to his job, they neglect their own.

3) If it's really that bad, quit and go somewhere else.

4) If you feel its so bad, perhaps talk to a manager about it. Be careful though, it's very possible that since you're just a monkey, you don't actually know the reasons behind their decisions, and that their decisions actually made sense given all the information.

3. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I'm not blowing it out of proportion. I do enjoy coming to work because I love the people I work with. I get irritated and upset having to deal with the same shit every day when we should. It would be easily fixed if people just took an extra step.

I am doing my job, to the best I can. I spend extra time after work when I have to because of stupid problems. I do what I can and try my best.

My manager knows all about the issues and he'll be the first to talk about it. We all understand we still need to do our jobs but when simple things that causes us more time when they could have simply be put to a stop with 5 minutes of the initial persons time it become frustrating.

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I'm sorry, but this statement smacks of naivete and self-aggrandizement, common to people who haven't ever held higher positions. It sounds just like people who say 'politicians are so stupid. It would be so easy to solve X issue if they only did Y'.

This may not necessarily apply to you, but that is how you come across.

Great! But you missed the entire point of that part of the post. The point was to just do your job. Right now you're trying to do your job and the job of the person who decides whether or not to send the software out.

Well then my statement would imply talking to his manager.

Of course, that means you'd be stepping above your manager's head, which would likely not be appreciated. Once again, it's your manager's job to deal with these things, not yours.

5. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

You can always look at things from a couple of different perspectives. Could you possibly view the software debacle as job security?

Stressing over retarded things at work is never good. Are they paying you this instant to come in here and rant? If not, you're working overtime w/o pay.

Be like a duck and let this thing roll off your back.

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Nope I've become pretty good leaving work at work when I'm at home. Its not my problem if management can't manage correctly, I'm not one of those people that work tons of overtime to make up for others mistakes. Don't like the way the company is run? leave.

7. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

That sentence was worried poorly and makes me look like an ass, but anyways.These are simple simple things that I'd ask for. I'll give you a simple example, we have in house software for when we configure the software for the first time. We must authorize the database with the server in our building. The software we use just doesn't work, its a simple but no one will. So instead we must manually open up the database and authorize it which in itself isn't hard to do but when I could have just pressed one button and taken a few seconds to do it now takes me 5 minutes. Its a pain and really shouldn't have to be done. When you pile up tons of little things it tends to become a big issue.

I don't want to do his job but when he doesn't do his correctly and it effects mine I feel that I have the right to say something about it. Just if I wasn't to do mine correctly he'd have the right to say something to me. And I'm by no way a god or trying to seem like I'm mister know it all. I just see simple issues that could easily be fixed and cause me less work.

I'm not going to go over his head and I know he's spoken about these issues. Unless I have an issue with him I'm not going to go over his head.

I can't leave with calls in the queue and I can't stop in the middle of a call because 5 o'clock came around.

8. Normie

Normie The TBW weight loss plan worked for me! OT Supporter

Sometimes you have to take the initiative.. Do you know the guy that owns the database? Perhaps it is time you introduced yourself to him.. A simple conversation might make your life easier, or introduce you to the logic behind something not being automated. "Hey Bill, your database is awesome.. I know you're probably getting your ass kicked with constant updates and other necessities within it, but it might make your job less cumbersome if there are less hands in the backend, and it may help you to make an automatic authorization for new clients so that multiple people aren't making changes at once adding to your overall stability" Maybe the guy just didn't think of it.. Maybe there is a security issue if he codes an auth in??

You can't leave with calls in your queue? Meaning that it is manditory you empty the queue before you leave? If so thats an Overtime issue? If they aren't paying OT, then fuck em.. If the problem is you can't get your work done in a timely manner, either find a job you can finish, or figure out why these items are taking you too long.

If you find yourself doing someone elses work, close his ticket for him, with notes.. Or re-open the ticket with notes.. If you are working out of a queue, you absolutely have the ability to do so. if your management is doing their job, they'll see it in the notes and make the necessary corrections.

9. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Fair enough, but why don't you suggest that you fix the problem? I'm sure your manager would see the merit in having you spend a few hours to fix a problem which has been bothering everyone. Likely the biggest reason it hasn't been fixed yet is because it is such a minor issue - why would you take someone off of something they're busy with?

You do have a right to say something about it. My point is that whining about it to people who can't do a thing about it is pointless. You can talk to the guy if you think talking to him will make a difference, but otherwise, your choices are to deal with it or to quit. Whining about it will just make you unhappier, and annoy everyone else around you.

Seriously, take it from a guy who's been there. No matter how annoying something is, it won't bother you nearly as much if you just brush it aside and forget about it, rather than dwelling on it. It's impossible to not dwell on it if you complain about it to others, and complaining tends to reinforce negativity, rather than alleviate it.

Which returns me to my original point, which was to just do your job and let him worry about his. Sure it's going to affect you, but there's nothing you can do about it.

Smart thinking

That's not what he was saying. He was saying that when you go home at the end of the day, leave work at work. Don't bring it home with you and complain about it to others.

10. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

all vaild points and I appreciate them. I'm whining about it here....errr well I guess I am but its more I'm getting it off my chest. It actually makes me feel better and after making the thread today work went by better. As far as me taking over and changing the program they won't let me do that. They won't even let my boss do that. We've tried to fix the installers as they give issues with the run in not being filled in for the shortcut or certain .dll's not being registered. Just little things that end up irritating the shit out you. I appreciate the timeyou guys took to listen to me whine (yeah i'll poke fun at it for a while), I've been out of work for a few hours (in school but still out of work) and as soon as I leave the last thing I'm thinking about is work.