SRS work is killing me

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by michaele36, Feb 12, 2006.

1. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

I hate my job. This job is emotionally draining me. i work in a resturant and i'm so sick of it. I hate it because the owners bitch if you dont say "behind you" when you go through the food line and i'm a quiet person so i dont like saying it. Anyway i've been working like 7 or 8 hours more then i want to and i keep asking for off but they dont listen. I'm so sick of this

2. quamen

quamen New Member

yeah man u have to do what makes yourself happy, unless you have some family of your own or you need the money for important bills each month. It sounds like your still young, and most likely live home still. So why put up with a job when u dont even need the money that bad, if that is the case? go find new work and good luck

3. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

i need to work to pay for gas. i plan on quiting by june and starting a dog watching business. unfortinutly theres a chance i'll have to do this the rest of my life because i'm not going to college. i'm going to try to do a dog watching and walking dogs during the day for people.

4. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

Even if that doesn't work out, you still dont' have to work at the restaurant. There's so many other places you can go, just look around. Sure, you might have to risk a lesser pay rate, but just think about what's more worth it? Losing some money, or going to a job every day that hate? You probably would rather lose a few bucks.. There's plenty of jobs out there that can be enjoyable. As a teen I work on the side at a grocery store, the work isn't that fun, but the times with co workers is. And that's all you need, some where where you do simple work everyday and is an overall good place to be in. Why not start looking for a new job right now? Are you really making that much at the restaurant? I know you do get tips there. But, there are other restaurants too, along with other jobs that offer tips.

5. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

yeah but i'm making 350 a week

6. Integrate

Integrate OT Supporter

If your able to get into something that you like learn everything you can about it. Do the best job possible and know that nothing is 'permanent'. One of two things will happen... you will be promoted to manager and laugh at the days when you thought making $350 a week was good money or you will be able to move on with experience and knowledge of all the things you liked and the things you didnt like. Take what you didnt like and try doing it different. Remember college isnt what makes you happy or makes money. Look at presidents and CEO's of companys. Many have ideas and know how to work with people, they hire the MBA's and college grads and boss them around. But definitely find something your interested in and like doing. If you dont like you will never succeed

7. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

I would have to agree.

If you are dead set on not going to college I think the military is your best bet. Ask yourself where you want to be in 10 years (I know it sounds cliche), but do you really want to be trying to run a dog buisness? The military would give you training, and a friend of mine who recently enlisted said there are tons of options for jobs you can do. And if you decide not to continue with the military you could use that training you get a better job.

8. johan

johan Active Member

A few quick observations:

1. Your crappy job in this restaurant can't be all that high-paying. So what's keeping you there?

Why not simply move to another restaurant? There are lots of nicer restaurants. Why stay there and continue to take crap? A restaurant job isn't exactly highly skilled labour, you should be able to take what you know and go somewhere else pretty quickly.

If youre nervous about it, simply start by taking shifts elsewhere and tapering off the shifts at this place.
    Ramp up the other place, and then make sure it's solid. Then...quit. At a time of your choosing.

2. Even a better restaurant....is still a restaurant. Why don't you get out of there first (follow point #1 above) and then, start looking into SCHOOL.

You want a ticket out of that restaurant hellhole? SCHOOL. No other way, realistically. And don't start saying stuff like "lottery" or "rich girlfriend" or some other get rich quick scheme.

The only really sure way to fashion a better life for yourself is......SCHOOL.

Start now while you're still young. It only gets harder as you get older.

9. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

i'm not deadset against college. i'm not joing the military because i think our country has fucked up big time. god i'm confused

10. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

don't join the military. you'd hate it more than your waiter job

bide your time, save up a bit of money, all the while researching what it takes to go into your business venture. then give it a shot.

11. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Anytime I see people complain about their job....I don't know why they don't just leave. I can understand if you're paying mortgage or raising kids that need to be fed it makes it more difficult.....but even then there's always a way.

Even if you don't leave right away, start typing a resume so you can find another job.

Or start buying books to read about starting that new business of yours. Trust me...there's a LOT to learn about going into your own business. Usually local districts with offer Small Business help offices funded Federally to help you with your business plans and tell you how to start. They'll show you how to do accounting, marketing, sales, etc....

If you have no plan at all except that you're going to walk a few neighborhood dogs to support you for the rest of your life, you're in for a painful surprise. If your plan is to build a big business for dog watchers, GREAT!...then you need to start planning now. If you do not plan, you end up just creating another job for yourself that you will end up resenting again.

Camping at your current job that makes you feel so miserable with life just to pull in a paycheck every other week isn't worth it. You gotta do something and not just sit there and whine.