Words of Wisdom For A New Rider

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by FloppyCock, Oct 3, 2007.

1. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I finished the MSF course last Saturday, and I'm riding an 89 Kawasaki EX500.

Any words of wisdom for me?

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

don't be an idiot.

Maintain the bike, learn the bike, keep it in tip top shape.

drive as if you are invisible to everyone else and every car is going to turn into you or cut you off. Majority of accidents can be avoided if you are in this mindset.

respect the bike and it's power, even on a 500 it can still fuck you up.

drive as if you are invisible to everyone else and every car is going to turn into you or cut you off. (worth repeating)

Don't let peer pressure override your common sense.

It's not a goddamn fashion statement. 90% of the aftermarket shit out there may "improve performance" but you and the other 99.5% of riders can't reach the factory's perfomance levels anyways. Leave the idiots that use bikes and reckless riding to try to impress their boyfriends alone.

Get good gear but again, it's not a fashion statement. The $800 Hayden replica helmet is good, but there are $100 helmets out there that are better, just not as flashy. You don't have to spend a ton of money to have good solid gear. Make sure it fits though because if it's uncomfortable, you will be less likely to wear it (unless again you are more worried about impressing boyfriends).

You are just another vehicle sharing the road with a bunch of other vehicles. A bike doesn't give you any special rights or allow you to skirt laws.

the moment you think you're better than the bike and you don't have sponsors paying for your mad racing skillz, get off it and go smack your head into a wall a few times to knock some sense back into it.

drive as if you are invisible to everyone else and every car is going to turn into you or cut you off. (yes, it's that fucking important) People are used to seeing cars/trucks on the roads and a motorcycle, being smaller, takes longer to register on a driver's brain, even if they are looking right at you, especially if you have the sun behind you. YOU ARE INVISIBLE.

Keep the racing/stunting on the track or parking lot if you must be a dumbshit.

Don't be afraid to ask questions from others

Lastly...

enjoy the ride.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  3. zxghostrider

zxghostrider Sometimes you gotta hop on two wheels

The moment you have no fear on a bike......get off ASAP. Bikes, especially sport bikes, get you very cocky very quick. All I can say is just be cautious, but have fun too.....otherwise what's the point.

4. pzdipin

pzdipin New Member

put your feet down before you stop

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Cool man...welcome to riding safely.

Practice what you learned. It really can help save you from crashing. I can't tell you how many times I've scared myself but then I remembered by training, look where you want to go, then I'd ride right out of danger.

I liked the beginning riders course but I wanted a bit more so I've thought about taking some of their advanced courses. But for me, riding is more fun right now. In fact, looks like it's a great night to ride so I'm gonna.

Ride safe and just assume you are invisible. I've heard that car drivers that actually end up crashing with motorcycles have been known to look right at the motorcycle rider before pulling out in front of them. Apparently for a certain group of people, they seem to think we're so small that we aren't really a threat so they don't yield like they would to a car.

I used to not ride with a helmet all the time but now I do. I mean there are all sorts of helmets and it can mean the difference between life and death. I'd rather give myself more chances to live.

Anyways, I'm off to ride. Laters

6. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I ride like a granny right now. At 45 mph, I feel like I'm breaking the sound barrier, so I'm not one of those tools hauling through intersections or weaving through traffic.

I don't have a jacket, and I was looking at the Tourmaster Transition jacket. All the armored jackets I tried on felt like shit, and the Tourmaster was the only comfortable one. Any opinions on it? Should I just stick with an unarmored leather jacket (most comfortable, and it would get non-riding use, as well)?

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

tourmaster makes some top notch stuff and more designed for all day riding/touring. If you can find a good deal, I wouldn't pass it up.
    unarmored leather jackets are better than nothing but of course less than armored (then again those are less than a kevlar flack jacket).

8. Coottie

:rofl:
    man I can totally relate. I remember back when I was first learning to ride that getting on a 3 lane road, where the speed limit is 45 but most people do 55, I was scared to death. It's called Northwest Highway and it's not like an interstate highway but the traffic really flows down that street and it was intimidating as shit to me.

I just kept getting out there on it and eventually it wasn't that big of a deal. Hell back then, interstate highways were out of the question....I was too chicken. But now, I routinely ride on them. But I also have gear to help protect me.

Give it time, you'll get more gear and feel more comfortable on those roads. Just try to get on them once a week till you get more used to them.
    no clue...I just found a jacket I liked and I only wear it when I'm riding. I have other jackets for other occasions but my leather jacket (non riding) is made of super soft leather so it wouldn't be a good riding jacket at all. In fact, my riding jacket is cloth but it's designed specifically for motorcycle riding.

9. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

I have a tourmaster jacket, not quite the same one but similar and I love it.

I think Vermincelli's first post pretty much summed it up as fas as advice to a new rider goes...

10. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

11. McCroskey

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Oct/071007f.htm

[/SIZE]

12. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

and sad as it is, it makes my point, you ride like you are invisible and assume every vehicle around you doesn't see you and will pull in front of you.
    Doesn't matter how good you think you are as a rider, when you forget this thought process, you put yourself into situations like above far more often with no escape route.

13. McCroskey

I agree. Like I said, use your brain, pay attention, it can save your life.

And wear your gear. I got semi-highsided because someone dumped some
    pea-gravel in the road a few weeks ago. Landed on my head but had no
    problems. The gloves, jacket and boots saved my skin and joints. Unfortunately
    I bruised a few ribs and probably broke one but it could have been a lot worse.

14. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

kool man, where you riding in SLO or San Jose? Lots of bikes out here.

Ull get used to it in no time. It took me about a week or so to get comfortable on my bike. I still remember my first week of riding. Every time i would gear up before taking off itd take me forever cuz i was all shakey everywhere :rofl:

definetly get yourself some gear...go try on some stuff at cycle gear. not much point in getting non armored gear

15. Jerm

Jerm I

Opening the throttle can save your ass.

16. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Update:

I got a jacket, and I use the bike to get to school and back. Took it on the highway a few days ago, and at first I was getting buffeted around the lane by the wind, but eventually I got used to it. Still scares the shit out of me to go 60+, but I figure I'll get used to that and be able to cruise comfortably on the highway. Any advice for longer trips (~200 miles)?

17. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

wow a new rider goin from the bay to slo? take it easy out there on 101 the wind can definetly get rough sometimes.

id just practice practice practice around town. check out bayarearidersforum.com

18. Coottie

Yeah you'll get used to the buffeting but crosswinds still suck!!

For longer rides, I always wear a full face helmet and my heavier jacket. They help a lot with the buffeting. I also try to take breaks every hour or so. It's much harder to shift my weight on a bike, like I can in a car, so I need to take more time for breaks when riding long distances.

Also, I'm not sure how tight your helmet is but mine is pretty snug. It feels fine most of the time but after 3 hours, the back edge of my ears start to hurt. After 5 hours in the helmet all I want to do is take it off and not wear it for a week!! One time, my ears hurt so bad, I had to sleep in my recliner cuz I couldn't lay them on the pillow. :)

19. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

It's not too bad.

If you want an interesting route take 25 instead of 101, it's a lot more fun.

good choice in bikes.

check tire pressures religiously, they matter a LOT.

if you need help adjusting valves or some shit let me know, I can help you and go to Poly/live in atascadero.

20. pengboy

pengboy iStunt

dont lane split intill you are comfortable with riding the bike in limited space. even if your friends are doing it, if they arent dicks they'll slow down to wait for you.

21. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Another update:

The chain broke. On the highway. I pulled off to the ridiculously small shoulder and started pushing the bike, and the chain bunched up and wedged in between the sprocket the stopped the back wheel. I propped the bike up, hopped down and yanked the chain out, and a truck passed by close and fast. The pressure wave knocked my bike over, snapping off a rear view mirror. Double fuck.

1) I'm hearing about $50.00 for a new chain, maybe a bit more if I replace the sprockets, too. Is this standard?
    2) How the hell do I get grease off of leather? Because rinsing vigorously with soap just isn't cutting it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  22. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

Yeah, I would replace the sprockets too. It isn't hard or expensive.

The sprockets (together) will be $50ish (well, from bikebandit at least) and a chain will be about $90 for a good O-ring one.

23. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

My Words of Wisdom, probably already said, but worth repeating:

ALWAYS assume the cars don't see you. NEVER ride next to a car for any longer than needed. Stay out of blindspots. Don't tailgate. Get a headlight modulator and brakelight flasher to draw attention to yourself.

24. vile1

vile1 New Member

QFT

I've only EVER done it once, and I felt like the biggest retard on the planet :ugh: