WEB Wordpress & SEO

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Browning, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Browning

Browning Active Member

What are some of the key things to do with wordpress in terms of SEO? I know I could search google but I'm interested in your personal thoughts about this. what works, what doesn't?

I know there are a few key things that help, such as:
    1. All in one SEO pack
    2. Permalink structure (what's better, /%postname%/ or /%category%/%postname%
    3. Don't place irrelevant words in permalinks
    4. Sitemap
    5. ????

What are some other things? Also, does adding nofollow tags to links work at all?

:x:

2. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

Here is what I do:

1. Platinum SEO plugin...also use All-in-one SEO and like it but really diggin Platinum

2. I personally use /%postname%.php for all my permalinks. I prefer to have each page considered a "file" with highly dense keywords rather than a "directory". Of course making sure your post titles are highly dense and detailed and then following up with very related content in the post is up to the writer, but just as important.

3. google sitemap creator - super easy way to have an always updated sitemap. I also usually create a link to this new sitemap page in my footer for fun

4. YARPP (yet another related post plugin) Interlinking between post/pages with related text is important but not always easy unless you plan ahead or pay close attention. So I use "related post" to help keep internal pages interlinked as well as provide related content for readers to find. I like YARPP because it's a one click install...no real need to edit page files to make it work

5. Statpress - good to have as many analytics programs as possible without bogging your site down. I like this because it's very easy to implement and has decent tracking and stats.

I also delete as much as I can from the themes I use, depending on what it's for. For example, the date on each post, the author on each post...all that crap that just dilutes my content and whats important to get indexed. It's also debatable whether using tags, categories, archives and such hurt your rankings because in essence it creates duplicate content.

A good idea to do if it doesn't mess up your flow too much is to only have snippets of each post on your homepage and the full article on the rest of the post page. That way the homepage and post page are not dupes in the search engines eyes. Related to that, rather than just have "continue reading" you can edit it to fit your sites topic more...maybe "more about this laptop deal" or something. Or edit the php so it uses the title of the post "more about posttitle".

That's pretty much all I do.

3. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

i usually used %postname% for my permalinks, like jester said it is better looking that way

and i have noticed it has help in google searches

and i also agree on the cutting the article down on the main page, besides what jester said, i personally think it looks better and also may help grab the user to stay and read other articles and come back to the site

4. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

also kind of related but not, if you plan to do any kind of PPC or even just have adsense on your blog then a good idea to also have a contact page and privacy policy (google TOS).

I use >this plugin< to make a really quick and easy contact page/form.

And I use something like >this stie< to build a quick and easy privacy policy to paste into a new page.

And lastly I use >this link< to do funny things like dickroll people who click links before reading (decided to go with one of the tame dickroll options as not to piss everyone off lol)

5. Browning

Browning Active Member

1. Are there any differences between the two?

2. Wasn't aware that I could do this. Are there any drawbacks to having it end in .php? I will most likely try this.

3. How often should a sitemap be updated? Just when new pages/categories are made or after more major changes?

4. Never used it. Looks like it's worth a shot though. :coold:

5. I've been using statpress reloaded on a couple other blogs.:bowdown:

Thanks for posting all of that by the way:bigthumb:

6. Browning

Browning Active Member

I have yet to add a privacy page to all of my sites that use adsense:noes:

thanks for the links. :bowdown:

7. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

I will have to try that seo too, and i agree i am liking statpress too :bowdown:

8. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

1. mostly the same but Platinum seems to have some deeper, or at least more convenient, controls. For example, I like being able to set the "index, follow" or "index, nofollow" details at a post by post level. Just makes it super fast and easy. As far as I have noticed it has all the positive things as all-in-one too. But only been using it for a short time so far.

2. To be honest, I don't know if there would be any drawbacks but I haven't noticed any. I've seen what seems to be better indexing but could have just been me being over eager and watching lol. I do think it hurts but don't know for sure.

3. I like to make sure all my content is on there personally so if I add a new post/page I like it to be updated. But I'm lazy and get sidetracked a lot so I like that it does it for me ;).

4. yep, super easy to use. Most of the others "related post" plugins I have used or seen require you to edit page files and such. This one doesn't unless you really want to customize it.

5. I actually haven't been using it very long but loving it already. Find stuff that both awstats and analytics don't give me.