WEB Wordpress: Pages vs. Posts for SEO?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I've got some "content sites" that are using wordpress that have around 15 different pages of content, but I made them all "pages" rather than "posts" because I think it looks better.

That being said, is there a difference as far as SEO goes between using pages and using posts? Or is the only difference superficial -- how WP refers to them? I'm wondering because the pages and posts both have the same naming convention, www.domain.com/postname/ and www.domain.com/pagename/. Are there any other differences between them? Do search engines prefer "posts" because they're somehow different?

I've noticed that WP auto-pings when you publish a new post, but not when you publish a new page. Does that matter? I can manually ping (I use MBP Ping Optimizer anyway which tells me exactly when things ping).

2. subwoofer

subwoofer OT Supporter

I don't think there are any differences. If they are structured the same way, and maybe the only difference on the actual site is say... comments are enabled on posts, but not pages, then it should not affect your seo.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Cool. I disable all comments on these sites, anyway.

4. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

pages = page titles = more focus on specific post content = good

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

But posts have post titles, too, and they also show up in the URL. I would assume they're handled the same way :dunno:

I still like using pages for content, tho.

Thanks!