WEB WordPress for Many Users

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Spaceering, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

Is wordpress able to handle many users? Say I have 300 people that want to interact and share stories, recipies, experiences. 300 people that can publish to the same blog at any given time. Is wordpress suitable for this type of thing? Or is it more suitable for one person to publish their life story (blog)?

Is there some other platform that would be better to use for a lot of people publishing stuff and can be commented on? Would drupal be better for this?

2. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

The blog module in Drupal handles this functionality by default.

4. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

5. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

MU handles multiple separate blogs from one codebase. (Poorly.)

I haven't really looked at vBulletin's blogging features, but I think they are also separate blogs; it's also a fairly new featureset from them, so I wouldn't choose vBulletin if blogs were my primary focus.

WordPress by default will already allow multiple people to post to the same blog, you just have to make them a "contributor" on that blog.

6. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Regular wordpress should handle what you want just fine.

7. fishbulb

fishbulb Active Member

8. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

all great ideas. I like plain old word press. I like mu since people can just create accounts themselves. Would there be a plugin for wordpress where anyone can just create the account themselves, or is that always something the admin or appointed role would have to fill? Rolemanager is great once an account is established, but until then?

drupal looks like win too :eek3:

9. .Tim

.Tim New Member

You can allow them to create accounts with regular wordpress. You just set it to assign new users to whatever group you want them to be in.

10. Ev0lv3

Ev0lv3 New Member

vbulletin would work with vBadvanced.

Have it only follow one forum, and have only those people able to post in that forum. *shrug*

Wordpress would do it too.

11. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

For mutiple blogs, I always recommend Drupal. This is what it excels at.

12. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

I am leaning more towards this actually. I was messing with mu last night....it is pretty weird. I like wordpress a lot-but idk about mu. maybe i need to give it more time

could you recommend any sites that run on drupal and are multiple blogs?

I am going to do a bit of searching now, but maybe you know of a site i would not otherwise find :eek3:

13. Deviance

Deviance Can't you smell that smell? OT Supporter

My mu site is damn near impossible to keep the spammers off of. 95% of the blogs are spammers. At least they update multiple times a day.

I really like the vbulletin blog framework, it just feels a little bulky. Blogs will be included as part of VB 4.0.

I've been messing with this a bit lately. Check it out.
    http://expressionengine.com/

You can set up multiple blogs, or just one. Full user control over who can do what etc. It's not too bad.

14. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

A quick and good example is swtor.com Many sections have many blogs. The thing that makes drupal a superior choice in my opinion is the way it handles the content. Basically, content is a 'node'. The rest is up to you. There are various types of nodes. Nodes are categorized various ways, including individual authors/users. Nodes are displayed in 'blocks'. The better drupal sites are set up with block zones. You can move your nodes around in blocks drag and drop style. The blocks can be defined. So on and so forth. It's a really logical way of content publishing. Check out topnotchthemes.com for some good examples of what a truely functional drupal theme looks like. Not really pitching their style, but they atleast at the proper functionality that makes drupal good.

My only "complaint" with drupal is that the wordpress community is larger. There are so many EASY mods for WP. Drupal is still a nerds domain. Apparently this is changing with Drupal 7.0, but you know how long it takes for a major upgrade to be adapted. Eventually, I'll want to convert my personal blog from wordpress to drupal. Maybe within the next 2 years.

Drupal is a 'solid' rock of a website. Wordpress is more of a brick structure - strong, built tough, but many pieces. Just my 2 cents.:wavey: