Word still out on swimming promoting fat storage? (Ceaze)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Peyomp, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Ceaze I think, posted a preliminary study some years ago about swimming encouraging fat storage. Any new info on this? Reason I ask is that I was layed up in bed for a month, and I keep having headaches still, and so I'm swimming several times a day as a de-stressor, and as a way to get my wind back. Its low impact, which is important because moving around alot hurts my head. My cardiovascular system is pathetic from being bed-ridden for a month, but I could stand to lose some pudge too, so I'm curious about that study and any that may have been conducted since.

Close this thread and I will eat your first born with fava beans.

2. hitmikey

hitmikey DRIVEN FROM WITHIN

i find it hard to believe since swimming is a very trying exercise, yet i found this online:

From a 1990 study. Another link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2286481&dopt=Abstract

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Interesting..

4. lif

lif New Member

i loled

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Righteous post. So we're really talking about the difference between sprints and low intensity cardio here, and the different macronutrient utilization (carb/fat ratio) of each. Swimmers do high intensity sprints, runners run a long way at a lower intensity.

Thats good. Because the most effective fat burning I ever did was interval training after resistance training. So, perhaps swimming will be effective for me after all.

If only it would stop lightening...

6. hip hippo

hip hippo Eric Berry, son.

Why were you bed ridden for a month?

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Well... its kinda funny, so I'll tell it.

I started having pre-orgasmic headaches. Whenever I was starting to feel like I was gonna cum when having sex, getting a BJ, or masturbating, I got a severe headache. Like a 10 out of 10 on the pain scale. Lady friend had to run get me ice one time and it lasted 2 hours with me moaning and chomping tylenol/aleve/advil, and it kept up a little bit for the next 12 hours.

So I went to the doctor. The workup for sex headache involves an MRI. I was scheduled for an MRI/MRA of my brain a week later He tells me if the condition worsens at all, to go to the ER.

My condition worsens. I get a horrible headache the next day, and its not from sex. This is new. I call the doctor. He tells me to go to the ER.

I go to the ER. They shoot me up with some shite. It helps. They do a CT scan, and a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to verify that I do not have a brain bleed.

Now, the doctor doing the spinal tap was an ER doctor. And... compared to anaesthesiologists, who do them all the time, they suck at spinal taps. So, he had to go in three times, and he punctured the spinal dura repeatedly, apparently.

After he finishes up, I have to lay there an hour, and I go home.

The next day I develop a spinal headache. I can't balance, my ears ring, and I experience extreme and overwhelming pain. I call for some pain pills. They give me some lightweight shit for tension headaches. After a couple days, I am back in the ER with severe pain. Demerol makes me silly. More bloodwork. The MRI says I'm fine.

A spinal headache is caused by a spinal tap, when the hole doesn't seal and the cerebrospinal fluid leaks out the hole. This makes the brain sag in your head, and causes extreme discomfort. They can be avoided by a good doctor by using certain needles at a certain angle. I didn't have one of those.

One cure is to lie down and let the hole heal. I lied around for several weeks, and it did not fix me. I still couldn't drive, or stand up much. So they performed an epidural blood patch, which is when they take blood from your arm and inject it into your back where the spinal tap was done, only right outside of the spinal dura, instead of right inside it. The blood clots, and the hole is patched.

Since then I've been much better. The spinal headache is cured (I think). I still have regular headaches though. And stomping around makes em worse. So I swim for exercise.

Cause my wind got so pathetic from a month in bed/doctors' offices/hospital that I can't do much without getting winded. I'm trying to get some endurance again.

Oh, and now I'm shitting black blood stuff from all the NSAIDs I've been taking.

My life rules.

8. Layman

Layman New Member

9. hip hippo

hip hippo Eric Berry, son.

God damn, that's quite a story. Glad you're getting better though. :)

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i would think the fat storage would be insignificant if anything

11. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

:eek4: :eek4: :eek4: :eek4:

:hug:

hope you getbetter broly

12. etech

etech New Member

"Oh, and now I'm shitting black blood stuff from all the NSAIDs I've been taking."

Try glutamine or raw cabbage juice.

Another item to look at is deglycyrrhizinated licorice.

Rough story, good luck.

13. hitmikey

hitmikey DRIVEN FROM WITHIN

Uhm....

What was the cause of these sex-related headaches?

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Fucked if I know. I've searched pubmed, and it said they are a type of cluster headache. I found some studies that say they are from localized vaso-constriction in the brain during the hormonal changes just before orgasm. They did a study on women with their heads in an MRI, while masturbating, that have this condition. I've been cleared of all major problems through the repeated scans of my head. So it must be this 'benign sex headache.' Which has actually passed. I can cum and not get a headache now. Sex, with myself, BJ, all clear. This is what usually happens: the orgasmic headaches just pass in a few weeks.

But the doctor says its a kind of migraine. And... I'm having alot of headaches all the time. I'm under alot of stress, so thats probably not helping. And I'm in front of a screen 12+ hours a day, but I can't stop because I run a business and... I have all these medical bills to pay.

Its a viscious cycle. Swimming helps alot with the stress. I need someone to help with the shit I'm doing for the business, and about a week on a beach not doing shit, I think.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Whats that stuff gonna do? My belly is churning, and I feel like shit. I feel another blood poop coming.

16. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

masturbating < not shitting black stuff

lol i dont know what to say, sounds fuckin horrible. i would suggest not ever orgasming again, but that might give you a worse headache thinking about it... good luck dude.

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Oh well, I just ordered Dextrose and Whey for a shot of protein/carbs post swim.

18. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

Sounds fucked up, good luck and make sure you DONT overstress yourself swimming.

19. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

20. etech

etech New Member

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/drcathywongsanswers/a/HeartburnQandA.htm

http://www.nutrimed.com/news_tag.html

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...age&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7&client=firefox-a

"...
    Alternative treatment

Alternative treatments can relieve symptoms and promote healing of ulcers. A primary goal of these treatments is to rebalance the stomach's hydrochloric acid output and to enhance the mucosal lining of the stomach.

Food allergies have been pointed to as a major cause of peptic (stomach) ulcers. An elimination/challenge diet can help identify the allergenic food(s) and continued elimination of these foods can assist in healing the ulcer. People with ulcers should not take aspirin. They also should stop smoking, since smoking irritates the mucosal lining of the stomach. Antacids should be avoided by anyone with an ulcer, because they can cause a rebound effect of increasing gastric acid secretion, as well as deplete vital nutrients necessary for healing. Stress reduction is also important for ulcer sufferers.

Botanical medicine offers a variety of remedies that may be helpful in ulcer treatment. Deglycyrrhizinated licorice or DGL, in a chewable or powder form, can help heal the mucous membranes and increase mucous so that it mixes with saliva to protect the membranes. Raw cabbage juice, high in glutanic acid, is very effective in healing an ulcer (one quart per day in divided doses). Soothing herbs, such as plantain (Plantago major), marsh mallow (Althaea officinalis), and slippery elm (Ulmus fulva); astringent herbs, such as geranium (Pelargonium odoratissimum); and the anitmicrobial herb goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) can all be effective. Nutritionists advise taking antioxidant nutrients, including vitamins A, C, and E, zinc, and selenium.
    ...."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...tool=iconabstr&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

Effect of deglycyrrhizinated liquorice on gastric mucosal damage by aspirin.

Rees WD, Rhodes J, Wright JE, Stamford LF, Bennett A.

Gastric mucosal damage induced by giving 60 mg aspirin orally to rats was reduced by simultaneous administration of 100-500 mg deglycyrrhizinated liquorice. Human faecal blood loss induced by 975 mg aspirin orally three times a day was less when 350 mg deglycyrrhizinated liquorice was given with each dose of aspirin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=772652
    Deglycyrrhizinized liquorice in the treatment of chronic duodenal ulcer. A retrospective endoscopic survey of 32 patients.

Larkworthy W, Holgate PF.

Endoscopic examination in 32 cases of chronic duodenal ulceration treated with deglycyrrhizinized liquorice tablets showed that healing of the ulceration had occurred and in the majority the mucosa appeared normal. For optimum effect it appears to be important that the preparation in adequate dosage should be well chewed and swallowed on an empty stomach in the ambulant patient.

----
    Look like it would be worth trying. The licorace is fairly inexpensive and making raw cabbage juice would also not cost much.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Thanks, man. I need my NSAIDs! :) I really appreciate you taking the time. I'll look into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.