Word (.doc) file opens up with partial jibberish

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Alt+F4, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

I'm a tech at a school district. This morning one of the asst superintendents told me that her 50 PAGE DOCTORAL DISSERTATION was on a .zip disk and now it's not opening correctly. She wants me to fix it. Yes she's a total retard, yes she should have saved it in 25 places, and yes this shouldn't really be my problem. But it is a good way to have her owe me forever, and I'd like that.

So here goes...

From what I understand, most of this was written on her laptop, an XP Pro machine with Office 97 (yeah, no shit). Apparently this was a 50 page document, and all of a sudden it's over 600 pages, mostly junk (see image).

[​IMG]

Some of the text is there, as you can see, but after page 20 or so, it's 500+ pages of those little squares. I've tried opening in Word 97, Work 2000, IE, Wordpad. All of it is junk. Any clues as to how I can fix this? As much as I'd love to laugh in her face as I tell her that her dissertation is gone, it'd be much better to have her owe me big time.

Thanks.

2. Black Light

Black Light Guest

have u tried running CHKDSK and ZIP drive's own data repair utilities? :hsugh:

3. Alt+F4

Yes, CHKDSK is fine. I don't think it's a zip issue since there are about 20 other docs on this disk and they open fine. Sorry, forgot to mention that earlier.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Have you tried opening it in other formats? She may have accidently saved it in a different format without realizing it.

5. Alt+F4

Yeah, it's a word document. I tried opening it up in several diff versions of Word, as well as Wordpad and IE. All just diff types of jibberish. I'm beginning to think the file is just corrupt.

6. irichie

irichie New Member

file is damaged or corrupt .. just salvage what you can .. usually its just the proprietary word formatting that gets scrambled .. the actual text part should be ok