A&P woot..just got my largest job

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by joy division, Dec 11, 2006.

1. joy division

joy division New Member

I didn't think I would get it, thought I overbid...but just got the call- pretty excited..my second 1k+ job this month. My first real estate job ever :ugh: a bit nervous.

A year ago I didn't own a camera or know anything about them, I :heart: this stuff. Sorry for the gay thread, a little excited.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Residential real estate? Commercial? Doing photo's for listings? I'm guessing it is multiple listings since it is over 1k?

3. mandarin orange

mandarin orange OT Supporter

what exactly is the job?

4. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

5. joy division

joy division New Member

One property..working with the art director for a $10 million dollar 8 story building, each story is one loft...he contacted me from a local band I shot.

6. joy division

joy division New Member

If the company likes the results it's on like donkey kong... real estate in denver/surrounding areas is going up...TONS of development, extremely lucky that I get to start with exclusive luxury lofts.

7. mandarin orange

mandarin orange OT Supporter

nice, good job. i wish i could get a gig like that or something.

8. copperkali

copperkali Mrs. Nicklk

Congrats :h5:

9. famous

famous OT Supporter

congrats!
    how'd you go about getting your first concert gig?

10. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

Congrats ...

a foot in is always great

11. joy division

joy division New Member

It wasn't a concert gig- actually for their upcoming album (band is born in the flood, touring with the fray who are getting alot of publicity- on mtv and all that jazz). My story for the past year:

I basically started by shooting everything...I noticed I liked people the most, I started shooting concerts and street photography in the very beginning...not paid of course. I shot a few bands live, they saw it, I moved to denver and got a gig being the exclusive shooter for a youth lifestyle/culture/music/art magazine. Met tons of people, got tons of practice....just started building up equipment and getting my name out there.

Working 12 hour days 6-7 days a week for the past 3-4 months, working non stop- always being visible and having your name out there is kind of what it takes. Takes it toll though, I get burnt out easily; I have a 9-5 as well but if things keep going nicely that won't last long.

Being a good photographer is a start, but you have to be really good at talking and pimping yourself out- once a few people say that you are good then a lot of people start to listen. That's about all the advice I could give, and I still have tons and tons to learn.

12. joy division

joy division New Member

The other big gig is Tyler's (dj of lipgloss) brothers wedding :wavey:

13. copperkali

copperkali Mrs. Nicklk

:coold:

14. canonshooter

canonshooter New Member

not to be negative, but prepare yourself to be hounded by the art director the entire time you are shooting. :hs:

15. :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :werd: :o

16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Have you ever shot real estate before? its not easy work. I hope to God he has never worked with an experienced shooter before, if he has, you are in deep doo doo buddy. I'm not trying to scare you, but I have been shooting a long time, I have assisted a lot for a photographer that shoots hotels and I wouldnt even consider doing it at this point. Huge work and you really have to know what you are doing.

An average hotel room will use 3-5 strobes and a number of individual little hot lights. We will change bulbs to keep from things blowing out and to match WB, we will scrim windows to keep them from blowing out and retaining details in the sheers, we will do tricks to keep reflections out of tvs, pictures, mirrors and other reflective objects, we will often use props, iron linens, and create other details to make things look its best.

its big work and you need to have a real eye for the details. If the AD is expecting that kind of work because he is used to working with an experienced shooter, you could be in trouble. You may want to make sure he TRULY knows your skillset at this point so you dont end up killing your rep if you show up highly under equipped for the job.

Good Luck.

17. mojito

mojito New Member

hope it goes well, but I'd find out what they are expecting. Have you ever done any distortion control? color balance lights? expose for both inside and outside? etc etc

architectual shooting ins't easy if they expect big time results. Theres a company locally that keeps trying to take me out to lunch to talk about doing the same thing for them, but I keep telling them they probably aren't going to get what they need. I'd probably have to get a FF and some T/S lenses to do it.

18. If archatectural art directors are anything like fashion art directors you're going to have fun, bring tissues... :Ownedd:

:rofl: :rofl:

19. joy division

joy division New Member

It was between me and 2 older (40-50 year old) photographers, I got the job- all the developers saw was my portfolio (I only met with the ad). I'm assuming that I underbid the other guys- otherwise I feel very sorry for them (I have nothing but lifestyle/portraits in my portfolio- I know they were both very competant "old style" safe photographers).

FF, 14mm, 17-40...strobes.

yes. yes. yes.

I know what they are expecting, I've gone through the property already with the art director and had a long interview with him....it will not be easy- as I said in my other thread asking for some other semi-related advice (which neither of you bothered to respond to...) I have the utmost respect for architectural shooting and understand it takes so much to have a simple clean great shot...

would love to hear some of those tricks? Anything you can throw my way.

20. joy division

joy division New Member

either way it will be a learning experience.

21. mojito

mojito New Member

didn't even open the other thread, HDR's aren't my thing. As long as your own the same page, hopefully it will be ok. I just see time after time newbs get in over the heads and it gets ugly (nothing personal)

bring a 4x5 :dunno:

small flashes (with a peanut slave) are a good way of going. Easier to hide behind a plane or fixture or something. I took a class from a acrhitectural photog (just a gen photo class) and she showed us a few tricks, but its a really involved and complicated field.

22. have a good tripod?

23. joy division

joy division New Member

Do I need a tripod? I was thinking hand held.

:hsugh:

24. joy division

joy division New Member

yeah I'm wishing I had more small speedlights to hide around- the model loft basically has no walls, all windows...should be interesting.

25. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Nice info in this thread. Great job landing this. I did real estate before too. There are SO many variables, glare, room temp, hot spots, etc. I'd take a long hard look at some others' work and try to get it right. It isn't as easy as it looks. You could secure a good spot with this or ruin yourself in one day. Good luck!