Woohoo, new video card!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Highlander_77, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Highlander_77

Highlander_77 Wicked smaht

Ok, I just upgraded my video card from my first generation Geforce 3 to the recently price-reduced Radeon 9700 Pro. The only lingering doubt in my mind is whether I would have been better off waiting for the Radeon 9800, or trying to track down a Geforce FX 5800 Ultra. Of course, I didn't really want to spend $400 on a video card, which was why I initially opted for the 9700. But does anyone think that the benefits of the latest cards on the market may actually make them worth the extra $100?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

It mostly depends on what you are going to do with the new card. If you are going to play the latest and greatest games that can take advantage of the new features in these cards then the extra would have been worth it. But if you are a mild gamer then you got a good deal.

3. Highlander_77

That's just it, games that will actually take advantage of the features in the newest cards probably won't start hitting store shelves for at least a year...frankly, I probably could have stuck with the Geforce 3 for awhile longer (Unreal II ran fine on the GF3, even at 1280x1024 with all FX cranked all the way up), but I've had it awhile and was in the mood to blow some money on a shiny new toy :big grin: . But yeah, I don't play games on my PC all that much (more of a console gamer most of the time), so I think I'll do fine with card for quite awhile...and by the time there are games that actually tax this card, the Radeon 10000 will probably be out...

4. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

yo do you play counter-strike in opengl with that card? if so hows it run?

5. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

and how do you like the card overall

6. BowtieGuy

BowtieGuy Guest

so, how much for the gf3? :naughty:

7. Highlander_77

Unfortunately I don't play counter strike, so I can't comment on that. But I've been very impressed with the card's overall performance so far (not that I've had a lot of time to play with it much yet). I went from a score of 8885 in 3D Mark 2001 SE, to a score of 14,075 :eek: , and from 1103 to 4636 in 3D Mark 2003.

8. Highlander_77

:rofl: Sorry, I'm going to be using in to upgrade my mom's computer for her...I'd rather get some more use from it, since I paid $400 for the damn thing when it was first released (the main reason why I didn't want to spend that much again...)

9. BowtieGuy

BowtieGuy Guest

lol, ok :\ thanks anyway

10. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Bottom line. ;)

11. M4A1

M4A1 :)

i know ppl who play CS w/ the 9700. they easily get a solid 100 fps, with or without AA on.